Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If I'm destroying it, then leave. But I'm not going anywhere. I kinda like it here, and I've got no issues. You're the one doing all the whining.

Bottom line: you don't tell Americans what language they can or can't speak.
No you leave instead of trying to tell everybody what you think they should be doing. I like it here too........I don't like you clowns telling me how to live. You think you have that authority though for some reason.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Speaking a foreign language is not disrespectful, don't know where you learned that nonsense from

FYI, America is actually two continents, North and South America.
So we cannot say The United States of America? BTW, what did you do with Central America?

It is bad manners to be a member of a group, and purposely excluding other members of the group by either whispering in hushed tones, or speaking a foreign language which the excluded members do not understand.

It's just rude in social or professional gatherings. When all parties to a group were invited to share some event or experience together, and certain members go out of their way to exclude other members from their conversations, it's rude.

I'm sorry if common social etiquette is too hard of a concept for you to grasp.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
You can walk through any large city and hear a potpourri of languages on the streets.

What's rude or wrong about that?
Quote:
Fear...

It's amazing how crazy people can become when they're scared.

Hispanics have you folks shook...real bad too.

I've rarely seen people so damn afraid. You hear a little Spanish and go cowering in a closet.
We're not going to agree on this so there's no point in arguing about it.

P.S. I speak Spanish too.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I used to workas an assistant in a Title 1 school in Florida. Spanish, or Creole, were the primary languages of the kids. In class the kids had to speak English. When they had free time, centers or playground, they could speak whatever they wanted, but had to be respectful of the other kids who did not understand their language.

Very young children adapt to other languages. By the end of the year these Head Start kids were all fluent in English, and many of them had also learned a lot of Spanish and Creole.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
You can't and shouldn't ban rude behavior.

End of story.
Oh really? So schools don't ban the use of terms like ni**er, fa**ot, we*back, s*ic, c**ink? Or do you not think those terms are rude? Or since you said behavior rather than speech...can a boy go around grabbing girls azzes in school? Come on, in this era of political correctness, rude behavior is banned all the time, especially in schools.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Quote:
You can't and shouldn't ban rude behavior.

End of story.
Interesting, your comments reflect the type of person/parent you are ...

Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Lol, someone in here seems to forget that the primary language of black Americans is English also. Whites and blacks combined make up the majority in this country. So no, speaking English is not just a white anglo thing and we aren't going to lose the English language to an arrogant, ethnocentric group who refuse to assimilate to our nation's language and especially not to a bunch of illegal invaders.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What does Putin have to do in this thread? Nothing.........getting desperate? It appears so. What next blame Bush? Yes that is your folks game..............I will await the Bush blaming and laugh.
We live in a country that allows freedom to speak whatever language you want, don't like it, go to Russia.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardA

When my parents put me in preschool back in the
early 80s, the operator suggested that they stop speaking their native language
to me. Evidently I was mixing up English and Twi, thus harming my English
mastery. My parents dutifully complied
because they didn't come to America for
me not to reach my full potential. I guess those were different times. Today
such a suggestion would be met with outrage, media scrutiny and dismissal.
That's actually a terrible idea. It's how kids lose their mother tongue.
Kid here slip effortlessly between French and English, and often a third language.
Listening to parents speaking improper English, because they're immigrants, often harms a kid's mastery of English.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
I can speak Spanish and 2 other languages. .. Nobody is offended by it so let's keep your emotions out of this.

This is about kids speaking a different language in a classroom , a language that is not our primary language, causing a distraction or interruption.

That's like me being in a Chinese school speaking french to a buddy of mine. It's rude and disrespectful not only to the teacher but to the classmates. Kids are in school to learn and listen to whats going on , not listen to some foreign language in the background. Save that stuff after class , lunch , before class, or out of school.

Being a distraction in school does not violate your freedom of speech .. Nobody is saying they are not allowed to speak at all.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-20-2014 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies