Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Please cite some recent examples of the Christian right committing atrocities.
I do think you need to define your term. Just who are you talking about? If it's who I think it is, they don't have much political power.
Lol...you.made sure to throw in the word "recent."

I ain't mad at'cha.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM

279 posts, read 183,166 times
Just rephrase your title to:

Do Christian fundamentalists share many social values with Muslim fundamentalists?

And everything is clear.... lol let's not forget Christianity and Islam are both abrahamic religions and share many values inherited from Judaism which both religions used as a stepping stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
It seems like there are many similarities, whether it's attitude towards gays, premarital sex, women's rights, honor killings, punishment for crimes, use of alcohol/drugs, holy wars, solution to middle east crisis.

Do you see similarities?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The teachings of Jesus Christ involves things like stoning people. Do you see much of that in your neighborhood?
Do they? Can you quote some of that? Or does "involve" include saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Leviticus 24:16 ESV / 11 helpful votes
Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 ESV / 15 helpful votes
“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
You said "teachings of Jesus," not "teachings of Moses."

Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Being against religious fundamentalism isn't the same as being anti-religion.
This. I'm all for religion and people practicing what they believe. however, saidreligion should stay personal.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
From my personal observation and from my own personal experiences I feel that organized religion in general(no matter the particular religion) seems to manifest a similar line of thinking amongst the people partaking in it-due to what is taught and often cast as right, wrong, sin, etc. So based on my personal experience I've observed that there are many "social" values that are embraced across these religions or at the very least certain actions seen as "sinful" and wrong collectively amongst those that participate in an organized religion. The line of thinking and the "reasoning" often involved, seems to be very similar, even if the religions are very different. So I would say yes, it is possible that there are some people of the Christian right that share social values with Muslim Fundamentalist, whether it is admitted or not. This is of course my opinion based on my experiences. I no longer participate in organized religion and even find it extremely limiting and potentially harmful to those that participate in it, but that's another subject.

Last edited by Faith2187; 03-19-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Please cite some recent examples of the Christian right committing atrocities.
I do think you need to define your term. Just who are you talking about? If it's who I think it is, they don't have much political power.
Thread isn't about atrocities, it's about values

Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep.

Our constitution constrains them from doing what they REALLY want to do.

If the Christian right really had their way completely unfettered, they'd be one hell of a rival to Sharia.
I can think of any number of groups that if given the reins to make things the way they want....it would be pretty awful for most of us normal people.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can think of any number of groups that if given the reins to make things the way they want....it would be pretty awful for most of us normal people.
Yep. So can I.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I doubt the OP's objective was that... but I'll be very blunt and say yes the Christian Right is the problem in America.
The problem is the "Christian right" has abandoned the philosophies of Jesus, and exchanged them for the philosophies of Fox news, Rush radio, and republican CEO politicians.

The Christian right no longer supports helping the poor with welfare or high min wage.
They no longer support the heal the sick philosophy of Jesus, and they oppose healthcare for all, and they oppose medicaid.
And they abandoned the peaceful desires of Jesus, and they desire a America with a large and aggressive military. ex.ex.ex.

Worse they abandoned the camel parable and they say "the rich made all the right choices", while they live their lives fighting for corporate tax cuts.

The corporate mechanism that has taken control of Americas Christian right is the problem.

Last edited by chad3; 03-19-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies