Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times

Advertisements

I dont care either way.. I just think this sounds absurd, desperate:
Quote:
Bipartisan leaders from Northern Plains states joined the oil industry in
calling for approval of the Keystone XL oil pipeline for national security's
sake

Read more: Keystone XL backers say it's a matter of national security - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Hoeven said in a statement part of the turmoil in Eastern Europe is tied to the region's dependence on Russia for energy supplies. More energy from North American reserves would help prevent a similar crisis at home.
Keystone XL backers say it's a matter of national security - UPI.com

I am having a hard time connecting the dots of how allowing another country to build, an aquifer risking, pipeline from our north border to our southern port for export, would help our national reserves or our national security. In fact, this pipeline will actually increase the price of gas in most US states.

Consumer Watchdog Report Shows Keystone XL Raises American Gas Prices | Consumer Watchdog

Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I dont care either way.. I just think this sounds absurd, desperate:
No, it's absurdly desperate.

Budwater Beer has more of an impact on National Security than Keystone ever could.

I'll tell you where this is at now....they sunk a lot of money into it thinking the US would be an easy pushover due to the economic situation (with jobs) and now it's more about not becoming Enron than it is anything else.

Tar sands does not lower gasoline prices....it increases them....

Mircea

Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Keystone XL backers say it's a matter of national security - UPI.com

I am having a hard time connecting the dots of how allowing another country to build, an aquifer risking, pipeline from our north border to our southern port for export, would help our national reserves or our national security. In fact, this pipeline will actually increase the price of gas in most US states.

Consumer Watchdog Report Shows Keystone XL Raises American Gas Prices | Consumer Watchdog

so true. It benefits only the countries where it is exported.

No "job creation" in US.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
so true. It benefits only the countries where it is exported.
It's a huge risk for the US to take for nothing.

Those people do not understand that tar sands is not oil...it's tar mixed with sand and then has petroleum distillates added to reduce the viscosity to flow through a pipeline.

McDonald's might as well start serving Toluene-Mustard and Turpentine-Honey dips with their McPseudo-chicken McNuggets to get Americans used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No "job creation" in US.
Well, spill clean-up and decontamination. That would take years, more than a decade.

Does that count?...

Mircea

Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it's absurdly desperate.

Budwater Beer has more of an impact on National Security than Keystone ever could.

I'll tell you where this is at now....they sunk a lot of money into it thinking the US would be an easy pushover due to the economic situation (with jobs) and now it's more about not becoming Enron than it is anything else.

Tar sands does not lower gasoline prices....it increases them....

Mircea
What! This country will fall to pieces without that pipeline.

The notion is so absurd that I'm shocked any advocate can say it with a straight face.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have a better idea. Build refineries near the tar sands and sell the oil to US customers using the existing distribution system. The only problem with this idea is it might actually drop oil prices in the US along with imports from the Middle East. That cannot be allowed to happen.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have a better idea. Build refineries near the tar sands and sell the oil to US customers using the existing distribution system. The only problem with this idea is it might actually drop oil prices in the US along with imports from the Middle East. That cannot be allowed to happen.
I like this idea. Does anyone here not like this idea, and if not, why?

Perhaps we should submit it to those in congress who are so concerned about our National Security.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I like this idea. Does anyone here not like this idea, and if not, why?
It's totally useless.

Oils are like grapes. Different grapes are used to make different wines. Different oils are used to make different products.

Tar sands oil is useless to Americans. There are no American who would ever want tar sands oil. Tar sands oil is designated for export only.

No Americans what product refined from tar sands oil. All products from tar sands are designated for export only. Which is the same for Unita Black Wax, Oklahoma Heavy, California Heavy, Alaskan North Slope and all other heavy, very heavy and tar/bitumens (like Black Wax and tar sands), as well as fracked oils.

Why? Sulfur. Those are all low yield gasoline high Sulfur oils.

Why do you think the US is exporting finished gasoline and finished diesel?

Because it's all made from high Sulfur garbage oils which cannot be sold in the US.

I'll say this as gently and easily as possible --- there is no possible way chemically, physically, economically or financially that tar sands oil could ever possibly reduce the price of gasoline in the US....

It's a matter of chemistry, physics, economics and finances....

Mircea

Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
However, there hasn't been a new refinery in Canada since 1984, and many observers say that's unlikely to change any time soon, whether in B.C. or elsewhere.
Oil refining is a volatile, low-margin business, they say, and it's far cheaper and much simpler to export crude to countries that already have refineries ready and willing to process it, particularly the United States and China.
Should Canada refine its own oilsands bitumen? - Politics - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies