Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Giving someone a tax cut doesn't give them anything, it lets them keep something that they have earned.

It would be like me stealing your car, then giving you back the dry cleaning in the back seat and saying I gave you a shirt and tie.
You said "Giving someone a tax cut doesn't give them anything."

But a $100 tax cut gives you $100.
And a $200 tax cut gives you $200.

That Fox news/Rush phrase needs some work.

Try saying this instead, "Giving someone a tax cut lets them keep something that they have earned."
(the above statement is accurate.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
A $100 tax cut gives you $100.
No. It let's you keep $100 more of what you've earned.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 AM

279 posts, read 183,255 times
Which is the exact same thing since you have a $100 more that you can spend. Stop nitpicking and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. It let's you keep $100 more of what you've earned.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin2014 View Post
Which is the exact same thing since you have a $100 more that you can spend.
It's not the same thing. You have to earn it to keep it. You aren't given anything. If one earns no income, that tax cut doesn't let one keep anything more. The non-earner isn't given anything, either.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stronger economic growth from a lower capital gains tax rate would raise government revenues from all tax sources. A macroeconomic analysis by Allen Sinai found that a capital gains tax rate of 15 percent would raise more revenue than a 20 percent rate because GDP, employment, and stock prices would be higher.18 Similarly, a study by Stephen Entin found that long-run GDP and government revenues would be higher with a 15 percent capital gains tax rate than a 24 percent rate.19
http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f...df/tbb-066.pdf
There is no evidence that shows that lowering taxes, whose rates are not confiscatory, increases economic activity. None.

We only need to look at the last few decades to prove it. Clinton raised taxes and economic activity skyrocketed (even though the GOP said the tax-increases would tank the economy.) Bush lowered taxes and economic growth and job creation was weak.

Showing something from CATO is not proof. CATO is not an independent organization. CATO is an agenda driven organization that creates 'research' to prove the point they already decided.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
I read this recent article from Time discussing how government subsadies encourage young women to have children outside of wedlock to get on the dole.

My Neighborhood Makes It Easier to Get Pregnant Than To Go To College - TIME

"If I were to get pregnant, I would know just where to go for help: the local offices of Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the federally funded food and nutrition program; Planned Parenthood; and the Family Resource Center. All three are places where I stood in line for hours with my siblings as a child growing up in Watts. But finding local resources to pursue higher education is harder. As one of the few community college students living in Watts, I can’t find a place to print out an essay or get college-related advice.

When I ran into a friend who grew up in the same low-income housing development as I did, she said there was an easier way than to struggle through college. “You should get pregnant,†she told me. “Girl, the government will take care of you, trust me.â€"

This article hits home to the difference between the democrat/republican view towards those living in poverty. Republicans want to do things to lift up those impoverished, to give people means to get themselves out of poverty instead of the current broken model pushed by democrats to just keep giving things away, keep people from taking responsibility for themselves.
We have been under the guidance of both Republicans and Democrats and poverty rates have only fluctuated insignificantly.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
I read this recent article from Time discussing how government subsadies encourage young women to have children outside of wedlock to get on the dole.

My Neighborhood Makes It Easier to Get Pregnant Than To Go To College - TIME

"If I were to get pregnant, I would know just where to go for help: the local offices of Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the federally funded food and nutrition program; Planned Parenthood; and the Family Resource Center. All three are places where I stood in line for hours with my siblings as a child growing up in Watts. But finding local resources to pursue higher education is harder. As one of the few community college students living in Watts, I can’t find a place to print out an essay or get college-related advice.

When I ran into a friend who grew up in the same low-income housing development as I did, she said there was an easier way than to struggle through college. “You should get pregnant,” she told me. “Girl, the government will take care of you, trust me.”"
She has some pretty lousy friends, but the choice is hers: go to collage and make a good living, or get pregnant and live off of welfare pennies. Luckily only a small percentage of the population is dumb or lazy enough to settle for pennies.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is no evidence that shows that lowering taxes, whose rates are not confiscatory, increases economic activity. None.
False.
Quote:
"The 1920s, '60s and '80s were three of America's greatest decades of economic growth. Without them, growth since the inauguration of the income tax in 1913 averages less than 3 percent per year. Each of the tax-cut decades saw at least seven years of growth of 4 to 5 percent, along with advances in entrepreneurship, employment, living standards and wealth."
Recalling the days when Democrats cut taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Clinton raised taxes and economic activity skyrocketed
The Clinton years averaged only 3.8 percent growth in GDP.

Furthermore, Christina Romer, chair of Obama's House Council of Economic Advisers, resigned in 2010 because she knew from her own work as a researcher in Economics that if Obama's tax increase policies were enacted they would blunt an already very weak economic recovery.

Romer's study examined all the legislated tax changes in the U.S. since World War II, and found that there is a negative correlation between increases in the level of taxation and the amount of tax revenue received by the government as a result of that change.

She also found that for every 1% increase in the tax rate, GDP declined by anywhere from 2.5-3%, and that "... stems in considerable part from a powerful negative effect of tax increases on investment."
http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~dromer/pa...ERJune2010.pdf

Turns out she was right. We've had an extremely weak recovery.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm still poor because I lack skills. What's the Republican plan for that?
You're still poor because you squandered your education, and made no effort to improve your skills.

Everyone lacks skills. Everyone. There is not one person on this planet that is born knowing how to read, do math, cook, build a house, etc. Everyone has to learn SOME skill to survive. But some people learn to improve theirs. The Republican plan SHOULD be to reward success, and punish laziness, inertia, and excuses.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
She has some pretty lousy friends, but the choice is hers: go to collage and make a good living, or get pregnant and live off of welfare pennies. Luckily only a small percentage of the population is dumb or lazy enough to settle for pennies.
It's a larger % than a small percent living off welfare pennies. They may be dumb and lazy but they are not settling, they are screaming for more. What about the poor? What about the less fortunate is their call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies