Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,361,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I read this recent article from Time discussing how government subsadies encourage young women to have children outside of wedlock to get on the dole.

My Neighborhood Makes It Easier to Get Pregnant Than To Go To College - TIME

"If I were to get pregnant, I would know just where to go for help: the local offices of Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the federally funded food and nutrition program; Planned Parenthood; and the Family Resource Center. All three are places where I stood in line for hours with my siblings as a child growing up in Watts. But finding local resources to pursue higher education is harder. As one of the few community college students living in Watts, I can’t find a place to print out an essay or get college-related advice.

When I ran into a friend who grew up in the same low-income housing development as I did, she said there was an easier way than to struggle through college. “You should get pregnant,” she told me. “Girl, the government will take care of you, trust me.”"

This article hits home to the difference between the democrat/republican view towards those living in poverty. Republicans want to do things to lift up those impoverished, to give people means to get themselves out of poverty instead of the current broken model pushed by democrats to just keep giving things away, keep people from taking responsibility for themselves.

??? Exactly what things do Republicans want to do to give me means to get myself out of poverty???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Exactly what things do Republicans want to do to give me means to get myself out of poverty???
What do you want to do to help "yourself" out of poverty? Nothing and you think complaining will work?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What do you want to do to help "yourself" out of poverty? Nothing and you think complaining will work?

I want to go back to school for a short spell in order to learn a skill. How is that nothing?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 PM

Where did Wisconsin's newcomers come from? They probably didn't travel far to get there. If I were a low income person in Illinois (esp Chicago) moving to Wisconsin would be a no-brainer.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives.

The share of food stamp beneficiaries swells even further when respondents are asked if someone else living in their household had ever received food stamps. According to the survey, about three in ten Democrats (31%) and about half as many Republicans (17%) say they or someone in their household has benefitted from the food stamp program.

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Define household.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I want to go back to school for a short spell in order to learn a skill. How is that nothing?

So why are you still poor? Short spell? Oh that's why. How would you like to go to school busting butt for years, rack up the school loan debt and then comes Obama who wants to take more money from you? And a bunch of loco Obama supporters wanting to take money from you?

Either way, if you went to school (for a short time), you tried. But it takes more than that. And when you do put forth more time and effort, graduate, and make more money remember the Chads of the world, they will want part of your paycheck.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
So why are you still poor? Short spell? Oh that's why. How would you like to go to school busting butt for years, rack up the school loan debt and then comes Obama who wants to take more money from you? And a bunch of loco Obama supporters wanting to take money from you?

Either way, if you went to school (for a short time), you tried. But it takes more than that. And when you do put forth more time and effort, graduate, and make more money remember the Chads of the world, they will want part of your paycheck.

I'm still poor because I lack skills. What's the Republican plan for that?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Well I worked and went to school at the same time. Why are you waiting for anyone, republicans or democrats... And 6 years in obviously Obama didn't do much for you.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Well I worked and went to school at the same time. Why are you waiting for anyone, republicans or democrats... And 6 years in obviously Obama didn't do much for you.

Schools beyond K-12 require cash up front; after paying the rent and keeping the lights on and food on the table, I'm out of money.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,788,700 times
Quote:
You should be asking what is your plan for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies