Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times

Advertisements

I read this recent article from Time discussing how government subsadies encourage young women to have children outside of wedlock to get on the dole.

My Neighborhood Makes It Easier to Get Pregnant Than To Go To College - TIME

"If I were to get pregnant, I would know just where to go for help: the local offices of Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the federally funded food and nutrition program; Planned Parenthood; and the Family Resource Center. All three are places where I stood in line for hours with my siblings as a child growing up in Watts. But finding local resources to pursue higher education is harder. As one of the few community college students living in Watts, I can’t find a place to print out an essay or get college-related advice.

When I ran into a friend who grew up in the same low-income housing development as I did, she said there was an easier way than to struggle through college. “You should get pregnant,” she told me. “Girl, the government will take care of you, trust me.”"

This article hits home to the difference between the democrat/republican view towards those living in poverty. Republicans want to do things to lift up those impoverished, to give people means to get themselves out of poverty instead of the current broken model pushed by democrats to just keep giving things away, keep people from taking responsibility for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I read this recent article from Time discussing how government subsadies encourage young women to have children outside of wedlock to get on the dole.

"If I were to get pregnant, I would know just where to go for help: the local offices of Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the federally funded food and nutrition program; Planned Parenthood; and the Family Resource Center. All three are places where I stood in line for hours with my siblings as a child growing up in Watts. But finding local resources to pursue higher education is harder. As one of the few community college students living in Watts, I can’t find a place to print out an essay or get college-related advice.

When I ran into a friend who grew up in the same low-income housing development as I did, she said there was an easier way than to struggle through college. “You should get pregnant,” she told me. “Girl, the government will take care of you, trust me.”"

This article hits home to the difference between the democrat/republican view towards those living in poverty. Republicans want to do things to lift up those impoverished, to give people means to get themselves out of poverty instead of the current broken model pushed by democrats to just keep giving things away, keep people from taking responsibility for themselves.
And then they wonder why they are looked down on. It's hard working Americans who's money was confiscated by the government to pay for them.

They get to spend time with their children while you are away from your children, miss birthdays and holidays, you have to go as your little girl cry's please mommy and daddy, stay home. No you have to go to work to support yourselves while they have little one's being trained to hate the world, to think they are owed, to grow up and get on the dole.

Then they have the nerve to complain that it's everyone else who is the problem.

Someone's got to be held accountable, someone's got to pay.

Entitlement Mentality Gone Wild

Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

That is seriously some bad advice that her friend gave her. But just wait, someone will come in here trying to justify this behavior, with a "conservatives are bad and hate the poor" rant!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:

This is a lie. People don't have children to get government benefits. This lie has been debunked many, many, many times.

Here is how you know it is a lie. Do the states with the stingiest benefits have the fewest oow births to poor women? No.

Do the states with the best benefits get a surge of poor people moving into the state to claim those benefits? No.

In fact, many of the most stingiest states when it comes to benefits STILL have the highest teen pregnancy and oow birthrates.

This lie of course is based on pure hatred of single moms, and the people who advance this lie are detestable human beings.

We can't have the honest debate which is some Americans are jerks who don't want their tax dollars going to those people.

So instead we have pretend discussions in which hateful people lie and say well those people are only having more babies and we are encouraging this behavior, but of course there is zero proof that this lie is true and the people who spread the lie or believe it can't answer basic questions that would at least get them in the ball park of having a point.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is a lie. People don't have children to get government benefits. This lie has been debunked many, many, many times.

Here is how you know it is a lie. Do the states with the stingiest benefits have the fewest oow births to poor women? No.

Do the states with the best benefits get a surge of poor people moving into the state to claim those benefits? No.

In fact, many of the most stingiest states when it comes to benefits STILL have the highest teen pregnancy and oow birthrates.

This lie of course is based on pure hatred of single moms, and the people who advance this lie are detestable human beings.

We can't have the honest debate which is some Americans are jerks who don't want their tax dollars going to those people.

So instead we have pretend discussions in which hateful people lie and say well those people are only having more babies and we are encouraging this behavior, but of course there is zero proof that this lie is true and the people who spread the lie or believe it can't answer basic questions that would at least get them in the ball park of having a point.
Really? it is the moms who bring children into property that are detestable. It is the dead beat dads who bail who are detestable.

Why would you say you are a decent human being when you think nothing of bringing children into a world of poverty. That's right, you don't give a damn when you are .... With so many men who bail what makes you think he is different?

It's either welfare, stupidity, or desperation or all. Take your pick.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Really? it is the moms who bring children into property that are detestable. It is the dead beat dads who bail who are detestable.

Why would you say you are a decent human being when you think nothing of bringing children into a world of poverty. That's right, you don't give a damn when you are .... With so many men who bail what makes you think he is different?

What did I tell you?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

So I see you didn't read the article.

Why does California have 1/3 of the nations welfare receipients when it only has 1/8 of the nation population? Here is a hint, it isn't because it has the lowest rate of welfare payouts.
http://m.nationalreview.com/articles...queen-nash-keu

When Work Is Punished: The Tragedy Of America's Welfare State | Zero Hedge

Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:

So basically, the choices are:

1. Cut assistance to anybody
or
2. Expand eligibility for assistance so you don't have to be destitute to receive it.

I agree welfare programs tend to just keep people poor, but I don't think it is by nature, I think it is by design. The writer doesn't seem to realize it is extremely difficult to obtain a section 8 voucher. The waiting time is 10-15 years in some cities. After you've waited that long, why would you be in any rush to improve your circumstances? If you succeed, great, your life will be better. If you fail, you're now off the program AND you have to wait another 10 years to get back on. So you are almost better not improving your circumstances.

I mean, I agree with the writer that there is no incentive to get off of public assistance once you are on it, but I also don't think being on public assistance is a great lifestyle. It's just that we make it so people need to be way too poor to get any kind of assistance.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Go back to the late 60s. That's when government, by design, kept people in poverty, specifically black people. If the government put what qualifies as the poverty level at a true value, you would learn that there are many more living at a poverty level. But why put a real number on it when it makes it look like we have a bigger middle class than we actually have?

Poverty level today for a family of 4 is $23,050. Add a dollar to that and they move up the ladder. How does a family of 4, after taxes, who doesn't qualify for government assistance, manage to provide for themselves with what is left?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

It's either welfare, stupidity, or desperation or all. Take your pick.
Huh, for 99.9% of human history nearly 100% of human beings have been poor.

If poverty was the great barrier to having children, then there would be no human beings, since again for nearly all of human history, nearly all human beings were poor. Even now the vast, vast, vast vast majority of human beings are poor.

In fact, one of the benefits of being in a society is that some of those problems of being poor and having a baby are alleviated by that society because of course every society needs people to have babies and every society has a vital interest in the conditions that those babies grow up in, so there is mutual self interest.

Every society has a lot of poor people. Every society wants and needs lots of births. It is simpatico.

The problem is hateful people who think they deserve government help but other citizens don't. So they lie and insult, and get angry at and attack other citizens.

Heck without these hateful and angry people, we'd do even more as a society to help all mother's with children. We'd see it is in this nation's best interest to do so, but alas we have hateful people who can't stand the idea of those people getting help from the government. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies