Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They could outlaw abortion if they want their birth rate to increase.
Yes, they could, but aren't Japan's current abortion laws already one of the more restrictive ones in the developed/industrialized world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
So where are all the people who said that japan closing it's doors to immigrants was a success?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, they could, but aren't Japan's current abortion laws already one of the more restrictive ones in the developed/industrialized world?
Not sure. Abortion has been legal in Japan since shortly after WW2.

Japanese politicians are bringing up the abortion issue: Japanese politician wants to boost the national birthrate by banning abortion

Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Not sure. Abortion has been legal in Japan since shortly after WW2.

Japanese politicians are bringing up the abortion issue: Japanese politician wants to boost the national birthrate by banning abortion
I doubt it will go anywhere, but Ceausescu tried that in Romania to disastrous effects. It failed to increase the population, but created a generation of kids raised in horrific orphanages.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
1. Not sure. Abortion has been legal in Japan since shortly after WW2.

2. Japanese politicians are bringing up the abortion issue: Japanese politician wants to boost the national birthrate by banning abortion
1. Well, based on this map, it appears that Japan's abortion laws are actually rather restrictive (as I previously wrote here) and that abortion appears to only be allowed in Japan certain specific cases:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abortion_Laws.svg

2. Thanks for this link.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I doubt it will go anywhere, but Ceausescu tried that in Romania to disastrous effects. It failed to increase the population, but created a generation of kids raised in horrific orphanages.
That might at least partially be due to the fact that AFAIK, Ceausescu also banned contraception in addition to abortion.

Thus, I don't think that comparing Romania and Japan is such a good idea here.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:50 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thank You.

As I said I have been thinking about this for a very long time. I can only hope that the world economy and population does reach a point where everyone that wants a job has one and the rest are living off their inherited and personal investments. In my opinion the end of Wage and Debt slavery should be the goal of every economy.

Our current economic domination by, on a world wide basis, is completely unsustainable because their interference with the economic basic of competition in a free and open market is not viable in the longer term. Eventually the market will weed out the colluders and speculators and reset at a sane level. It will cost the current crooks their fortunes and well as being a disaster for the rest of us. Fortunately the little guys will be able to stay alive while the crooks will be devastated.
Why do you guys keep saying a declining population will mean everyone will have a job? If only it were true, but automation of the workforce will happen in the meantime and there still won't be enough jobs left for humans.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:55 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
They could outlaw abortion if they want their birth rate to increase.
It sounds like that won't solve the problem as people just aren't getting pregnant in the first place.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
That might at least partially be due to the fact that AFAIK, Ceausescu also banned contraception in addition to abortion.

Thus, I don't think that comparing Romania and Japan is such a good idea here.
Much closer to Japan, Mao banned abortion and contraception in China. Birthrates soared, and the famine that accompanied the Great Leap Forward killed even more people than it would have otherwise. The one child policy of Deng was a reaction against this.

Fortunately for Japan, it is not ruled by a Ceausescu or a Mao.

I'm pro-choice myself but it is true banning abortion would produce more population growth. Of course it would also have other effects, like increasing crime.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
So where are all the people who said that japan closing it's doors to immigrants was a success?
Well they will point to the European experience with immigration to point out that Japan is doing the right thing. I personally don't think any of the Eurasian nation states are equipped to properly handle mass immigration. Until Japan can build the institutions and structures necessary to handle mass immigration, they really shouldn't be opening up.

Unlike the Eurasian nation-states, the United States and Canada can handle mass immigration better than most countries because it is surrounded by two oceans which means that only the best immigrants can come from abroad. For impoverished immigrants, Hispanic immigrants are also more or less Westerners (unless you think only those of White European racial descent can be Westerners) which means cultural integration is not really a problem for them although class based integration is difficult although it is difficult for all regardless of origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies