Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Yes they are. Remove yourself from the influence of government and your rights disappear.
I dont need governments permission to plant corn in my back yard, and yet there is no influence from the government for me to do so.. The need to eat dictates that food be produced..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Dodging and deflection is what progressives do best.
Geez, you really don't know when to quit. The "I know you are but what am I?" defense won't cut it, n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun
Yes they are. Remove yourself from the influence of government and your rights disappear.
I dont need governments permission to plant corn in my back yard, and yet there is no influence from the government for me to do so.. The need to eat dictates that food be produced..
Deliberately distorting Seabass Inna Bun's general statement into an absolute doesn't actually refute the intent of what he wrote. Yes, it's true - it isn't all your rights that disappear - and those that do disappear aren't violated immediately and continually without relief. But, it is still true that if you remove yourself from the influence of government, your rights disappear.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Deliberately distorting Seabass Inna Bun's general statement into an absolute doesn't actually refute the intent of what he wrote. Yes, it's true - it isn't all your rights that disappear - and those that do disappear aren't violated immediately and continually without relief. But, it is still true that if you remove yourself from the influence of government, your rights disappear.
The government by nature TAKES away your rights, it doesnt impose them. Even the US Constitution is based upon a list of what the government CAN NOT DO..

Can NOT infringe the right to bear arms
Can NOT infringe freedom fo speach.

Where the hell did you guys go to school where you learned that government grants right?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No. Without a means of addressing grievances or ensuring they're observed, talking of rights means absolutely nothing. And natural rights do not exist. They're as much a creation of society as traffic laws. I already explained how you're wrong once, it's strange that you continue to say things you know are false.

No, it's called a living document because it provides its own process for changing it.

Right. It's still nonsense. It's right-wingers jumping up and down saying "I want my way", nothing more.

You and I are the sole survivors of a world wide disaster, nuclear war or whatever.

In this scenario of a complete absence of government and society, do you possess any right to exist or do I have the right to take your food and kill you?

If you think you have a right to exist and to keep what is yours,then you agree with the concept of natural rights.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
If you think you have a right to exist and to keep what is yours,then you agree with the concept of natural rights.
Exactly. The founding fathers thought that there were such fundamental rights basic to humans existance that they didnt even need to discuss them.

For example, the right to work.

not granted to people by government.

why liberal kooks think you cant do **** without governments permission I'll never understand.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 PM
bUU

Quote:
The government by nature TAKES away your rights
The government by nature PROTECTS your rights.

Quote:
Where the hell did you guys go to school where you learned that government grants right?
Evidently someplace where they taught morals and logical thinking, as opposed to where so many right-wingers went to school.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Geez, you really don't know when to quit. The "I know you are but what am I?" defense won't cut it, n.

I first asked you where in the Constitution does it state where the government dictates my responsibility, and you deflected and insulted. I then kindly pointed out that a company is not a charity, and is under no obligation to provide someone a job, and exists solely to make a profit. And again, you chose to insult, and spin words. So I'll make it really simple for you. If you don't like the responses, there is that feature called "ignore" or you could simply not respond.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The government by nature PROTECTS your rights.
Yes, but they dont disappear simply without government. They might be abused, but that doesnt mean they dont exist
Quote:
Evidently someplace where they taught morals and logical thinking, as opposed to where so many right-wingers went to school.
I must have missed that class where it was moral to take from others. Should I tell the judge that when my son goes to court next week for shoplifting?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
If you don't like the responses, there is that feature called "ignore" or you could simply not respond.
Back at ya.

Quote:
Yes, but they dont disappear simply without government.
They do. Not all of them. Not all at once. And they are not continually violated. But without government protecting people's rights, other people, cruel and callous people, will have a field day violating the rights of the most vulnerable in our society. Even if you cannot bring yourself to admit it.

Quote:
They might be abused, but that doesnt mean they dont exist
I'm going to ignore your attempt to claim that the last six messages were a bit of semantic triviality.

Quote:
I must have missed that class where it was moral to take from others.
No one has said anything about taking from others. We've been talking about civic responsibility we all have to society. Even if you cannot bring yourself to admit that either. Trying to draw a comparison between your shoplifting son and society doing what it is supposed to do to best satisfy its obligations to its members is the ultimate in self-deception.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
It's not your back yard, it's mine. My corn, too. Without your government to address grievances ("hey kid, get off my lawn!"), what are you gonna do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies