Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was only pointing out your logical fallacy.
I offered no tu quoque. So you can't possibly have been correcting one.

You really need to understand logical fallacies better before you continue to embarrass yourself pointing them out when they are not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
I was just curious why did you insist on bringing Kerry into the discussion. That is all.
Asked and answered.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Okay, at least I know how to be polite.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I offered no tu quoque. So you can't possibly have been correcting one.

You really need to understand logical fallacies better before you continue to embarrass yourself pointing them out when they are not there.

Asked and answered.

That is all.
Just because you call somebody "embarrassing herself" Doesn't mean it is the truth. Name calling is a cognitive bias and a technique to promote propaganda. But then again, unlike you, I didn't graduate from west point, so what do I know?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
I was only pointing out your logical fallacy. NOT op's I have never said op's argument is 100% perfect. I only agreed with the bolded in the OP (see above post), and rest of his argument, no comment.

I was just curious why did you insist on bringing Kerry into the discussion. That is all.
To expose the fake outrage.

I'm personally not overly impressed with military service and don't feel that veterans are automatically heroes.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Reading the responses in this thread is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Nine pages long, at least six pages is about Kerry as if Kerry really has anything to do with the OP.

Yes, we got it. There are Right Wing Super Turds out there. This is not news. We also got it, simply serving in the Armed force is NOT enough to run for office. Military service does not render you immune to criticism of having an inflated ego. We got all that. Thanks to the CD community and the public and media for putting Veterans emotions and ego in check!

But like it or not, admit it or not, military service is still credential. One certainly can mention, talk about, and be proud about it. As a voter, I am always interested in finding out candidates, so I can make a smart voting decision.

In my most humble opinion, Political Candidates can be judged in the following ways: the positions they take on issues and the leadership qualities and experience they would bring to office. Both are important.

Military service is certainly not enough, but military service might show a candidate's qualities of good leadership skills. Let the voters decide.

Since when mention somebody's military service = entitlement
issue

Mark Pryor has certainly shown desperation. The only person he is embarrassing is himself. Not a very smart move.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And for historiandude, Why are you so obsessed with John Kerry? This thread has nothing to do with John Kerry. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
To expose the fake outrage.

I'm personally not overly impressed with military service and don't feel that veterans are automatically heroes.
well, I have expressed my opinion on this issue many pages ago?

Did anybody say veterans = automatically heroes?

Personally, I am not very impressed by west point graduates either, but somebody on this thread mentioned he graduated from that school. He certainly can mention it, because it is credential.

Fake outrage much?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
There is no doubt that Kerry was injured on three different occasions.

Assuming that you meant "admirably," I have to simply point out that I have seen nothing I would trust as true that would cause me to challenge Bush's service. Even though I was active duty RA, I have found most reserve officers and soldiers to be just as dedicated and committed as those on active duty.

I never questioned any other Reservist about their dedication, just Bush's. there have been many reports that tried to cover up his lack of attendence. Thanks for the correction, my typing skills are at most questionable.

As a West Point graduate, I really don't have to ask anybody. Time until promotion to 03 varies by branch and takes different amounts of time at different times.
This was explained to me from a previous poster. Since I went into the AF in the early 80's and did a stint in the Army in the 90's I looked at his service as being rather questionable considering the political power that his family has. During Wartime promotions come very quicky especially if you are doing your job and attending drills. I'm sorry I just find it it too hard to swallow anyone being a 1Lt for six years and not being able to locate his DD214 with the separation code on it. To this day, every veteran that I know who has served has at least a copy of their original or at least knows how to get another one.

If this had been Joe Schmoo, I would not have given it a second thought, but this is the same man that botched the Iraqi War and cause thousands to lose their lives. Perhaps if he had went to all of his training that officers are familiar with it would have been handled better. Maybe this drunken cokehead would have known better than to taunt the enemy into fighting harder. You do remember his disgusting victory speech on the aircraft carrier, or the "you are either with us or against us" crap?

Btw, when did you graduate from West Point? My partner graduated from the AF Academy as a butterbar and after he finished his obligation to the military he left as a Capt.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Btw, when did you graduate from West Point? My partner graduated from the AF Academy as a butterbar and after he finished his obligation to the military he left as a Capt.
Class of 1978. I too left active duty as an O3.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Just because you call somebody "embarrassing herself" Doesn't mean it is the truth.
My posts stand for themselves. As do yours.

Quote:
Name calling is a cognitive bias and a technique to promote propaganda.
So is attempting to portray accurate labeling as mere "name calling."

Quote:
But then again, unlike you, I didn't graduate from west point, so what do I know?
How could I possible pretend to know what you know? I've never met you.

I can however clearly discern what you don't know. For example. you have demonstrated that you cannot identify the logical fallacy known as tu quoque. I suspect that even West Point would not have ameliorated that circumstance.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
My posts stand for themselves. As do yours.

So is attempting to portray accurate labeling as mere "name calling."

How could I possible pretend to know what you know? I've never met you.

I can however clearly discern what you don't know. For example. you have demonstrated that you cannot identify the logical fallacy known as tu quoque. I suspect that even West Point would not have ameliorated that circumstance.
Historiandude, you are right I am wrong. Happy now?

I know you are going to come back say the last words and you did!! Now you can come back and attack me again. I am done with this discussion.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM

8,887 posts, read 5,368,429 times
“I think it’s part of this sense of entitlement that he gives off is that almost as like ‘I served my country, therefore elect me to the Senate.’ That’s not how it works in Arkansas.”

We are painfully aware of that, Sir. Bill Clinton hails from Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies