Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 AM

88,974 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
And What I am saying, is "why don't we"? Honestly From the Govt's perspective, spending so much money on people seems inefficient (when there are plenty of other things to spend money on), so I dont think the point of welfare is to "keep people in poverty".
That is indeed the point of welfare. Recipients are the Dems' highest percentage voting block.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 AM

279 posts, read 183,195 times
As big as in Germany or Sweden, paying people decent unemployment benefits so they have the time and money to improve their skillset and find jobs paying livable wages? Hëll, yeah!

Why don't you con-brats stop pretending you cared about anybody but yourself?

Why don't you stop pretending that we are the only industrialized, rich nation facing serious socio-economic issues nobody ever dealt with before?

Why is the Republican Party full of old geezers, living off their pension plans while giving advice to those who have to face totally new issues resulting from globalization? You haven't so keep your advice toy yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Hey I didn't set up the system to keep you in poverty... government, politicians did. Wow you are barking at the wrong people. And you want bigger government?

Last edited by Rasputin2014; 03-24-2014 at 02:10 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,826 times
Quote:
"Poverty" once had some concrete meaning -- not enough food to eat or not enough clothing or shelter to protect you from the elements, for example. Today it means whatever the government bureaucrats, who set up the statistical criteria, choose to make it mean. Most Americans with incomes below the official poverty level are far from being hungry but an arbitrary definition of words and numbers gives them access to the taxpayers' money.

Even when they have the potential to become productive members of society, the loss of welfare state benefits if they try to do so is an implicit "tax" on what they would earn that often exceeds the explicit tax on a millionaire.

If increasing your income by $10,000 would cause you to lose $15,000 in government benefits, would you do it?

The left's welfare state makes poverty more comfortable, while penalizing attempts to rise out of poverty.
Many US citizens would be hungry if they did not receive welfare and food stamps, the left's welfare state (does) makes poverty more comfortable.

But its a conservatives job to fix our welfare system (to trim a liberals waste.)

And non-politician conservatives seem to see many problems with our welfare system, but today's republican politicians never do anything to fix our welfare system.

Last edited by chad3; 03-24-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'll post this here too since it's more on topic:

This is true. A lot of people avoid finding jobs because they learn on interviews that the pay is less than what they receive in unemployment benefits. Also, people receiving welfare are afraid to work because they are afraid of losing their government subsidized life line. Why face all the unknowns with full-time employment when government checks seem to be a sure thing.

The government is taking away the incentive to work. Obamacare perpetuates this as you no longer need to work in order to have health insurance, which used to be some people's sole purpose for employment. Can't believe Biden touted this as something to be proud of.
Obamacare is just like Romneycare.

Mitt Romney says "The primary goal of RomneyCare was to provide all citizens in MA with access to affordable health insurance and to eliminate the “free riders” who expected the government or taxpayers to pay for their health care."

RomneyCare - The Truth about Massachusetts Health Care | Mitt Romney Central

And the only thing Biden said was "people can change jobs and not loose their insurance." Many people keep undesirable jobs because that job gives them health insurance. But because of Obamacare those people will be able to get better jobs and not loose their insurance.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin2014 View Post
As big as in Germany or Sweden, paying people decent unemployment benefits so they have the time and money to improve their skillset and find jobs paying livable wages? Hëll, yeah!

Why don't you con-brats stop pretending you cared about anybody but yourself?

Why don't you stop pretending that we are the only industrialized, rich nation facing serious socio-economic issues nobody ever dealt with before?

Why is the Republican Party full of old geezers, living off their pension plans while giving advice to those who have to face totally new issues resulting from globalization? You haven't so keep your advice toy yourselves.
Con brats.. lol coming from someone who can't support himself without OPM, other peoples money. Let me steal your money. Would you love me then?

Liberals are losers thats why you demand our money, how about manning up and supporting yourself. Poor baby, someone else has more than you... deep breath sniffle sniffle

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
The government subsidizes idleness, making idleness more acceptable then idleness increases. The mainstream media hails widespread helplessness and promotes expanding big government and higher taxes to treat the problem.

As small businesses are taxed higher there are less opportunities to expand businesses. The marginal workers find it harder and harder to find jobs, so they resort to idleness and a welfare check.

Since getting money to do nothing is preferable than having to sweat for it, more and more people will fall into the welfare trap, guaranteeing democratic politicians ad infinitum. Income inequality has been on the rise since the early 70s. And what has increased right along with it?

The welfare state.
Reagan had a congress willing to do anything he wanted. Did Reagan fix our welfare system? No.

GW Bush had control of congress. Did GW Bush fix our welfare system? No.

Our welfare system gets worse year by year, and republicans do nothing to fix it.

Last edited by chad3; 03-24-2014 at 03:10 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Many US citizens would be hungry if they did not receive welfare and food stamps, the left's welfare state (does) makes poverty more comfortable.

But its a conservatives job to fix our welfare system (to trim a liberals waste.)

And non-politician conservatives seem to see many problems with our welfare system, but today's republican politicians never do anything to fix our welfare system.
#1. No they would not go hungry

#2. And what is a liberals job oh I know... to add to the welfare roles.

#3 Conservatives job?

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There seems to be a misconception that people who despise the current welfare state were born with silver spoons in their mouths and trust funds in the bank. Some of us worked our butts off to rise above poverty, and we are the ones that really see how far down the welfare state has taken our formerly productive society.
I'd like to shake your hand.

Every bleeding heart that tries to tell me I hate poor people is most welcome to travel back and relive my childhood. It featured nothing but grits for days on end when we lived in the South, and duct taped snow boots and frostbitten toes when we live in the North. Utilities shut off, a woman thumbing a ride 40 miles from town with 2 kids when her 30 year old car broke down again.

I am where I am because I used my brains and my back. But that is dismissed outright as just impossible by leftists.

Towards the OP: I agree that hard and fast income cutoffs resulting in loss of large portions of benefits is a mistake. I'd further state that our entire benefits approach should be towards creating adults who have marketable skills, rather than feeding ones who don't for decades.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 AM

88,974 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There seems to be a misconception that people who despise the current welfare state were born with silver spoons in their mouths and trust funds in the bank. Some of us worked our butts off to rise above poverty, and we are the ones that really see how far down the welfare state has taken our formerly productive society.
Exactly. Excellent point!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'll post this here too since it's more on topic:

This is true. A lot of people avoid finding jobs because they learn on interviews that the pay is less than what they receive in unemployment benefits. Also, people receiving welfare are afraid to work because they are afraid of losing their government subsidized life line. Why face all the unknowns with full-time employment when government checks seem to be a sure thing.

The government is taking away the incentive to work. Obamacare perpetuates this as you no longer need to work in order to have health insurance, which used to be some people's sole purpose for employment. Can't believe Biden touted this as something to be proud of.
Quote:
Who the hell are you to determine how much someone truly needs? Damn greedy liberals. Can't handle their own financial house but think they know how to handle other peoples finances.
Quote:
Then why don't they change it. Instead they promise you the moon and yet the poor stay in hell. Politicians, especially democrats will keep spewing their lies and won't change a thing, as you try to crawl out they will just tax you back so you just stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
And President Obama the greatest President this world, no wait, the Universe, has ever seen will deliver us from these chains of oppression and strife... He will rein supreme forever and ever, we will praise him and adore him from our section 8 housing. He will provide for our needs, tend our sorrows and deliver us from labor. He is the Democratic Party and they are he who will keep us in poverty forever and ever Amen..

Sorry, could't resist.. back to the topic.

We have a lot of angry people building strawmen in ths thread.

Less than 4% of the population is on welfare. If you include food stamps, welfare spending jumps to 50 million people and just over $500 billion per year (non-snap welfare is $131 billion).

So why is food stamp usage so high?

Corporations are the biggest receivers of welfare. We pity them at the expense of pay our citizens a livable wage. We have millions of folks on food stamps because they aren't earning enough to live. Corporate welfare is a far bigger problem in this country than public welfare. Create a strawman thread about that.

Also, welfare spending is on the rapid decline since 2010. Welfare spending mirrors the unemployment rate (for obvious reasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies