Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You do it by massively requiring personal guarantees, requiring skin in the game. That would bend many who start businesses and who fail, at the knees, before they start. They would quit knowing they were no longer playing with someone elses money, but now betting their families financial lives, permanently, on the decision.

In short, we need folks to think, again, again, and again before starting what are primarily a massive chain of unending failures.

It will NOT discourage the Bill Gates, the folks who were destined to be in the 10%.
So basically strangle off any hope of most of being business owners because most of us don't have that kind of capital of our own. Sounds like a plan to keep power with the haves and let the have nots just eat cake and like it. For the record, this worked in France during the 1780's...

Note: I do want protection for angel investors but they do know the risks going in. Many people who need to go with angels do not have the money to start-up their own business venture. This is why I am saying that it would strangle off hope for most of us to start businesses. If the angels don't like the risk involved in investing into a start up as an angel, they can balk.

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-25-2014 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Expanded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM

471 posts, read 600,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So basically strangle off any hope of most of being business owners because most of us don't have that kind of capital of our own. Sounds like a plan to keep power with the haves and let the have nots just eat cake and like it. For the record, this worked in France during the 1780's...

Note: I do want protection for angel investors but they do know the risks going in. Many people who need to go with angels do not have the money to start-up their own business venture. This is why I am saying that it would strangle off hope for most of us to start businesses. If the angels don't like the risk involved in investing into a start up as an angel, they can balk.
mk, you are having a rational discussion with the OP, I don't believe it's possible to have meaningful discussion with the OP, because as I said, the OP is arguing against the most common of knowledge. So either the OP has uncommon knowledge, is absurd and irrational, or is just playing with us all for their own gratification. You decide

You are unlikely to change the OP's mind, since you are arguing that the sky is blue with someone who claims the sky is plaid.

You are correct, everything the OP is saying is would stagnate the economy, destroy the ability for people to move up and permanently stratify society of have and have nots.

The big banks, too big to fail megacorps and crony capitalism which gives unlimited free money to big players has squandered more wealth in 5 years than all the failed start ups, mom and pops, have since the Declaration of Independence was signed!

Reducing barriers to entry, entrepreneurship, the ability to embrace ideas and take risk, even with cost and loss, benefits SOCIETY and advances in the economy.

The OP doesn't get the luxury of posting that the moon is indeed made with swiss cheese and demand that we prove it is not. The moon is made of rock, just like no credible economic science backs up any of the rambling absurdities in the OP, who I firmly believe knows that they are posting absurdities to get a rise out of all of us for their own personal gratification.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
mk, you are having a rational discussion with the OP, I don't believe it's possible to have meaningful discussion with the OP, because as I said, the OP is arguing against the most common of knowledge. So either the OP has uncommon knowledge, is absurd and irrational, or is just playing with us all for their own gratification. You decide

You are unlikely to change the OP's mind, since you are arguing that the sky is blue with someone who claims the sky is plaid.

You are correct, everything the OP is saying is would stagnate the economy, destroy the ability for people to move up and permanently stratify society of have and have nots.

The big banks, too big to fail megacorps and crony capitalism which gives unlimited free money to big players has squandered more wealth in 5 years than all the failed start ups, mom and pops, have since the Declaration of Independence was signed!

Reducing barriers to entry, entrepreneurship, the ability to embrace ideas and take risk, even with cost and loss, benefits SOCIETY and advances in the economy.

The OP doesn't get the luxury of posting that the moon is indeed made with swiss cheese and demand that we prove it is not. The moon is made of rock, just like no credible economic science backs up any of the rambling absurdities in the OP, who I firmly believe knows that they are posting absurdities to get a rise out of all of us for their own personal gratification.
Agreed, it's on purpose in order to pull everyones chain. "They would quit knowing they were no longer playing with someone elses money, but now betting their families financial lives, permanently, on the decision."

lmao
Which is exactly what government is doing with healthcare and everything else it gets its grubby paws on, playing with someone elses money.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed, it's on purpose in order to pull everyones chain. "They would quit knowing they were no longer playing with someone elses money, but now betting their families financial lives, permanently, on the decision."

lmao
Which is exactly what government is doing with healthcare and everything else it gets its grubby paws on, playing with someone elses money.
I don't think he's playing. OP is a big corporations guy.

Just because you don't agree ~ doesn't mean he's trolling.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd avocating for MORE turnover, which will lead to true, well run corps adding jobs, that are offset by mom and pop shop job losses. The pie will not change, the share of the pie will.

Now the few smart mom and pops will see the light, and begrudgingly, offer fair compensation including benefit packages mirroring their real competition. The dumb ones will fail, and their market share, and headcount, will be absorbed by the true corps.

That is exactly how a labor market should work, and ACA is helping facilitate that.
Just when I am convinced that ignorance has bottomed out, and we have no place to go but up ... my jaded optimism takes another blow.

Now, we have people like you that believe that crushing the little guy is good news?

What's next? I'm afraid to ask.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Just when I am convinced that ignorance has bottomed out, and we have no place to go but up ... my jaded optimism takes another blow.

Now, we have people like you that believe that crushing the little guy is good news?

What's next? I'm afraid to ask.
It truly is frightening, isn't it? To know that there are really people out there who think like the op.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It truly is frightening, isn't it? To know that there are really people out there who think like the op.

It is indeed.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is but judging by how people post on here, I'm not exactly surprised in the least. Many people on C-D are hurray me, boo anyone who wants to take what's mine from taxes. And when you support higher taxes you are booing "our corporate masters" as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So basically .
hold small businessmen accountable for their own risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies