Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
About half the convicted murderers in the US are black.
The totals are about an equal distribution of murders amongst the races however the white population is more than six times as large. If you want to put this into perspective, suppose you had six white people and one black person in a room and knew one of them was murderer. Statistically the murder is the black person if you were basing it solely on race.

Quote:
Is it a black problem or a poverty problem?
Certainly poverty is a huge issue but it's not the only one. If you are going to have kids growing up in an environment without responsible parents, where life is unimportant etc. I'm not sure what else you can expect.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lots of Canadians have guns. I have two myself.
At least the alpaca farmer slapped the guy on the head for stressing his animals. He would have been shot in the US.

Gee.............. I have a farm in the US. I have had guys on snow mobiles cut across my land. Do I care? No- it would be different if they were tearing up the land with four wheelers or poaching game.

If I confronted everyone who came on my land uninvited, I would have met half of the county.

PS- Unless you intend to use a gun, don't pull a gun.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Well, the high homicide rate of the Inuit and First Nations are spiking our numbers considerably, but you don't see us whining about omitting them. They're Canadians.
The Intuit commit half the murders in Canada?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Gee.............. I have a farm in the US. I have had guys on snow mobiles cut across my land. Do I care? No- it would be different if they were tearing up the land with four wheelers or poaching game.

If I confronted everyone who came on my land uninvited, I would have met half of the county.

PS- Unless you intend to use a gun, don't pull a gun.
The snowmobilers were stressing his animals and some snowmobilers had chased down and run over his cat.
I think he showed remarkable self-restraint.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The Intuit commit half the murders in Canada?
Police-reported data show that the overall crime rate is six times higher in Inuit Nunangat than in the rest of Canada (Table 1). In those communities, there was around 1 police-reported incident for every 2.5 residents; in the rest of the country, the proportion was 1 incident for every 17 residents.
Police-reported Crime in Inuit Nunangat: Main article
Suicide rates are 11 times higher.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, where did you get that number from? Doing a quick check on Wikipedia the murder rate in Canada is 1.6, the US is 4.8.

4.8 / 1.6 = 3 ... or 3 times higher.

If we remove the murders amongst the black population from equation the US rate is roughly halved bringing it inline with most other industrialized nations.
As I explained previously those figures were totals and since the us population is ten times Canada's they mean little...I got them from nation master.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Police-reported data show that the overall crime rate is six times higher in Inuit Nunangat than in the rest of Canada (Table 1). In those communities, there was around 1 police-reported incident for every 2.5 residents; in the rest of the country, the proportion was 1 incident for every 17 residents.
Police-reported Crime in Inuit Nunangat: Main article
Suicide rates are 11 times higher.
That doesn't answer the question you are replying too. A higher murder rate amongst their population doesn't necessarily mean it's having a significant impact on your overall murder rate. You need two things to make a comparison, a small population which you have but they would also have to be committing a significant percentage of the total murders.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As I explained previously those figures were totals and since the us population is ten times Canada's they mean little...I got them from nation master.
If they mean little then why would you post them? 65 times? Give me a break....

Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
They are comparable, actually. You can compare the murder rates and conclude that America is a violent country. The problems of the former caste system of the South, where a human life meant almost nothing, spread to the rest of the country.
The violent crime rate for Blacks is higher in northern cities than it is in the South. And yes, you can conclude that America is a violent country. It's violent because Blacks in America have such a high crime rate.

Black Americans have a violent crime rate that is 28 times that of Asian Americans. In Canada, the largest minority group comes from Asia. So comparing Canada to America without considering the differences in ethnic makeup isn't a fair comparison.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Evidently, you're not that safe in rural areas as opposed to cities.
Study Shows That Cities Are Safer Than Rural Areas, Despite Crime | TIME.com

I'll take the higher risk of blasting through the woods on a quad over getting shot purchasing a soda at the convenience store any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies