Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times

Advertisements

Discerning History » Shackleton’s Ad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`d be surprised if that ad is legit. Wouldn`t Shackleton have taken along scientists, geographers and such?
A few but if I remember correctly the majority on the ill-fated cruise were simply grunts.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Only if Shackleton were running the show. That add sound like a recruitment add for grunts going to "Nam only a lot colder.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Anyone who would respond to this solely to "be a man" needs to have his head examined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Appears to be the makings of a reality show.
Chasing Shackleton was on PBS this year.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
nice link, thanks.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Chasing Shackleton was on PBS this year.
Yes I saw that as well! Very interesting. From the discussion there may be a few options available left in the world that offer some sort of reward other then a monitory one... Along with Darkatt I took Mr. Kennedys advice...

A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy""
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)
[

Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Yes I saw that as well! Very interesting. From the discussion there may be a few options available left in the world that offer some sort of reward other then a monitory one... Along with Darkatt I took Mr. Kennedys advice...

A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy""
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)
[
Enlisting in the Navy is one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Only regret (sort of) about going in the Army is that I didn't go in as an officer despite having a few opportunities to do so.

I'd pay anything for the chance to fire a mortar again. Oh well...

Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
I'll preface this by stating my complete opposition to illegal immigration, but it appears that we can see here and around the globe, the lengths desperate people will go to.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
When men were men?
How about those who took off from St. Joseph, Missouri, with their families, to cross "the Great American Desert" in hopes of finding a future in Oregon or California? No wood, little water, outlaws, hostile natives, dust, disease, heat, cold, and if you didn't bring it you would not have it. If you did bring it, you might end up leaving it beside the trail.
I could NOT do that! I don't know many people today who could.
Just as an experiment, try this: find a farm wagon. Tow it to the edge of a steep sided gully or arroyo. Disassemble the wagon, lower the pieces down the side of the gully, carry them across the gully, raise them up the other side, reassemble the wagon, and go on your way. Do it in less than 24 hours.
Then, when you find a nice looking place, dig a hole in the side of a hill, and build a sod house. Just you and your wife. Hand dig your own well and outhouse pit. Plow your 100 acres with a walk-behind plow and two mules, then plant your wheat, by hand sowing it. Live in your soddy, eating only what you can grow or hunt. Once a month (maybe) you can go to town in your buckboard (if you have one) to trade for flour, sugar, salt, and other staples.
There is no doubt, men and women were a LOT tougher back then than they are now!
What choice did they have, without the modern conveniences of today these people had to be tough as nails. Hats off to them for risking their lives to open up the west for expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies