Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Men! Men! Men!
It's a ship all filled with men.
You'll never have to lift the seat
There's no one here but men.

Men! Men! Men!
It's a ship all filled with men.
So throw your rubbers out the door
There's no one here but men.

Martin Mull
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Perhaps I should retitle the thread to "When people had Courage"
A dog has courage when facing a mountain lion. But if the dumb **** walked into the cave where it the lion was living, the dog deserves what it gets.

There is a real reason why we evolved with a "fight or flight" mentality. Sometimes, its better to run, far far away.

I suspect your article was about gold mining in the Klondike or higher northern latitudes. Lots of men went, and if that was your only shot at making it, good for you. My family just stayed in the south and farmed. I wouldn't call them cowards for staying home. Maybe you would.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I made my decision to join the Navy, because I felt it was the right thing to do. This is a great country, and I felt it was my responsibility to return something back. I chose Submarine Service, because it was the right fit. It wasn't the easiest life, but there are no regrets.

I do regret not being able to complete 20 years, having received a permanent injury.

Some people jump out of perfectly good airplanes, some people end up in the outfit of a marine. Each person is different, each person goes into an area that is the best fit for them. For me, it was the Submarine. Underwater, each person dependent on the other, each to make sure we all survive.

Whether people realize it or not, there are risks inherent in all walks of life. Who would have thought working at the world trade center would be dangerous? On 9-11, that theory was proven inaccurate.. Driving to work, whatever.

Thankfully, we still have people willing to take risks, to go into space, go to sea, on ships and submarines, to fly jet aircraft, to drive tanks, work on the grounds, and to jump out of perfectly good aircraft.
Using 9-11 as an example to prove "how dangerous white collar work is" is a straw-man. 9-11 was such a blip on the radar event wise that it is as possible as getting struck by lightning twice on the same spot. There are many other types of accidents that are more common, particularly cars because of sheer numbers and lessened regulation compared to air travel.

That said, I appreciate what you have done as a member of the armed forces.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Perhaps I should retitle the thread to "When people had Courage"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You have to remember that was a different time and place, when men had to be men to survive.
You've gotta be a man to survive now.

I see no difference.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A dog has courage when facing a mountain lion. But if the dumb **** walked into the cave where it the lion was living, the dog deserves what it gets.

There is a real reason why we evolved with a "fight or flight" mentality. Sometimes, its better to run, far far away.

I suspect your article was about gold mining in the Klondike or higher northern latitudes. Lots of men went, and if that was your only shot at making it, good for you. My family just stayed in the south and farmed. I wouldn't call them cowards for staying home. Maybe you would.

Perhaps you should have read the article or followed one on the links already posted. The question is not one of doing feats for thrill, or maintaining a normal existence but of putting everything you have on the line for the potential betterment of society, science or man kind in general.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've gotta be a man to survive now.

I see no difference.
You did not have the modern conveniences you have now, physical labor was a way of life.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
[/b]

Perhaps you should have read the article or followed one on the links already posted. The question is not one of doing feats for thrill, or maintaining a normal existence but of putting everything you have on the line for the potential betterment of society, science or man kind in general.
Sounds like a liberal BS argument to me. I'm in it for me. Screw mankind

Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
"It's grand to be an Englishman in 1910 , King Edward's on the throne, it's the age of men!"

"George Banks" - Mary Poppins(1964)

Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Came across this recently and it made me think.....Within a few days of posting Shackleton got over 500 responses to this add. In this day and age are there this type of Adventurer still out there? Are normal people still willing to step up in the face of pretty certain death for nothing more then the recognition or out of a sense of duty, honor, country?? Or have we become so self-centered and greedy that no one would answer the add? Are there still this type of adventures even to be had on the planet at all?
What kind of an idiot would be willing to undergo hardship and danger for the sake of a newspaper/internet ad with no stated purpose? There are plenty of people who do dangerous things, but the intelligent ones weigh the risks against the benefits within context of the goal and their skill set.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Being a man is also about using your brain, and that advertisement goes directly against that principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies