Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am against the idea of nickel and diming people through tolls on every state and local road.
As am I.

There are a couple of toll roads in the greater Denver metro. I refuse to take them.
I am convinced they exist solely to pay the salaries of the people who work for the highway authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As am I.

There are a couple of toll roads in the greater Denver metro. I refuse to take them.
I am convinced they exist solely to pay the salaries of the people who work for the highway authority.
But what if you paid no gas taxes and no general fund taxes were used for roads. Your tolls would pay for the roads you use.

The only place that would not work is in sparsely populated rural areas. Those roads would have to be subsidized by urban road users. But the bottom line would be very close to "you pay for what you use" and the cost would be quite visible instead of hidden in a complex funding mechanism.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But what if you paid no gas taxes and no general fund taxes were used for roads. Your tolls would pay for the roads you use.

The only place that would not work is in sparsely populated rural areas. Those roads would have to be subsidized by urban road users. But the bottom line would be very close to "you pay for what you use" and the cost would be quite visible instead of hidden in a complex funding mechanism.
That's a big "if."

These toll roads exist for convenience only. There are many other ways to get to where they go that don't involve tolls, regardless of how minimal, and the associated up-keep of the plate readers, bill mailers, etc.
I've no doubt that the majority of the money collected goes not towards road maintenance but for contracts, salaries, etc.

Those of us who live in Colorado pay some of the highest vehicle registration fees in the country, allegedly because of the wear and tear on roads and the associated upkeep. Despite the millions that they must collect every year, the roads are terrible - pot holes everywhere. Wherever the money is going, it's not going to the roads.
I'd much rather subsidize public transportation. At least I can see where that money is going.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
That's a big "if."

These toll roads exist for convenience only. There are many other ways to get to where they go that don't involve tolls, regardless of how minimal, and the associated up-keep of the plate readers, bill mailers, etc.
I've no doubt that the majority of the money collected goes not towards road maintenance but for contracts, salaries, etc.

Those of us who live in Colorado pay some of the highest vehicle registration fees in the country, allegedly because of the wear and tear on roads and the associated upkeep. Despite the millions that they must collect every year, the roads are terrible - pot holes everywhere. Wherever the money is going, it's not going to the roads.
I'd much rather subsidize public transportation. At least I can see where that money is going.
Same here. I-76, aka the PA Turnpike, is 100% toll road and the highway has bumps and potholes everywhere. So, where are my tolls going when I use it? No more tolls!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:

Roads with higher traffic would have a better chance of being paid for than neighborhood streets. There is a good chance there would be a dirty road outside of your house due to not being enough money to pay for paving it. Also, how would you place tolls on local roads? Do you do it at every block?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Either way would work. Toll road fee collection is totally automated and works quite well. You can drive through a toll collection point at 80 MPH.
It would cost billions to put automatic toll collectors on every block of every street in my city alone. Put them up in the ghetto neighborhoods and people will take them down just as fast. Your idea is not feasible.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
That's a big "if."

Actually, the Northeastern Turnpike Complex from Illinois to Massachusetts (and south to Delaware) existed before the Interstate Highway System. The reason the tolls still exist (but the roads are still interstates) is because the Federal and State governments are relieved from the obligation of original construction and operational upkeep.

Some receive State aid, but their funding is almost exclusively tolls and bond investments. For example, the New York State Thruway costs $420 million / year to operate. If the tolls come down, the gas tax will probably have to jump $.30 / gallon or so to compensate (or the state can just beg Uncle Sam, since drivers don't pay for most maintenance anyway on untolled roads).

Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Actually, the Northeastern Turnpike Complex from Illinois to Massachusetts (and south to Delaware) existed before the Interstate Highway System. The reason the tolls still exist (but the roads are still interstates) is because the Federal and State governments are relieved from the obligation of original construction and operational upkeep.

Some receive State aid, but their funding is almost exclusively tolls and bond investments. For example, the New York State Thruway costs $420 million / year to operate. If the tolls come down, the gas tax will probably have to jump $.30 / gallon or so to compensate (or the state can just beg Uncle Sam, since drivers don't pay for most maintenance anyway on untolled roads).
I know that is true back east, but not so much in the west/southwest. When I left NJ for NM, I must have been halfway across the country before I realized that I hadn't encountered a single toll road.
And we're talking big interstates like I-10 where the posted speed limit during the day can hit 80 mph and the road surface is pristine compared to roads back east.
Somehow those roads are maintained without tolls. Same deal with I-25.

The toll road near me is completely local. It's not an interstate, but an actual expressway, built as a feeder to/from DIA. As I said earlier, it was built for convenience more than anything else. Of course, when it was proposed, the mantra was that the tolls would only remain until construction, etc. was paid off.
Years later, and they are still in place and are going up this year. Why? Because the route is under-utilized. Why? Because of the tolls.

And so it goes.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Same here. I-76, aka the PA Turnpike, is 100% toll road and the highway has bumps and potholes everywhere. So, where are my tolls going when I use it? No more tolls!
Just because politicians abuse the toll collection process does not mean we should not have toll roads. We should make the politicians behave.

Road funding is a convoluted mess where we have money going in and out of road funding so that it's difficult to determine what they cost and where our money goes. Most toll roads were paid for decades ago, but they continue collecting tolls to fund other roads and mass transit. Funding is a mess at best.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It would cost billions to put automatic toll collectors on every block of every street in my city alone. Put them up in the ghetto neighborhoods and people will take them down just as fast. Your idea is not feasible.
Nobody said every block. It does not have to be that granular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies