Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,133,880 times

Advertisements

Banning the submachine gun DID work.

No one has been killed by submachine gun in the USA in at least 40 or 50 years. (I didn't Google this. Maybe someone else will.)

Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,163,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Fair enough. Still, obviously if you take the "limited government" argument to the extreme you have anarchy, Mad Max time... which is not too good either. Government exists for a purpose, or my thinking is the Founding Fathers would not have bothered. I don't see how trying to prevent disturbed individuals from getting assualt rifles puts us on a slippery slope.

Your argument could be flipped around with the right that want no part of anything that might actually improve or stabilize society domestically (remember Rudy Ridge!!), but have not a thing to say when they sign up for bankrolling and invading other countries. No problem with "limited government" there.
I certainly have no problems with keeping any weapons and most importantly, keeping disturbed individual under care or lock and key, whichever is deemed most necessary.

There is a large step between limited government and anarchy, in my own opinion as in the case of the latter, man is simply not capable of pure self control and accountability. Someone once said that the more laws the state had the more corrupt the state was, and I have come to view this as being reasonably accurate because good people don't need laws to tell them how to act responsibly and bad people will always find away around the law.

In this particular case, gun control advocates and the media will go bonkers and spotlight every extreme example and every possibility, meanwhile they will all forget that one man, one single man is ultimately responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands under the most dubious of circumstance and will barely raise a brow.

What is the read tragedy here?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,163,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

No one has been killed by submachine gun in the USA in at least 40 or 50 years. (I didn't Google this. Maybe someone else will.)
Nobody in Monterey, Tennessee was killed by an asteroid, so this is proof that praying works!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,781,549 times
I personally am not worried about the "bad people". I find "bad" people typically go after other "bad" people and leave the "good" people alone. Typically if anyone is killed in suburbia it is a domestic issue or accident.

I am concerned about the increasing numbers of disturbed individuals in our society that go "Postal" to coin the phrase, no offense to Postal Workers intended. I am concerned about myself and my family getting mowed dow in a shopping mall or at school or in my office at work.

How many incidents do you think we are going to see in the future of Iraq/Afghan vets with PTSD mowing people down. Especially since we read they are not getting the proper psychological care upon returning home. More collateral damage from the War.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,729,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
not surprising this kid was a hunter, most people who hunt or kill animals usually graduate to bigger better things
I completely disagree with this statement 100%, if this statement was true then my state, AR, would be uninhabitable by people for fear for their lifes. I dont know of very many at all that have not hunted.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,109,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
not surprising this kid was a hunter, most people who hunt or kill animals usually graduate to bigger better things
I also disagree with this statement. I couldn't be a hunter myself, but the hunters that I know are very responsible gun owners and would never harm another human being unless their lives or the lives of their family was threatened. I'm curious how you arrived at this conclusion that most go on to bigger and better things?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,250,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I also disagree with this statement. I couldn't be a hunter myself, but the hunters that I know are very responsible gun owners and would never harm another human being unless their lives or the lives of their family was threatened. I'm curious how you arrived at this conclusion that most go on to bigger and better things?
Well said.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Automatic weapons aren't banned,if you have the cash you can buy one.

Also what IS an 'assault weapon'?

Please explain it's characteristics and how it differs from other semi automatic rifles?

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,109,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I personally am not worried about the "bad people". I find "bad" people typically go after other "bad" people and leave the "good" people alone. Typically if anyone is killed in suburbia it is a domestic issue or accident.

I am concerned about the increasing numbers of disturbed individuals in our society that go "Postal" to coin the phrase, no offense to Postal Workers intended. I am concerned about myself and my family getting mowed dow in a shopping mall or at school or in my office at work.

How many incidents do you think we are going to see in the future of Iraq/Afghan vets with PTSD mowing people down. Especially since we read they are not getting the proper psychological care upon returning home. More collateral damage from the War.
You make a really good point about PTSD. Which brings us back to a question posted on this thread, what can be done to prevent people with issues from "snapping"?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
You make a really good point about PTSD. Which brings us back to a question posted on this thread, what can be done to prevent people with issues from "snapping"?
Nothing can be done.

This is what some people simply cannot grasp,people murdering others cannot be stopped.

If the person wants to commit harm upon others there is NOTHING that can be done prior to their act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies