Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nothing can be done.

This is what some people simply cannot grasp,people murdering others cannot be stopped.

If the person wants to commit harm upon others there is NOTHING that can be done prior to their act.
I wonder why these mass executions by disturbed individuals happen so much more frequently in the United States then anywhere else, though...

I just can't help but wonder if the semi-automatic weapons easily available makes it a bit easier for these guys.

I suppose with a pistol they could do it...but they would really have to be marksmen or get up real close to their victims.

With bows and arrows it would be even more difficult...although I have seen Westerns where Indians were pretty good at picking off cavalry from up in the cliffs. So I suppose it is possible.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I wonder why these mass executions by disturbed individuals happen so much more frequently in the United States then anywhere else, though...

I just can't help but wonder if the semi-automatic weapons easily available makes it a bit easier for these guys.

I suppose with a pistol they could do it...but they would really have to be marksmen or get up real close to their victims.

With bows and arrows it would be even more difficult...although I have seen Westerns where Indians were pretty good at picking off cavalry from up in the cliffs. So I suppose it is possible.
One just happened recently in Finland.

I would also look beyond the weapon,it is simply a tool and if it was not available there are other methods of killing available.

Switzerland is an interesting example of a heavily armed society yet for some reason such crimes are not happening.

I would still like to know what an 'assault weapon' is and the characteristics
that separate it from other rifles.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Nothing can be done.

This is what some people simply cannot grasp,people murdering others cannot be stopped.

If the person wants to commit harm upon others there is NOTHING that can be done prior to their act.
But there's no murder in countries where guns are banned, right?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
Quote:
Nothing can be done.

I disagree. I think that there is a point of no return and that people can be helped before that happens. The "how" is what I'm not certain about. I have a friend whose husband is special forces military and recently returned from Iraq. He is a stable guy, but her greatest fear is that he will harm himself as he is still dealing with PTSD. He doesn't want to hurt others, he just needs an outlet to deal with what he saw and what he was forced to do. However, I am not advocating banning guns because I agree with you that if the intention to harm is there, then the means will be found.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
After reading a single line of this, can you say sanctimonious?

Forget that this child was disturbed and had severe personal mental health issues, forget that he stole the gun, forget that the system and his family failed him and lets all focus on a legally owned gun.

If he ended up in a high speed chase and ran over a school yard full of children would all of you be calling for the banning of cars or a new law that would make cars only do 35 mph? After all if it saves the life of one innocent child, isn't it worth it.

If I were a lawyer, I'd take the victim's case in a SECOND. If you take the other side, you'd lose.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
But there's no murder in countries where guns are banned, right?

Wherever people live there are murders,that is my point, NOTHING can be done to stop evil actions by others,well we could kill everyone...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I disagree. I think that there is a point of no return and that people can be helped before that happens. The "how" is what I'm not certain about.
If you don't know HOW then you cannot help.

And if those who need the help do not ask for it then you won't know until it is too late.

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
If I were a lawyer, I'd take the victim's case in a SECOND. If you take the other side, you'd lose.
Just goes to show that some are driven purely by their emotions devoid of logic or any respect for the law. Why think when you can just F E E L... it is the very thing that helped shrub go to war so why not use the same fears and emotion for another war a little closer to home.

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Wherever people live there are murders,that is my point, NOTHING can be done to stop evil actions by others,well we could kill everyone...

This is a great line of the gun lovers as they yet again shrug their shoulders. Read the stats and get back to us.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:27 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
One just happened recently in Finland.

I would also look beyond the weapon,it is simply a tool and if it was not available there are other methods of killing available.

Switzerland is an interesting example of a heavily armed society yet for some reason such crimes are not happening.
I would imagine part of the reason is Switzerland, which as you point out is an interesting exception, is not sending armies into other parts of the World and then bringing their soldiers back with psychological trauma and letting them back into general society without medical care.

The phrase Going Postal derives from the various incidence in the 1980s of Postal Workers mowing down people. In these cases and many others there is a high correlation with the killer being VietNam vets suffering from PTSD.

Now we most likely are going to go through this again with Iraqi vets.

Let's see how many use knives or screwdrivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies