Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
would you want your kids growing up in a town like that?
Yeah no problem at all. All of my neighbors own guns. Myself included. No crime in my neighborhood, no accidental shootings and best of all no fear.
We watch out for each other. I went on vacation to thailand, never locked my doors. No problems.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 AM

333 posts, read 467,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
You can't? Worked for Jim Jones. Words can be much more powerful than guns.
But they died from cyanide...

We're getting a bit off topic here.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
But they died from cyanide...

We're getting a bit off topic here.
Why did they take it? Because of words.

I'll trade you my right to bear arms for your right to freedom of speech.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
I shall try not be quite so verbose in order for all to follow along. I shall attempt to make the simple even more so.

First off, the problem with engaging in such emotionally driven and reactionary discussions as they tend to gravitate to every corner of kneejerkville.

To start with, you stated that guns are the cause of the violence and they are not, they are a method of employing violence. Your heroin analogy was irrational and made no logical sense, at least to me. As I pointed out, blaming a pen for misspelling a word would be just as accurate as your statement and well, it just isn't true.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure it will.

First I'd like to extend my sympathies to those who live in Omaha.

Now, as for my rant -

I don't buy the phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people." It's a ridiculous statement. That's like saying "don't blame the Heroin dealer, blame Heroin." Those who claim the above are so blind to reality. Does anyone know the amount of gun deaths in America compared to other countries? Does anyone even care?

It shocks me that year after year, we deal with countless mass-killings. American's have the nerve to "ask why". Well, America, why do you think? We are entitled to the right to bear arms and gun laws are way too relaxed in the southern and western states.

I thought maybe after the horrific VA Tech killings, people would be more willing to give up this right for the common good.

I don't mean to tempt fate here, but there's a reason that so few mass-killings happen in the Northeast (the most populated region in the nation). GUN CONTROL.

How many more have to die before people open their eyes and their minds?
Quote:
Let me switch my argument.

What are guns good for?

EDITED to answer your "WHY" question TnHill - because the child is given the means. If it's not there, they wouldn't use it. Out of sight, out of mind.
To which I told you what guns are good for, killing people who wish to do me harm, the protection of my person and family under the law. This is where you attempted to change the argument or at least the course of the discussion from your first objection.

Quote:
Other than law enforcement? For the average citizen?
We now arrive at this, another change in direction. You started out saying that guns were the cause of violence, you then asked what purpose guns served, then you again ask for further diversion from the original argument. My fear is that if I again answer your question, it will resort with yet another question and so on. I am used to this sort of thing by various posters and sometimes I engage if I am bored.

Tell me, what precisely is it about guns that you object to? That they exist, that they kill, or that there are just too many of them?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Why did they take it? Because of words.

I'll trade you my right to bear arms for your right to freedom of speech.
IMO, your comparisons are asinine and aren't comparing apples to apples. The ability to bear arms shouldn't be a right but a privilege.

Interestingly, nearly nobody in my community owns a gun and we've been consistently been ranked one of the safest areas of the country (I believe it was THE safest for 4 years in a row recently).

All of you who live in gun-toting areas of the nation are just protecting yourselves from........yourselves.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
The ability to bear arms shouldn't be a right but a privilege.

Interestingly, nearly nobody in my community owns a gun and we've been consistently been ranked one of the safest areas of the country (I believe it was THE safest for 4 years in a row recently).

All of you who live in gun-toting areas of the nation are just protecting yourselves from........yourselves.
In the meantime it is a right and not a privilege but you are welcome to change that if you like. You may petition your Congressman, repeal the 2nd amendment and I will oblige the law and happily so.

As to safe, well I am willing to bet dollars for donuts that the crime rate in the surrounding area of my home is one of the lowest of anyones east of the Mississippi. In our case, nearly every man woman and child owns a gun and we would have them on key-chains if we could. The same principle that applies to nations, a thing call MAD or mutually assured destruction applies also at a very local level.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
IMO, your comparisons are asinine and aren't comparing apples to apples. The ability to bear arms shouldn't be a right but a privilege.

Shouldn't be a right? Perhaps you should pick up a history book and read up on inalienable rights. As I said earlier, you might be living in the wrong country if your philosophy is that different than that which this country was founded upon.

Unfortunately you can't understand my point about your freedom of speech. Speech has consistently been used to incite violence and been a primary vehicle for genocide. Yet we do not fear speech, we protect it... as we must our right to bear arms. Without our right to bear arms, we have no right to free speech.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I shall try not be quite so verbose in order for all to follow along. I shall attempt to make the simple even more so.

First off, the problem with engaging in such emotionally driven and reactionary discussions as they tend to gravitate to every corner of kneejerkville.

To start with, you stated that guns are the cause of the violence and they are not, they are a method of employing violence. Your heroin analogy was irrational and made no logical sense, at least to me. As I pointed out, blaming a pen for misspelling a word would be just as accurate as your statement and well, it just isn't true.

To which I told you what guns are good for, killing people who wish to do me harm, the protection of my person and family under the law. This is where you attempted to change the argument or at least the course of the discussion from your first objection.

We now arrive at this, another change in direction. You started out saying that guns were the cause of violence, you then asked what purpose guns served, then you again ask for further diversion from the original argument. My fear is that if I again answer your question, it will resort with yet another question and so on. I am used to this sort of thing by various posters and sometimes I engage if I am bored.

Tell me, what precisely is it about guns that you object to? That they exist, that they kill, or that there are just too many of them?
First, if you're going to quote me, please do it correctly.

I started out saying that guns are used by "those who hit rock bottom." They see no way out, tunnel vision almost, and know that there's a gun in their reach. The take full advantage. Do you know much about Psychology?

A few times, I had to repeat my questions because of your lack of will or understanding to accurately answer the question. You dodged it twice. You still haven't provided me with a viable answer to why guns are good and useful. To protect yourself against the "bad people" out there is actually pretty funny and, IMO, paranoid.

I'm not opposed to guns. I find them useful for law enforcement as without them, many much-needed operations would fail. I'm all for strict gun control - they have it in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc. Why not out west? Why not down south? It's obviously taking a toll down there - it's where nearly 100% of the mass-killings take place. As long as guns wind up in the right homes, I'm all for it. Sure, occasionally, things slip and guns are found in the wrong hands, but it shouldn't happen multiple times a year resulting in deaths in upwards of 50 people/year.

I'm sorry you're so bored that you're forced to engage in such a debate. May you soon find a hobby.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
In the meantime it is a right and not a privilege but you are welcome to change that if you like. You may petition your Congressman, repeal the 2nd amendment and I will oblige the law and happily so.

As to safe, well I am willing to bet dollars for donuts that the crime rate in the surrounding area of my home is one of the lowest of anyones east of the Mississippi. In our case, nearly every man woman and child owns a gun and we would have them on key-chains if we could. The same principle that applies to nations, a thing call MAD or mutually assured destruction applies also at a very local level.
Given that our founders clearly saw the Bill of Rights as an enumeration of our inalienable rights, I don't feel they can take them away. These rights were not granted by the government, merely enumerated by the government, therefore they may not be taken away.

Any measure to attempt to take away an inalienable right should be defended with the second one that was enumerated.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
As a little kid I spent 4 years in Omaha, Nebraska. I went to Kindergarten through Second Grade there. This was back in the early 80's. It seemed like a nice enough place, but then I was just a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies