Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Nice scare tactic. Corporate personhood has been a fact since 1867.
You don't understand the laws of incorporation.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yeah... "you're discriminating against my ability to discriminate!"

Sorry, doesn't cut it.

If you want to discriminate on religious basis, do it on your church or non-profit. Go be a Westboro church and hold up the ugly signs on a street corner, that's your right. If you're a for-profit enterprise operating a global supply chain - i.e., offering a secular product in a secular market space - you shouldn't get to use "religion" as a license to discriminate.

And Hobby Lobby, like most capitalistic enterprises, is only as "religious" as their financial interests suggest for them to be. They have no problem doing extensive business with the Chinese, who are not Christian and who whole-heartedly support contraception and abortion at a state level. What a crock.
So if I want to exchange goods or services for cash, I have to surrender my rights?

When I accepted employment, I agreed to the benefits package and salary. Had that not been acceptable, I wouldn't have accepted the position. You don't like Hobby Lobby benefits, don't work there. Now the fed gov mandates things they have no right to mandate other than for the fact that they are the biggest nastiest kid on the block.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
So if I want to exchange goods or services for cash, I have to surrender my rights?

When I accepted employment, I agreed to the benefits package and salary. Had that not been acceptable, I wouldn't have accepted the position. You don't like Hobby Lobby benefits, don't work there. Now the fed gov mandates things they have no right to mandate other than for the fact that they are the biggest nastiest kid on the block.
I would say that if Mr. Green wanted to impose religious beliefs onto his employees, he should not have incorporated Hobby Lobby.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:

And if you don't like the laws involved in operating a business, don't start a business. It works both ways.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
And if you don't like the laws involved in operating a business, don't start a business. It works both ways.
Wasn't Hobby Lobby doing just fine before Obama?

And they may close up shop.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would say that if Mr. Green wanted to impose religious beliefs onto his employees, he should not have incorporated Hobby Lobby.
Hiring someone is forcing religious beliefs? You lefties are really a weak minded bunch if that is what you think.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:

That would work. Someone else could buy the business who has no problem providing women decent healthcare.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:

A lot of people and things "were doing just fine before...." fill in the blank with anything you wish.

If he wants to close up shop that's ok with me. If he wants to do business in the country the way the laws are set that's ok with me too. What I'm not ok with is someone wanting to preserve something in perpetuity because they happen to like it, and crying like a baby about being persecuted when it's just time marching on. Perhaps this is natures (gods?) way of telling these folks it's time to move on.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
I'm sure they were. So what? How is this relevant to my point?

Quote:
That's odd. Hobby Lobby is opening a store here in Reno next month. Looks like it's expanding to me.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
He is not imposing his religious beliefs. If he were saying that no one that worked at Hobby Lobby was allowed to use contraceptives, that would be imposing his religious beliefs.
He is not doing that. His employees are free to take contraceptives. They are free to get abortions. He just isn't willing to pay for either in the benefit package he provides to employees.

Every company has a drug formulary that spells out which drugs they cover and which they don't. Companies have always been free to choose those things before Obama start pandering for votes with "free" birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies