Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,386 times

Advertisements

Neil Turok urges caution on BICEP2 results - physicsworld.com

So, the question I have here is two part...

1 - Why would the field/media fell compelled to release some grandstanding video and make emphatic statements that this has been "proven" when the science is clearly unsettled...

2 - Why was such major news propagated in such a weird and anti-climactic way. It seemed like it was scripted.

If you read about the findings from BICEP2, they make these claims from the detection of E and B mode polarization and there are arguments whether these components are even cosmological.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Just a pet-peeve, but the title should use the word supported rather than proven, as scientific theories are not proofs. Such usage is benign to those who understand science, but can confuse those who don't.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Just a pet-peeve, but the title should use the word supported rather than proven, as scientific theories are not proofs. Such usage is benign to those who understand science, but can confuse those who don't.
mmm....yea, let's not try to wriggle out of the sensationalism by chalking it up to semantics.

Words DO mean something but the focus on this thread is how the media ran with this one (and also CD members).

Several outlets used terms like "smoking gun" and "Lindes theory was 'right'"

Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
mmm....yea, let's not try to wriggle out of the sensationalism by chalking it up to semantics.

Words DO mean something but the focus on this thread is how the media ran with this one (and also CD members)...
Agreed, which is why I said it was just a pet-peeve. I'm not trying to wriggle out of anything. I'm just trying to clear up a misconception for those who think theories are proofs. That's all.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agreed, which is why I said it was just a pet-peeve. I'm not trying to wriggle out of anything. I'm just trying to clear up a misconception for those who think theories are proofs. That's all.
Fair enough.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
I am not a scientist but the debate in the link is about the nature of the Big Bang - not whether it occurred or not. One theory about the nature of the Big Bang is Chaotic Inflation theory. Some scientists believe they have detected gravitational waves that support this theory. Other scientists aren't so sure. I haven't seen or heard of this "grandstanding video" of which you speak and this is the first I've heard about this 'discovery'.

Even Linde says: "First we really need to double- and triple-check it," he said. "If you are doing something which is wrong and stupid, you better be the first to know."

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...s-theory-birth.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I am not a scientist but the debate in the link is about the nature of the Big Bang - not whether it occurred or not. One theory about the nature of the Big Bang is Chaotic Inflation theory. Some scientists believe they have detected gravitational waves that support this theory. Other scientists aren't so sure. I haven't seen or heard of this "grandstanding video" of which you speak.
It's in the "Another shot to Creationism" thread...It was the yahoo video where Kuo visited Linde to tell him the "news"...

Being that the BICEP2 discovery, and this video, are supporting the inflation theory..and this is being tossed around as a "smoking gun", that should allow you to glean how much stock goes into the inflation theory supporting Big Bang in the first place.

But, the elephant in the room is why was this video broke in the way it was?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
But, the elephant in the room is why was this video broke in the way it was?
I don't understand your concern or question. Some sort of conspiracy theory?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I don't understand your concern or question. Some sort of conspiracy theory?
What don't you understand? It's pretty simple.

Why was this news broken as a "smoking gun"? It was very straightforward...lol

No conspiracy theory...just a wild exaggeration and propaganda. Let me know if I can clear anything else up for you.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I actually did see the video a few days ago. I have a lot of science/geeky friends on FB (we are all pretty geeky BTW, myself included and I'm very proud of my geek factor).

Personally, I don't understand why the OP is upset about the posting of the video. It was on a site specific to the field and not in the mainstream media, maybe it was picked up by some station or something, but it was originally not a mainstream network vid.

If anything, this thread is proof of the religious right trying to always spin anything that doesn't agree with their 6000 year old earth mumbo jumbo into an attack on them.

Newsflash, you are not a victim just because this man's idea about the big bang was "proven." You can believe whatever you want. Also "physicsworld.com" is not main stream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies