Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Who's outraged?. Kinda like when Andy Cooper says "this will make your head explode"...lmfao. What a shill.

Media Matters is a Soros funded organization that swears that the media in this country is biased towards the right. Media Matters has been a joke since its inception.

They need the fake paradigm of hate to be discussed, lest Americans learn the truth about our economy and what's the truth is.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Didn't people start using, "homosexual" as the preferred PC term as to not offend anyone with words like, "gay". Now "homosexual"l is offensive and "gay" is not? I like word games like scrabble and crossword puzzles as much as the next person but this game seems pretty nonsensical. No?
As a homosexual I can see your point. Yes, both 'gay' and 'homosexual' are FAR from pejorative words.

But the word 'gay' does seem to be a more playful, slangy way to say that you're into the same gender. Whilst 'homosexual' sounds formal, it can be more often used by those who are against it. Homophobes refuse to call gay people 'gay' because, well, they are not 'happy' and they think we bastardised that word. So they often go with 'homosexual' and 'fa*got'.

Fox has used the word 'homosexual' to degrade and insult gays from what I noticed. As I said they probably think the word 'gay' is too nice-sounding, soft and slangy to refer it those they dislike.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I'm not going to say that using the word homosexual is some sort of heinous hate crime, but it is a pretty archaic word, and one who uses it frequently will be assumed to be uncomfortable with people of that description. And the assumption will usually be correct.

Some people don't care about giving that impression (or want to give that impression) about themselves, and they can have at it.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
This is something stirred up by professional agitators. When I was a kid, it was still normal to call east Asians "oriental." People called me oriental and I referred to myself as oriental. Then one day, oriental is now an offensive word and it just has to stop. It was news to me that it was offensive. Never did I even hear it used in a derogatory way. But now if someone uses the term, they'll get slammed as a racist. It's only this way because there are people out there, like Media Matters, that make a living pretending to be offended about something. Once people stop being offended, they lose their power.
that's one i definitely never understood.

why is 'oriental' horrendously offensive, but 'asian' is not?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
As a homosexual I can see your point. Yes, both 'gay' and 'homosexual' are FAR from pejorative words.

But the word 'gay' does seem to be a more playful, slangy way to say that you're into the same gender. Whilst 'homosexual' sounds formal, it can be more often used by those who are against it. Homophobes refuse to call gay people 'gay' because, well, they are not 'happy' and they think we bastardised that word. So they often go with 'homosexual' and 'fa*got'.

Fox has used the word 'homosexual' to degrade and insult gays from what I noticed. As I said they probably think the word 'gay' is too nice-sounding, soft and slangy to refer it those they dislike.
Just to note.....much of Fox News isn't news so this wouldn't apply to that portion but the news probably should use a formal description as opposed to slang. This would be a general thing.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
"Homosexual" is clinical and dated. Do people really not know this, or are they just pretending not to?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Think of it this way. If FoxNews were using the term "coloreds" wouldn't that be a red flag? It's the same kind of reaction here./

Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
really?

these media matters wackjobs are as deranged as some of the 'fox news!' shriekers on C-D.
And w should care what media matters thinks? I din 't think so!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
really?

these media matters wackjobs are as deranged as some of the 'fox news!' shriekers on C-D.

Nothing some politically correct term, can't fix to hide the truth.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post

These are the definitions from dictionary.com, both words in the dictionary refer to people who have a sexual desire to the same sex. So, I fail to see how fox news using the word homosexual is degrading and insulting. As someone else said in a previous post, people need to grow a back bone, this word is not degrading or insulting.

gay

[gey] Show IPA
adjective, gay·er, gay·est. 1. of, pertaining to, or exhibiting sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex; homosexual: a gay couple.

2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.

3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. Synonyms: cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe. Antonyms: serious, grave, solemn, joyless; staid, sedate; unhappy, morose, grim; sad, depressed, melancholy.

4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. Synonyms: colorful, brilliant, vivid, intense, lustrous; glittering, theatrical, flamboyant. Antonyms: dull, drab, somber, lackluster; conservative.

5. Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive. awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: This game is really gay.

homosexual (ˌhəʊməʊˈsɛksjʊəl, ˌhɒm-) — n 1. a person who is sexually attracted to members of the same sex — adj 2. of or relating to homosexuals or homosexuality 3. of or relating to the same sex
1. of, pertaining to, or exhibiting homosexuality.

2. of, pertaining to, or noting the same sex.

noun 3. a homosexual person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies