Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM

872 posts, read 827,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
"Homosexual" is clinical and dated. Do people really not know this, or are they just pretending not to?

Clinical and dated, no it's not. It's a word I hear every day, from some media outlet somewhere.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Who's outraged?. Kinda like when Andy Cooper says "this will make your head explode"...lmfao. What a shill.

Media Matters is a Soros funded organization that swears that the media in this country is biased towards the right. Media Matters has been a joke since its inception.

They need the fake paradigm of hate to be discussed, lest Americans learn the truth about our economy and what's the truth is.

Media Matters takes outright lies told by the media and exposes them to the light of day. Since FOX News has always distorted the truth or been blatantly untruthful in their reporting, it makes sense that this network comes up on their radar most frequently.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Clinical and dated, no it's not. It's a word I hear every day, from some media outlet somewhere.
Only a media outlet with an agenda, because nobody else is using it.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
really?

these media matters wackjobs are as deranged as some of the 'fox news!' shriekers on C-D.
This is laughable! "Homosexual" is recognized as a pejorative term? It is the correct term! But, that is the nature of "political correctness." We cannot use the correct terminology, we have to invent euphemisms that sound "nicer."

I have decided not to use "gay" anymore, as that word does not describe what a homosexual is. "Homosexual" is the correct term, and that's what I will use.

I applaud Fox News for their correctness.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Really? Because I can remember when the word "gay was considered a forbidden word. Homosexual was considered more PC. This was in the mid 80's.
In the 50's gay meant "happy" .......kind of strange when others complain about hijacked words.
Remember When Gay Meant Happy?
I learned the Australian song “Kookaburra” in grade school. Remember the lyrics? “Laugh Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra. Gay your life must be.” Yesterday, a story broke about a school who changed the word “gay” to “fun.” Talk about homophobia running rampant!

An Australian school principal has asked students to stop using the word “gay” when singing a classic children’s song, but said Thursday no offense was intended – he was simply trying to keep the kids from laughing.
Principal Garry Martin of Le Page Primary School in Melbourne said he instructed students to substitute the line “Fun your life must be” for the original “Gay your life must be” when singing “Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree.” The song about a native Australian bird is a favorite around campfires from New Zealand to Canada.
Martin said he was playing a recording of the song for the students about a month ago when the line “gay your life must be” produced a flurry of giggles throughout the classroom. Some of the students use the word “gay” as a schoolyard taunt, he said, but don’t understand its true meaning. And so, to calm them down, he told them to swap in the word “fun” for “gay.”

His decision erupted into a controversy, he said, after one of the students told his parents about Martin’s change to the song. Word then spread from the parents to friends to the local newspaper, which ran a story – and Martin found himself being bombarded with angry e-mails.

“It sends a signal to people that just because a word has two meanings, that one of those meanings is unacceptable and that’s really putting us backwards,” Hillis said. “Even if it’s done for good intentions because gay’ is being used in schoolyards as a slur, I think they need to use the word as a conversation rather than banning it.”
Martin said his decision was a mistake made with the best of intentions, and he plans to speak to the students about how different words hold different meanings across generations.

He also plans to ask students to sing the original version of the song.
Remember When Gay Meant Happy? « 94.5 KOOL FM

Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
that's one i definitely never understood.

why is 'oriental' horrendously offensive, but 'asian' is not?

People are Asian. Rugs are Oriental.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Media Matters, Soros owned and funded.

I place no credence in what they spout.

They can wish in one hand and crap in the other.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
really?

these media matters wackjobs are as deranged as some of the 'fox news!' shriekers on C-D.
So the libs over at MediaMatters have placed homosexuals into a box with a label on it, and how dare anyone else use a different term.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
People are Asian. Rugs are Oriental.
asian denotes a particular geographic area. so does oriental.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
This is laughable! "Homosexual" is recognized as a pejorative term? It is the correct term! But, that is the nature of "political correctness." We cannot use the correct terminology, we have to invent euphemisms that sound "nicer."

I have decided not to use "gay" anymore, as that word does not describe what a homosexual is. "Homosexual" is the correct term, and that's what I will use.

I applaud Fox News for their correctness.

If you always refer to straight people as "heterosexuals" and insert the word "sexual" into anything having to do with opposite-sex relationships, then congratulations, you have intellectual consistently, at least:

Heterosexual marriage, heterosexual parents, heterosexual _____.

Problem is most people emphasize and use homosexual because they want to focus on the sex part. It's deliberate, and its calculated, and fairly transparent to most people when it's occurring.

Nothing at all to do with "political correctness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies