Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why would you want to give a racist your hard earned money?
So are the racist owners of stores going to put signs in the window stating that they do not serve _____s or _____s?

If not, how would anyone know so as to not shop at that store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I walk in with my wife I may not get served.
Your wife is not African American.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
First and foremost, wanted to say that the lawmaker in question says he is a republican for the ideology he adheres to is more of the Libertarian variety and I personally feel that true conservatives and especially Republicans should press him hard to leave their party so that they won't be associated with wanting to repeal civil rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
ThinkProgress?

Please.

Harrier thought that you were looking for great news, not a spin doctor website.
In regards to the above, in case it wasn't posted earlier, the Think Progress article (I probably share your views on Think Progress) is based on a snippet of an article done by the Rapid City Journal (South Dakota's Most Conservative Lawmaker?) which included the following quote from the lawmaker in question:

Quote:

Jensen remains a supporter of SB 128. He calls it a bill that would have
ensured the freedom of businesses to choose their clientele.

"It's a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the
right to free speech and private property rights," he said.

Jensen goes so far as to say that businesses should have the right to deny
service based on a customer's race or religion – whether that's right or wrong,
he says, can be fairly addressed by the free market, not the government.

"If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little
bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they
refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business
would shut down because no one is going to patronize them," he said.
He is backing an actual bill in SD in an attempt to allow business owners to discriminate against the public. IMO that does equate to him saying that business owners should be able to turn away "African-Americans" if they so choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh for God's sake. So you all want to keep outdated and unnecessary laws on the books because you have no faith that people can do the right thing? That explains so much about Dems, they think they know everything, and they view this world in a very negative light.
In regards to the bold and as a black person, no. I don't have faith that people can do the right thing. Humans by nature are flawed. This is the primary reason I feel that Libertarians and those who espouse Libertarian ideologies are....I will be gentle and say ignorant. People will do what benefits them and their group/family/etc. the most without considering others for the most part.

Our country did start off more Libertarian and letting people do what they want to do, thinking that they would do the right thing. All municipalities have a recent history (within 200 years) of having this form of government and it didn't work. That is why codes were passed and that is why laws were enacted that would protect all members of our society.

And FWIW, I live in Atlanta. There is a restaurant in metro Atlanta, in Marietta, a very close suburb of Atlanta that is very diverse - I used to live there, that has a restaurant that constantly has signs that display discriminatory messages in regards to blacks, Hispanics, and homosexuals, all of which are large in population in metro Atlanta. They have been in business for YEARS and people still go to that restaurant, it is very popular.

A couple articles about it:

Bar owner puts up sign with racial slur - CBS46 News
'Racist' Bar Sign: White House Smells Like Fried Chicken - Around Town - South Cobb, GA Patch

FWIW, they get more press when there is some controversial legislation or an election going on. In 2008 the owner sold t-shirts that depicted President Obama as Curious George eating a banana that made the news.

Their Yelp reviews are full of people who make excuses for the discriminatory marquees and who still frequent the place. I fully believe that if a bill similar to what this SD lawmaker is supporting was passed here in GA (they tried to pass one here in GA but it didn't pass) that that restaurant would choose to refuse blacks and Hispanics and homosexuals and that they would still be open, just have they have been for nearly 40 years.

I used to live about a mile from this place BTW and the marquees have been much more vile in nature most of the time than the ones that are displayed in the media.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Your wife is not African American.
I don't think a Klansman would serve us.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So are the racist owners of stores going to put signs in the window stating that they do not serve _____s or _____s?

If not, how would anyone know so as to not shop at that store?

If they discriminate against you they would probably ask you to leave in the absence of laws prohibiting discrimination or put up signs.

This is really a philisophocal argument on the proper limits of government power. Repealing any part of the Civil Rights Act would cause too much political damage with very little, if any, real benefit.

This nation would be much better off if the natural rights of African-Americans had not been so grossly violated for centuries. I guess violating the natural rights of business owners is part of the medicine to rectify those previous violations.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
First and foremost, wanted to say that the lawmaker in question says he is a republican for the And FWIW, I live in Atlanta. There is a restaurant in metro Atlanta, in Marietta, a very close suburb of Atlanta that is very diverse - I used to live there, that has a restaurant that constantly has signs that display discriminatory messages in regards to blacks, Hispanics, and homosexuals, all of which are large in population in metro Atlanta. They have been in business for YEARS and people still go to that restaurant, it is very popular.

A couple articles about it:

Bar owner puts up sign with racial slur - CBS46 News
'Racist' Bar Sign: White House Smells Like Fried Chicken - Around Town - South Cobb, GA Patch

FWIW, they get more press when there is some controversial legislation or an election going on. In 2008 the owner sold t-shirts that depicted President Obama as Curious George eating a banana that made the news.

Their Yelp reviews are full of people who make excuses for the discriminatory marquees and who still frequent the place. I fully believe that if a bill similar to what this SD lawmaker is supporting was passed here in GA (they tried to pass one here in GA but it didn't pass) that that restaurant would choose to refuse blacks and Hispanics and homosexuals and that they would still be open, just have they have been for nearly 40 years.

I used to live about a mile from this place BTW and the marquees have been much more vile in nature most of the time than the ones that are displayed in the media.
Would you ever eat there?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I walk in with my wife I may not get served.
Why?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why?
Whites who marry outside their race ain't real popular with hardcore racists.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
If they discriminate against you they would probably ask you to leave in the absence of laws prohibiting discrimination or put up signs.

That is not what I asked.

How am I supposed to know if a particular store or business is allowed to discriminate?

I would not shop or do business with a store like that, so how would I know?

THAT is what I'm asking.

Since the theory is 'let the market handle it' of the person sponsoring this bill, how can the market know unless there are signs posted?
Let's say a particular business is allowed to discriminate against Blacks and Jews. I'm white and not Jewish, so I would be served. But how would I know that the business discriminates against others?

How can 'the market' make any type of decision about what businesses they will trade with if 'the market' is not informed of the business's policy?

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 03-27-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
if a business owner didn't want to serve me I wouldnt want the government forcing them to serve me...and I wouldnt wanna give them my business anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies