Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A Republican lawmaker in South Dakota believes that businesses should be able to deny services to African Americans, gay people, or anyone else who offends their religious beliefs.

Phil Jensen, who the Rapid City Journal describes as the state’s most conservative senator, argues that the government should get out of the way and allow the free market to shut down discriminatory businesses. Last session, he introduced a measure that would have allowed employers to turn away undesirable clients without any legal repercussions:

“It’s a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights,” he said.

South Dakota Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
ThinkProgress?

Please.

Harrier thought that you were looking for great news, not a spin doctor website.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I think any business should be able to turn away anyone they want and they have the right to go elsewhere and try to put that business out of business. However, if you had a replay of the widespread discrimination as you had in the South in the 60's and earlier, then I think Govt has a role to stop it.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think any business should be able to turn away anyone they want and they have the right to go elsewhere and try to put that business out of business. However, if you had a replay of the widespread discrimination as you had in the South in the 60's and earlier, then I think Govt has a role to stop it.
Where do you draw the line?

Either people have the right to free association or not.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Agreed. Not serving asshats is 1 thing, not serving people who DON'T try to start drama needs to be illegal.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:

That discrimintation was written into the law in those days. That is the only reason it was tolerated.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Either people have the right to free association or not.
Looks like "free association" is the new code word for outright discrimination. I don't think anyone with a working brain is fooled by this. This is nothing but a clever attempt by racists to force their socially pathogenic practices back into the public sphere. It would be an indictment on America to allow this to happen.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
When it comes to doing business, at discriminating against people because of their inherent traits.

Where do you draw it?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
This is a pointless argument. It's based on the idea that if businesses were allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, then they would. Well, maybe a few would, but most wouldn't. And there's already proof for this. The Civil Rights Act only applies to businesses open to the public. There are numerous members only chains like Sam's Club and Costco that can legally discriminate by race. Do they? No. With modern technology, it would be pretty easy for any chain to become members clubs and serve only those that have signed up for membership. They could then discriminate as much as they wanted to. But no one does this.

Keeping civil rights laws around at this point is just a way to keep a bloated government bureaucracy alive. Businesses should be free to serve whomever they please.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default The Real Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Republican lawmaker in South Dakota believes that businesses should be able to deny services to African Americans, gay people, or anyone else who offends their religious beliefs.

Phil Jensen, who the Rapid City Journal describes as the state’s most conservative senator, argues that the government should get out of the way and allow the free market to shut down discriminatory businesses. Last session, he introduced a measure that would have allowed employers to turn away undesirable clients without any legal repercussions:

“It’s a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights,” he said.

South Dakota Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Able To Turn Away African-Americans | ThinkProgress
If we are to achieve true equality in this country we must get away from Protected Classes. That is if your money is where your mouth is.

The other point is who business is it who you chose to do business with. After all I have been told we are in the "Age of Obama".

If all is equal all of these so call race Haters like Jessie Jackson and cast of equal opportunity haters to be dismissed.

Detroit, Chicago and Ci. are all train wrecks with race haters, corrupt pro Union City Gov.

You get my drift!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies