Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Edward Snowden be charged?
Yes 19 46.34%
No 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times

Advertisements

Only something like 10% of the files Edward Snowden stole were related to the domestic collection programs that have been revealed. That leaves a whole cache of other information that presumably details our capabilities of gathering intelligence abroad. Snowden has conveniently fled to Russia, and I don't doubt his willingness to provide that information to the Russian government, if he hasn't already. If you put aside your feelings about if he was justified in revealing the domestic collection capabilities that he did, should he be charged with treason or espionage or other related offenses? The answer is really irrelevant in the end, as the Russians will never hand him over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Snowden and Manning are heroes of the highest order. If Russia benefits collaterally from blows against the American empire, so be it.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Snowden allegedly stole tens of thousands of classified documents from the NSA and is apparently trading information to the Russians in return for sanctuary. For all anyone knows, he could have been working in concert with the Russians all along.

Charge him with treason. If convicted, execute him like the cockroach he is.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Snowden allegedly stole tens of thousands of classified documents from the NSA and is apparently trading information to the Russians in return for sanctuary. For all anyone knows, he could have been working in concert with the Russians all along.

Charge him with treason. If convicted, execute him like the cockroach he is.
He could have immediately travelled to some innocuous country with no extradition. Instead, he went to Russia. That tells me all I need to know about his intentions.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
He could have immediately travelled to some innocuous country with no extradition. Instead, he went to Russia. That tells me all I need to know about his intentions.
Russia was a third or fourth choice, as I recall. And he did not need only an innocuous country with no extradition, he needed a country with the means and the inclination to protect him from possible abductors.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Russia was a third or fourth choice, as I recall. And he did not need only an innocuous country with no extradition, he needed a country with the means and the inclination to protect him from possible abductors.
And why would they be inclined to protect him? Because he is such a nice guy, or because he can give more info than Aldrich Ames or Robert Hanssen did over years?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
And why would they be inclined to protect him? Because he is such a nice guy, or because he can give more info than Aldrich Ames or Robert Hanssen did over years?
I don't know or care--I don't expect people to martyr themselves in the process of humiliating Big Brother.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM

Russia is a convenient 3rd or 4th choice if he wants to disguise the fact that he was actually on the KGB's payroll all along.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Russia is a convenient 3rd or 4th choice if he wants to disguise the fact that he was actually on the KGB's payroll all along.
Perhaps he's really working for a race of superhumans from Alpha Centauri; but if we stick to the simplest explanation of the generally available evidence, Russia was not his first choice.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Perhaps he's really working for a race of superhumans from Alpha Centauri
I suppose anything is possible if you are foolish enough to believe it.

The fact remains that Russia is not letting Snowden stay there solely out of kind-hearted goodwill. If he wasn't previously on their payroll, you can rest assured he is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies