Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do politics affect the amount of racism in a state?
More racism conservative 9 37.50%
More racism liberal 10 41.67%
About the same 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

Do liberal or conservative politic leanings of a state make a difference in the amount of racism or is it the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
I've lived in blue state of Illinois.

Pink state of Missouri.

Red states of Tennessee and at the time N. Carolina.

It's not about conservative vs liberal because most cities are liberal.

The more separated the races are the worse it is because of the lack of exposure.

I know many who live in dark red deep south small town who cringe at the Chicago racism stories.

The myth that all white republicans are racists is the dumbest thing I've heard. Yes I'm gay and black. Democrats are just as racist.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Both parties have racist. I agree with mjtinmemphis in that it depends on the level of segregation. IMO Chicago is a very racist city primarily due to the overt segregation there and it is not just a white on black racism thing there as I know many black people from or who currently live there who hold very racist and prejudicial views of white people.

FWIW, I currently live in Atlanta, a pretty blue city in a red state and I do feel that there is a pervasiveness of racism here. Many people don't notice it but I do, also on multiple sides, similar to Chicago, but not as bad here IMO as there. I am from NW Ohio and grew up around a lot of different people in a very integrated setting and the racism where I live now has been pretty eye opening for me as when I was a naïve college student, I thought all that stuff was over in the 1960s-70s.

But on the whole with conservative racist I feel they base their racism moreso on non-facts about minorities and ignorance and they are more likely to spew stereotypical racial rhetoric. With liberals I feel that it is moreso something that they are unaware of in themselves - they see themselves as "saviors" many times and this idea that since they are "trying to help" makes them feel that their own stereotypical views of minority groups is not racist when it is and to me, they are a bit worse than the conservatives because they will think you should show them some sort of adoration for their views/work. And FWIW, this is a generalization as I am an independent and I don't hold specific racially charged views based on conservatism/liberalism. These are just my general observations as a black woman who has worked amongst and known many conservative whites especially and who has worked, especially in a volunteer setting with liberals in general. Many of the liberals I come across seem to truly believe that black people especially, all of us has some sort of street struggle and that is pretty funny to me.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Both parties have racist. I agree with mjtinmemphis in that it depends on the level of segregation. IMO Chicago is a very racist city primarily due to the overt segregation there and it is not just a white on black racism thing there as I know many black people from or who currently live there who hold very racist and prejudicial views of white people.

FWIW, I currently live in Atlanta, a pretty blue city in a red state and I do feel that there is a pervasiveness of racism here. Many people don't notice it but I do, also on multiple sides, similar to Chicago, but not as bad here IMO as there. I am from NW Ohio and grew up around a lot of different people in a very integrated setting and the racism where I live now has been pretty eye opening for me as when I was a naïve college student, I thought all that stuff was over in the 1960s-70s.

But on the whole with conservative racist I feel they base their racism moreso on non-facts about minorities and ignorance and they are more likely to spew stereotypical racial rhetoric. With liberals I feel that it is moreso something that they are unaware of in themselves - they see themselves as "saviors" many times and this idea that since they are "trying to help" makes them feel that their own stereotypical views of minority groups is not racist when it is and to me, they are a bit worse than the conservatives because they will think you should show them some sort of adoration for their views/work. And FWIW, this is a generalization as I am an independent and I don't hold specific racially charged views based on conservatism/liberalism. These are just my general observations as a black woman who has worked amongst and known many conservative whites especially and who has worked, especially in a volunteer setting with liberals in general. Many of the liberals I come across seem to truly believe that black people especially, all of us has some sort of street struggle and that is pretty funny to me.
Residinghere

I could not have said it better myself.

You are taking words out of my mouth.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Not the type of responses I was expecting when I read the title of the thread. It is nice to be surprised sometimes, thank you both for the insight.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Colorado is purple, has been more "magenta" (redder) in the past. There is little overt racism here, hasn't been since we moved here 33 years ago.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Different kinds of racism.. but they exist everywhere you go.

I am a northerner and black. I tend to find my experiences in the South to be far more vexing. Northerners (from "blue" states) generally care more about your wallet and socioeconomic class. Doing business in the South... I find that people are a bit more caught up in racial class and the old boy network. Let's just say when I am in the Southeastern United States, I am always reminded what color my skin is.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've lived in blue state of Illinois.

Pink state of Missouri.

Red states of Tennessee and at the time N. Carolina.

It's not about conservative vs liberal because most cities are liberal.

The more separated the races are the worse it is because of the lack of exposure.

I know many who live in dark red deep south small town who cringe at the Chicago racism stories.

The myth that all white republicans are racists is the dumbest thing I've heard. Yes I'm gay and black. Democrats are just as racist.
You are correct, and it doesn't vary by region either. People talk about Southern racism, but the worst I've ever been exposed to was in Boston.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
It is NOT the political party or even conservative or liberal. It is the person. I disagree that all white areas with no exposure to minorities, for instance, tend to be more prejudice. Or vice-versa. Certainly there are some there, yes, that fit this description. Myself I had no exposure to minorities growing up. Small town northern country boy. When I went into the military I became friends with an african-american man that was married to a white girl. In fact he and I chummed around so much you would think we were siamese twins. We hung out with her family (white) and with his friends (black). And the subject of skin color never came up. We were just pals and he even had me best man at their wedding. You have to look beyond people's skin color and see them for who they really are.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,037 times
I don't think either party has more racists, the average Republican and the average Democrat are good people. I hate it when some liberals say that we conservatives are racist, it really does upset me that they try to slander people like that.

Some areas do have more racism than others, but I don't think it's a regional or a "Red State/Blue State" thing. I have been to the South before, when I was in Jacksonville Florida the city was pretty segregated and I noticed more racism. Most of the black people lived on the West Side of the city and the White People lived elsewhere. I noticed more racism in the District of Columbia as well, which was also a very segregated city (probably the most segregated I have ever seen). However I've been to Charleston South Carolina and didn't see any racism, it had little to no segregation. Very elegant city, and it's very Red and in the Deep South. I've noticed plenty of racism in some parts of Southern California, these places that were also very segregated and also very Blue.

In short; segregation and a lack of education is what creates racism. It creates an "us and them" mentality. It's not conservative or liberal, it's not the South or the North, it's not Red vs Blue. We should build a color blind society, unfortunately I blame the liberals for not allowing this to happen. It's like they're OBSESSED with race! They always mention it, always bring it up, even in things that have nothing to do with it (Voter ID, Illegal Immigration etc...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies