Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should America form a political/economic union with Canada similar to the E.U.?
Yes 22 23.40%
No 72 76.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times

Advertisements

juppiter.

OK lets turn this around, shall we ?

Can I, as a Canadian walk into a store in YOUR US home town and buy things , and pay with my Canadian dollars ?? Of course not. The fact that you can spend your dollars in Canada is a reflection of our being pragmatic, and more worldly in our outlook.

One of our national banks ( CIBC ) now offers a service where they will have foreign cash delivered to your home, by a courier. That covers about 70 different currencies.

link. CIBC launches home delivery cash | Watch News Videos Online

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:24 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
juppiter.

Can I, as a Canadian walk into a store in YOUR US home town and buy things , and pay with my Canadian dollars ?? Of course not. The fact that you can spend your dollars in Canada is a reflection of our being pragmatic, and more worldly in our outlook.

One of our national banks ( CIBC ) now offers a service where they will have foreign cash delivered to your home, by a courier. That covers about 70 different currencies.

Jim B.
The US dollar is the world's reserve currency. Why don't you try a different approach?

Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Can't we just make Canada the 51st state?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Can't we just make Canada the 51st state?
And if the majority of Canadians reject the idea of becoming Americas 51st state? what then?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And if the majority of Canadians reject the idea of becoming Americas 51st state? what then?
Well there's only 36 million of them (you?). We have that many disposable people who aren't contributing to society as we speak. That's a pretty big biological weapon we could send your way.

Instead of a wall in a manner so Berlin-like we'll build an conveyer belt and be the conduit for your forced multiculturalism.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:13 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I was just reading a thread about Russia hypothetically joining the EU and I got this idea. As an American I would support a political/economic union between the United States and Canada that allows for free trade and free movement for citizens of the two countries. We could call this the North American Union (NAMU). Americans could live and work in Canada if they please and Canadians could do the same in America. It would be set up like the EU but America and Canada could retain a bit more sovereignty than the EU countries.

I know many would be fiercely against this but it could very well be in our best interest in the long term. What do you think?
I fully support completely free trade and the ability to travel freely from Canada to the US with minimal hassle. Canada and the US, while both very distinct, to actually have a lot in common. I do think they should both remain completely politically sovereign. I don't know if the EU has it's own central government, but I'm fairly certain it does, and I think it may be best to keep the two governments separate. I don't want political representatives from either trying to take more power and making policy in their own country's favor.

I would also consider keeping two different currencies. The Euro has lost a lot of value right now and really, money conversion isn't that hard. I don't even care if both currencies are accepted in both countries, but I do not think it would be wise to create a single currency.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well there's only 36 million of them (you?). We have that many disposable people who aren't contributing to society as we speak. That's a pretty big biological weapon we could send your way.

Instead of a wall in a manner so Berlin-like we'll build an conveyer belt and be the conduit for your forced multiculturalism.
Is that the way America works now?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
juppiter.

Jim B.

You cannot use Canadian dollars in my town, I am 800 miles south of the border. Most people here have never been to Canada nor have they seen your money so I would think you would have a tough time using it. However I used to live in Michigan and yes Canadian money is part of life there. When I lived there I often had Canadian currency in my wallet, and Canadian coins in my pocket all mixed in with our money. If I crossed the border I usually had the Canadian dollars to spend there, best to use it there rather than risk being taken on the exchange rate. (depending on whose $$ was worth the most at the time) Canadian money is accepted in many places in Michigan, and the closer you get to the border the more it is accepted. Most Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border making them very familiar with the Northern US. Most residents of Northern US states are the same way toward Canada, they are used to seeing your money for instance. However the US population gets less informed and accustomed to Canada as you head south.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
See how that work out for EU. I voted no.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
I would imagine one of the most important things about being a Canadian is independence from the big bully to the south. I'm surprised they are as friendly towards us as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies