Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...unreal.

We couldn't subdue Iraq, can't subdue Afghanistan, but folks think we'd have a shot against Russia on Eurasian soil?

SMH...Americans.
America is great at invasion and pretty damn bad at occupation. This is why Bush the Elder was smart in not occupying Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In WW II...THE US HAD INFERIOR TECHNOLOGY, who's in charge?
In WW I...THE ALLIES HAD INFERIOR TECHNOLOGY, who's in charge?
The powers who could mobilize the larger economy was left in charge.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Russia can barely match the GDP of Italy, and they'd be facing a unified Germany, a bunch of former satellite states who wouldn't mind a little payback, to say nothing of the rest of NATO.

And there's no call to invade Russia - just contain.
There is no rationality from a lot of people who seem to be driven by fear and fantasies. Russia is no longer the Soviet Union.

Russia is a fairly poor nation. This idea that they are about to reconstitute the former Soviet Union is pure fantasy which of course is encouraged by war mongers in this nation.

The level of fear and paranoia.....

The same people who were comparing Saddam Hussein to Hitler are now comparing Russia to the Soviet Union after WW2 when Europe was decimated, these people are wrong about everything, all the time and we have to stop giving their fear based irrational opinions weight.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
America is great at invasion and pretty damn bad at occupation. This is why Bush the Elder was smart in not occupying Iraq.
Our technology advantage serves us well for invasion and annihilation, and is totally unsuitable for almost any other military purpose because of our national will. We barely tolerate invasion, and absolutely will not tolerate annihilation, so what technology advantages we do possess, we are culturally too timid to employ.

And global opinion always, every day and twice on Sunday, unanimously, undeniably favors defenders over attackers. Doing anything to Putin now makes us the bad guy attacker and him the sympathetic victim defender.

Only way to get around that is unanimity in the General Assembly, but the world's bad guys like Vlad more than Barack, so no go there. Again, war with Putin is stupidity on the galactic scale. It has literally no upside for the US whatsoever, and will cost money and blood Americans are already loathe to spend.

On Putin's eastern frontier, he controls the whole game, lock stock and barrel.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
By no means do I think we should invade Russia. All I am saying is we have the ability to do so and win if we needed to.

No one knows what would happen if things didn't stay unconventional as many of the defensive tech is classified and since icbm's have not been fired we have not seen the tech deployed. The only assumption I can make is this area of defensive tech is probably something the US has kept researching over the last 20-30 years, I doubt I Russia could say the same thing, but that is pure speculation.
Let's just say I don't want to find out. I mean, we do have certain advantages militarily, but I don't think it would be a walk in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Afghanistan has inferior technology, who's in charge?
Iraq had inferior technology, who's in charge?
North Vietnam and the Viet Cong had inferior technology, who's in charge?
North Korea had inferior technology, who's in charge?

In WW II...THE US HAD INFERIOR TECHNOLOGY, who's in charge?
In WW I...THE ALLIES HAD INFERIOR TECHNOLOGY, who's in charge?

In the American Revolution, the Colonials had inferior technology, who's in charge?

Don't think technology wins every fight. National will power has much more to do with who comes out ahead. Europeans tire quickly of war, so too do Americans. We put boots and armor on the ground to push Putin backwards and he only needs to hold firm or make the advance costly, and the collective spinelessness of the US and EU people will do the rest. Ukraine does not matter to the EU all that much, and it doesn't matter at all to 99.9999% of the United States. War with Russia would be only about Obama and the powers that be in the EU saving face, and no other reason really. The people of the US and EU would say rah rah for about an hour or until the first body count and then begin whining and complaining about our government.

All the technology in the world cannot budge a politician staring at dropping poll numbers. And any conflict with Russia happens on Russian ground. Mercenary troops fighting for paychecks are no match for people defending their home. And Russia is not without friends who also hold no special love for the United States.

America gains nothing making war with Russia, so why do it?

There is nothing to gain. Only the potential loss of a lot of American lives.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Missing a return or enter key?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Gee............. for once I agree.

The Russian military is poorly equipped, poorly trained, and has inferior conventional equipment. Europe alone could steam roll the Russians in a conventional conflict without any help from the US.

Keep in mind that Russia's GDP is equal to that of California.
I don't know... that's what we like to tell ourselves. They have nukes though. Nukes don't have to be state of the art to be effective. If, and I think we should, move on Russia. It should be with the understanding that the conflict will go nuclear. So... do we wait for them to do it or do we do it first. That is the only question. The o.p. was way too long... settling things with Russia settles things for the entire planet once and for all. If Russia's GDP is only equivalent to that of California it is because the Oligarchs don't need much more than they have. America's economy is similalry stagnant. There has been scant growth in America's GDP as well. Time to shake things up. Literally. Nuke the planet back to a level playing field.

H

Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
The powers who could mobilize the larger economy was left in charge.
Didn't mean we had a technology edge though. Every weapon system of the time was inferior to a German or Russian counterpart. Every, single one, minus the atomic bombs, since ours were the only ones. Our logistics were superior, our industrial base was superior, without a doubt, but our technology was pitifully inferior, and Hitler had made the vital error of not learning from his own country's mistakes in WW I or everyone's mistakes throughout history where invading Russia is concerned.

The world is fortunate Hitler was a crackhead nutbag who commanded his military based on psychotic emotions rather than tactics, otherwise, the EU would be currently called The Fatherland.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know... that's what we like to tell ourselves. They have nukes though. Nukes don't have to be state of the art to be effective. If, and I think we should, move on Russia. It should be with the understanding that the conflict will go nuclear. So... do we wait for them to do it or do we do it first. That is the only question. The o.p. was way too long... settling things with Russia settles things for the entire planet once and for all. If Russia's GDP is only equivalent to that of California it is because the Oligarchs don't need much more than they have. America's economy is similalry stagnant. There has been scant growth in America's GDP as well. Time to shake things up. Literally. Nuke the planet back to a level playing field.

H
It's people like this that scare me more then any wacko world leader! You've got to be kidding!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Patton.

I could careless about the Ukraine and you could only challenge Russia with the major powers of the EU leading the attack.

In a word isnt going to happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies