Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times

Advertisements

RENJE: America’s youth problem | Clayton News Daily

I can't even comment on this. But I do want to know your opinion. Do you think that the millennials are more detached than other generations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,941 times
No I think whining Boomers are completed detached from reality.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM

808 posts, read 1,879,365 times
Being detached from the ideological dogma of politics and religion is a good thing.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I can't even comment on this.
That's still no excuse to not quote a few pertinent paragraphs giving some clue as to
what the story is about and what aspect has you riled up enough to start a thread on it.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's still no excuse to not quote a few pertinent paragraphs giving some clue as to
what the story is about and what aspect has you riled up enough to start a thread on it.
It is not in any way an indictment of millenials, nor a "boomers are better" type article so no one needs to feel defensive (that is really aimed at Amy's post above). It basically discusses recent studies looking at younger generations not feeling a desire to belong to civic organizations, churches, stick to political causes, or even social institutions such as marriage. It does NOT blame them, but points the finger both at today's technology that encourages a certain detachment but mainly blames older generations for letting them down so often. The article concludes that it is up to us, older generations, to wok toward regain the trust of the younger generations.

"Time and time again, they’ve been let down by their government at all levels run by both Democrats as well as Republicans, their community, their athletic and celebrity role models, their teachers, coaches, parents and churches. Basically all of adulthood has let our youth culture down.
So what to do?
.....I think we tend to accept situational ethics; we justify or rationalize bad behavior. But when we do that, we forget that our kids are watching us.

I believe it’s a bottom up, grass roots effort that we need. We need to rebuild our marriages, our homes and our communities, while helping others to do likewise. To accomplish this, we simply need to love everybody as Jesus loved them. It’s not difficult, although we make it so."

Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Oh, so it's another "they need Jesus" article. I think the modern generation will be just fine. They may be a bit more detached emotionally, but at the same time they have loads more access to information than previous generations. They'll be less likely to buy the b.s. being spouted by politicians and religious hawkers and more able to form their own opinions on what's happening around them. They're also more accepting of others, because of the ability to see more than what is directly within a five-mile radius of their homes.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,142,463 times
From the article:
Quote:
Milibank who writes from a left of center perspective and Douhat, from the right, both cited a recent Pew Study which found “the 18-to-33 crowd less attached than older generations to organized politics and religion, less patriotic, less eager to marry and less trusting of people.”
Looks to me like Millennials are more cognizant of America's problems than the older folks.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Oh, so it's another "they need Jesus" article. I think the modern generation will be just fine. They may be a bit more detached emotionally, but at the same time they have loads more access to information than previous generations. They'll be less likely to buy the b.s. being spouted by politicians and religious hawkers and more able to form their own opinions on what's happening around them. They're also more accepting of others, because of the ability to see more than what is directly within a five-mile radius of their homes.
No, if you read it he talks about us as in society, not youth in particular. It's also from a small town in Georgia newspaper, not USA Today or the NY Times. It shouldn't surprise anyone that a tiny town newspaper in the south serving a low income, rural population of 2 or 3 thousand people might have a religious slant. It is not surprising to me that a tiny town in Georgia might be concerned about young people not joining churches. Honestly I'm not sure why it's even being mentioned. There are tons of tiny town newspapers all over the country whose views reflect the population they serve but not necessarily the views of the country at large. They never intended it for nationwide distribution and I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-19-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM

278 posts, read 277,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Being detached from the ideological dogma of politics and religion is a good thing.
Depends what the void is replaced with. Pop culture, sports and other forms of entertainment, then I would disagree.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times
Well it's not like organized religion or any of the two major political parties have done anything beneficial for people in my age bracket so why shouldn't we feel apathetic? At the end of the day it's every man and woman for him/herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies