Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times

Advertisements

In the current series finale, the three hosts - Richard Hammond, James May and Jeremy Clarkson - are tasked with building a bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

After completion, Clarkson, said: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards him on a makeshift bridge. Co-presenter Richard Hammond, replied: 'You're right, it's definitely higher on that side.

The word 'slope' being a derogatory term for people of Asian descent.

There's a clip showing the incident in the article below.

BBC could be sued for £1M over Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear 'racism' | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
How is slope derogatory, especially when it comes to Asians? LOL

Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

I have to admit I watched both one hour episodes of the recent Burma Special and never really picked up on the Slope thing, I just thought they were discussing the bridge, and I can't say I have even heard of the term slope in a derogatory sense.

As for the legal case, it's a bit over the top, especially given that the original men who built the Burma Railway, the Bridge over the River Kwai and indeed who fought in the region during WW2 never received much in the way of recompense.

In terms of the BBC, why didn't they just edit the piece out if it was controversial rather than leave license fee payers picking up a massive tab for some easily offended bit part actress who has nothing better to do with her time.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
When I watched it, I thought of the bridge which was sloping at an awkward angle.

Some people must be really jealous that those 3 are living pretty awesome lives.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
In the current series finale, the three hosts - Richard Hammond, James May and Jeremy Clarkson - are tasked with building a bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

After completion, Clarkson, said: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards him on a makeshift bridge. Co-presenter Richard Hammond, replied: 'You're right, it's definitely higher on that side.

BBC could be sued for £1M over Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear 'racism' | Mail Online
Frickin' hilarous!!!

Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
I loved that episode and I love that show just because they're not PC all the time. With that said, I didn't know about the negative connotations of the word slope.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Glad to see the USA doesn't have a monopoly on the ridiculous false outrage industry.

How can someone sue over this? It appears that an Indian-born actress is the one seeking damages...so a guy on TV says something that some could possibly perceive as racist, and so she's trying to get GBP 1 million? What world is this again?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post

Welcome to the mad mad mad mad world of anal PCism. IMHO Clarkson, Hammond, and May are one of the best comedy teams in the history of the UK. Seriously good entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hour special (twice) myself. The sun warmed rain was hilarious, even if it was staged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I loved that episode and I love that show just because they're not PC all the time. With that said, I didn't know about the negative connotations of the word slope.
How else would one describe a sloped bridge? I think to an Asian saying slanted would be even worse. In both cases it's idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I searched it and it started during the Viet Nam war. It means Silly Little Opium Pushing Easterner. It's a pretty huge leap to say that's what Clarkson meant.

Last edited by surfman; 03-28-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
I watched it. It does come across as a deliberate attempt at a joke. Everything on these shows is scripted and planned. They make the joke then go to commercial.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Its a good thing that the Brits were able to get Benny Hill, Monty Python and Fawlty Towers on tape as we are unlikely to see their likes again. Too bad for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies