Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You leeches should take a basic economics course.
I guess Milton Friedman and Hayek should have taken an economics course

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I said it before, and I'll say it again:
I am all for it!
Send my wife and I EACH a check for $3000 every month, and I will gladly forego my military retirement and Social Security checks.
My wife will gladly quit her job, which would give somebody else a job. We will sell our house, which could possibly get a homeless family off the street.
We will sell all our excess "stuff", or possibly give it to a thrift store, further helping the poor and disabled.
Then we will hit the road in an RV, making contributions to the economy all over the West (sorry, we will NOT go East of the "big River"!)
Oh, come to think of it, I will want a minimum COLA* of 5% per year, and the BLS** should be tax-free.
Now, will you people please hurry up and make this law? I may not have many years left to enjoy it, and I want as much of the "Gravy Train" as I can get!
If yer gonna DREAM, ya might as well dream BIG!

*COLA; cost Of Living Allowance
**BLS; Basic Living Stipend
Hey, you could do that if you want. You just will have to find another means of income to match your $3000 budget. Because BI won't be enough for you to meet the expenses you listed above. If you sell your house, so be it. I'm sure someone who has no interest in Rving would more than likely take your old position.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The problem with this plan is that it would encourage lower wage people to quit their jobs. But you say they wouldn't quit because this would just add to their meager income. No. Most low wage jobs suck big time. Most only work these jobs to get by. Just give them a reason to quit.

Then we'll be pushed into letting in guest workers to do these jobs, who will be put on a path to citizenship. And they'll have kids, who will qualify for basic income. It's not a sustainable model.
Again, BI won't be enough for housing, food, and expenses. What low wage earner can afford food and housing? BI would only meet the federal poverty line.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Again, BI won't be enough for housing, food, and expenses. What low wage earner can afford food and housing? BI would only meet the federal poverty line.
Depends on where you live. Where I live, $1000 a month would EASILY pay for food, housing, and expenses. Easily. So what would be the incentive for some of those people to work and help "put back in to the system"? Heck, if you went with $1500 a month, where I live? I'd be living a very comfortable life on that alone. So what would be MY incentive to keep working? (Except that I'm not a leech, but other than that...what's the incentive?)

Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Depends on where you live. Where I live, $1000 a month would EASILY pay for food, housing, and expenses. Easily. So what would be the incentive for some of those people to work and help "put back in to the system"? Heck, if you went with $1500 a month, where I live? I'd be living a very comfortable life on that alone. So what would be MY incentive to keep working? (Except that I'm not a leech, but other than that...what's the incentive?)
For some people it's human nature to just "settle In" and not do much after awhile. Forgetting that now they've hit their earning ceiling and the longer one is unemployed the harder it is to get hired.
Plus they can always work on the side for cash. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Even better since everyone gets it-theres no longer a reason to not work-you won't lose your income and house if you work.
That doesn't even make any sense, but here are a few questions for you ...
Under this plan my wife would get what $1,000/mo for staying home?
How about if she gets a part time job bringing in say $500/mo ?
I get this same $1,000/mo on top of what I already bring in?

What level do my taxes increase?

How is the funding of this "Minimum income" acquired?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
For some people it's human nature to just "settle In" and not do much after awhile. Forgetting that now they've hit their earning ceiling and the longer one is unemployed the harder it is to get hired.
Plus they can always work on the side for cash. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Yes, people do settle in, that's my point. What is their incentive? I would assume that this Basic Income would go up as costs of things go up, just as people expect minimum wage to keep rising...I mean, in 15 years, that $1000-1500 is not going to be worth squat, so it will go up...and again, where I live, I'm not even kidding, $1500 a month would give a lot of people a very comfortable life. They wouldn't have to do anything at all. They wouldn't even have to worry about being unemployed for long periods of time, they would have everything that they need. So how we would get them all to help everyone else by putting back in to the system?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Yes, people do settle in, that's my point. What is their incentive? I would assume that this Basic Income would go up as costs of things go up, just as people expect minimum wage to keep rising...I mean, in 15 years, that $1000-1500 is not going to be worth squat, so it will go up...and again, where I live, I'm not even kidding, $1500 a month would give a lot of people a very comfortable life. They wouldn't have to do anything at all. They wouldn't even have to worry about being unemployed for long periods of time, they would have everything that they need. So how we would get them all to help everyone else by putting back in to the system?

Why would a couple work at Walmart when combined they can make just as much under the "minimum income" plan?
Does Walmart raise the pay so it is worth it for the couple to work?
Walmart funds this raise in pay HOW ? (rhetorical)

It seems a lot of this stuff hasn't been thought through.

$20 gallon of milk?
$15 gallon of Gasoline?
But everybody gets a $1000 check every month.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Why would a couple work at Walmart when combined they can make just as much under the "minimum income" plan?
Does Walmart raise the pay so it is worth it for the couple to work?
Walmart funds this raise in pay HOW ? (rhetorical)

It seems a lot of this stuff hasn't been thought through.

$20 gallon of milk?
$15 gallon of Gasoline?
But everybody gets a $1000 check every month.
I was getting to that, but first I wanted to know what would be the incentive, as you also stated in the first part of your post. Exactly, there is no incentive, so it wouldn't work.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
How many couples today who're on minimum wage own homea? SMH

Annual income for a couple living off of BI=(1000*12)(2)=24000

That's poverty income

Remember. The average household income in this country is $51000.

With the cost of living, no couple would be satisfied with a $24000 household income. This alone incentivizes people to work.

BI would only allow college students to live comfortably, but once they would have to get out in the real world, $12,000 a year won't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies