Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Sure, but my point was that we have moved away from "insurance" and to "socialized medicine."

Insurance isn't about spreading the cost of basic health care across society. That's what social medicine does. Insurance is about protection against a risk of injury or illness.
Insurance is exactly about spreading the cost. Insurance companies naturally like to collect premiums from as many people as possible and pay claims to as few people as possible. The ACA does crimp their style a bit, but I suspect not fatally.

Insurance over the years has changed from being about coverage for catastrophic medical expenses to coverage for basic care. And that shift occurred decades ago, it has nothing to do with the ACA. When I first got coverage through an employer, I could choose a catastrophic policy. But that option went away a long time ago. (I believe that catastrophic policies were still available on the open market.) Catastrophic policies are a gamble, and are not for everyone, that's why most employers stopped offering them.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-29-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,823,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The insults from the right are getting annoying. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is ignorant, uneducated, has never had HI, etc. Done.
The insults seem to be overwhelmingly coming from the libs!

Either that or they keep skipping over posts they don't care for (usually logical posts) and rehash the same old, same old talking points.

I'd say (at least mine) was a futile attempt to enlighten the left as to why the Government .. Has No Right to force anyone to pay for your birth control.

I don't give a d@mn if you want to have sex out of wed-lock or are too 'poor' to have a child.

Your decision, like any other decisions that you make may have consequences, consequences which the 'Poor' or Morally challenged should have to deal with once they've made the decision!

I don't give a d@mn that liberals continue with the .. "Well the government does so and so .. so why not do this and that too"?

Or .. "If you don't allow birth control to be paid by the taxpayer then, the taxpayer will either pay to raise the kid or .. pay for a more expensive abortion"!

THAT, right there is the problem!

The government should never have gotten into the baby raising or abortion business in the first place!

Your choice, your problem .. not ours!

Oh and .. (responding to your sign off) .. BYE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies