Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What is "Southern Heritage" and "Southern Culture?" Because i've yet to see what this distinction is. What "southern traditions" are you talking about? What tradition do they have in the south that other parts of the nation don't have because again, i can't figure it out.

Explain please.
They are probably talking about the dialects, cuisine (cornbread, cajun, iced tea, soul food), music (gospel, country, r&b).

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
What is "Southern Heritage" and "Southern Culture?" Because i've yet to see what this distinction is. What "southern traditions" are you talking about? What tradition do they have in the south that other parts of the nation don't have because again, i can't figure it out.

Explain please.
That is a vary good question to ask in the debate.
When you scratch the surface, Southern Heritage, as it is perceived today, is composed of the first 7 chapters of "Gone With The Wind" and the "Mandingo" series of pulps. In reality, It was almost feudal in nature, with very few, controlling large land masses, full of very poor whites and black slaves. Inbreeding was very popular, due to the fact of the one drop rule and the disproportionate small ratio of pure white blood to black or mixed. But nobody talks about that.

After all is said and done, the facts of this thread are that.....A.......Flying the confederate flag is protected by the constitution. Just like flying any other flag or walking up to someone and calling them a ******.
But the first amendment is subject to "Reasonable restrictions" and the purpose of schools is to teach.
School administrators have the right to place restrictions to the exercise of free speech if it interferes with the learning process. Every court in the land, over time, has upheld restrictions placed by administrators on student conduct, appearance and politicizing.

Somewhere back on page two or three, someone said(Harrier, I think) 'the real solution was to suspend the student's parking pass rather than the student'. That would have been the best solution, IMO. He's Obviously an ignorant racist looking for attention.
IMO, the confederate flag represents traitors to the union and an economy based on oppressive slavery. No different than the Skull and Crossbones represents thieves and murderers who live on the water rather than down the block from you. People often use symbolism without knowing what it actually represents and are the greater fools for it.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They are probably talking about the dialects, cuisine (cornbread, cajun, iced tea, soul food), music (gospel, country, r&b).
Probably. But the South has a gazillion dialects. The cuisine is really only distinct in Louisiana, and the music you listed is hardly "southern" at this point. In fact, I'm not so sure that country has mostly southern roots.

Yes, gospel and R&B have southern roots, but the average southerner couldn't pick Sam Cooke or James Cleveland out of a line up.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That is a vary good question to ask in the debate.
When you scratch the surface, Southern Heritage, as it is perceived today, is composed of the first 7 chapters of "Gone With The Wind" and the "Mandingo" series of pulps. In reality, It was almost feudal in nature, with very few, controlling large land masses, full of very poor whites and black slaves. Inbreeding was very popular, due to the fact of the one drop rule and the disproportionate small ratio of pure white blood to black or mixed. But nobody talks about that.

After all is said and done, the facts of this thread are that.....A.......Flying the confederate flag is protected by the constitution. Just like flying any other flag or walking up to someone and calling them a ******.
But the first amendment is subject to "Reasonable restrictions" and the purpose of schools is to teach.
School administrators have the right to place restrictions to the exercise of free speech if it interferes with the learning process. Every court in the land, over time, has upheld restrictions placed by administrators on student conduct, appearance and politicizing.

Somewhere back on page two or three, someone said(Harrier, I think) 'the real solution was to suspend the student's parking pass rather than the student'. That would have been the best solution, IMO. He's Obviously an ignorant racist looking for attention.
IMO, the confederate flag represents traitors to the union and an economy based on oppressive slavery. No different than the Skull and Crossbones represents thieves and murderers who live on the water rather than down the block from you. People often use symbolism without knowing what it actually represents and are the greater fools for it.
Your first paragraph was great. Lol

In any event, I don't believe there is any such thing as a modern day "southern culture" and the term "southern heritage" is meaningless.

I'm from Arizona...But if I move to Georgia and have children that are born there, do they have "southern heritage?" Of course not! The whole thing makes no sense. A modern day southerner inherits some sort of legacy or heritage because he or she lives in a state that seceeded from the Union?

That's preposterous. Makes not a lick of sense. That would be like me claiming to have some link to the Buffalo Soldiers and the Indian Wars just because I come from Arizona. It's asinine.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
This is stupid. The student was within his right to fly the flag... no matter how unpatriotic it is.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:

Explain please.
I hesitate to define it, because there are always exceptions and to some extent it's a stereo-type, even if they voluntarily adopt it. Anyway:

Southerners have a strong protestant evangelical background. The culture is typically celebrates a rural lifestyle that emphasis simplicity and a slower pace. Hunting, fishing, sports are common. It is typically socially very conservative and emphasis strong family bonds. It also includes their history and traditions, which become evident if you go to places like Savanna or Charleston.

If one can accept that New York City has a culture, then the southern culture is almost exactly the opposite of that.

Of course that is an exaggeration and a stereo-type, but the nature of the question called for it. Not everyone in the south identifies with the souther culture, but I don't think the most people deny it exists.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
People often use symbolism without knowing what it actually represents and are the greater fools for it.
Why do non-Southerners get to define what Southern symbols mean?

The United States flag also flew over a nation of slaves. Can we reduce the U.S. flag to a symbol of slavery and nothing more?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Probably. But the South has a gazillion dialects. The cuisine is really only distinct in Louisiana, and the music you listed is hardly "southern" at this point. In fact, I'm not so sure that country has mostly southern roots.

Yes, gospel and R&B have southern roots, but the average southerner couldn't pick Sam Cooke or James Cleveland out of a line up.
I honestly think a lot of people fly the flag to represent being a "Redneck" because up north I seen plenty of stereotypical redneck looking people with confederate flag decals on their truck.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Why do non-Southerners get to define what Southern symbols mean?

The United States flag also flew over a nation of slaves. Can we reduce the U.S. flag to a symbol of slavery and nothing more?
It was defined by Southerners. Not Northerners. It's only now that some new Southerners are crapping on their ancestors by changing the meaning. Northerners will not accept this unpatriotic injustice. Pre-Civil War southerners were just as American as the current generation of Americans. This insult that some southerners want to deliver by changing the meaning of the flag is offensive to all Americans.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
People from the North often think people from the South don't have the right to be proud of their heritage. If you are proud of being Southern, to them that means you are racist, because the entirety of Southern culture is racism according to those people. It begins and ends there.
Um, wrong.

You have every right to be proud of the heritage of whatever region you are from, whether it's New England, the west, the south, etc.

If your ancestors are German you have the right to be proud of your German heritage.

You have the constitutional right to celebrate your pride in your German heritage by flying the flag of the regime that was dedicated to a murderous program of imperialism and genocide, but don't complain if people draw the logical conclusion that you support the values and ideas of that regime.

Precisely the same is true if you celebrate your pride in your southern heritage by flying the flag of the regime that was created and dedicated solely to the value of preserving human slavery.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, don't bother asking me for evidence. I sincerely believe that everyone who claims not to know or not to believe that the Confederacy was founded to preserve slavery is lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies