Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The First Amendment is not absolute in a public school, nor should it be.

Maybe private institutions, but public is Government and the 1st amendment restricts government from stifling free speech and the practice of religion.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The confederate flag is a symbolism of southern pride....but pride for what...racism?
It does not matter. It's a free speech issue. Free speech is not just free if it expresses thoughts that you agree with. As somebody said, "we don't need the First Amendment to allow us to talk about the weather".

Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The First Amendment is not absolute in a public school, nor should it be.
So when should the first amendment be suspended?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So when should the first amendment be suspended?
I'll tell you what. Say you're a student in a K-12 public school. You're white and your teacher's black. Now go up and call your teacher (or another student) the N-word.

Do that and get back to me about the absolutism of the 1st Amendment in a public school.

A school must maintain a semblance of order and discipline among the students. How far they should go to that end is debatable. But one thing I would hope isn't debatable, is that while in a public school, you don't have the same 1st Amendment rights as if you were in the public square as a part of Klan or Neo-Nazi rally.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The first amendment is not in place to discuss the weather. It is their for very controversial things.
Fairly suspended means it is not a right, it is a privilege that can be taken and you punished for displaying a flag.
The first amendment is never a privilege to be controlled.
If you read my post, it was not about the first amendment. The first amendment does not provide a student the right to disrupt education.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what. Say you're a student in a K-12 public school. You're white and your teacher's black. Now go up and call your teacher (or another student) the N-word.

Do that and get back to me about the absolutism of the 1st Amendment in a public school.

A school must maintain a semblance of order and discipline among the students. How far they should go to that end is debatable. But one thing I would hope isn't debatable, is that while in a public school, you don't have the same 1st Amendment rights as if you were in the public square as a part of Klan or Neo-Nazi rally.
And you don't have the same first amendment rights at an Obama rally, right?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
A school must maintain a semblance of order and discipline among the students.
True. But does that need to apply to their cars? I think not.

If a school is anti Obama, should they be allowed to ban Obama stickers on the kids cars?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you read my post, it was not about the first amendment. The first amendment does not provide a student the right to disrupt education.
Flags and stickers on your car does not disrupt education. It's in the parking lot.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And you don't have the same first amendment rights at an Obama rally, right?
lol

Are you conceding the point?

The fact is, you can't say in school what you might get away with saying out in public. Being at school, for the student, is much more like being at a job than being out in the public square. It's that simple.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:

Agreed with you on most things in your post. Way too much bad stuff can start in regular schools but hassling a kid for a Stars and Bars sticker on his vehicle is going too FAR IMHO. Even a swastika can be sticky to ban despite it being hijacked by the neo Nazi kind if the kid having 1 on his car is from India where it's a sacred symbol, like the cross is to Christians or the 6 point star to Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies