Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 10:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
What's with you fascists always wanting to ban things? You can't ban something just because you don't like it.
How is banning a sign of racism (the confederate flag) on school property fascist? At the high school I went to you couldn't wear all one color, you couldn't wear hats, Raiders gear was off limits, LA Kings gear was off limits, and you had to wear PE attire exclusively sold by the school. Was that fascist as well? You right wingers are always reinventing the meaning of "fascism" on the fly to suit your agenda...

Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How is banning a sign of racism (the confederate flag) on school property fascist? At the high school I went to you couldn't wear all one color, you couldn't wear hats, Raiders gear was off limits, LA Kings gear was off limits, and you had to wear PE attire exclusively sold by the school. Was that fascist as well? You right wingers are always reinventing the meaning of "fascism" on the fly to suit your agenda...
The post I was replying to did not say it should be banned on school grounds, it just said that it should be banned in general. At least that's what it sounded like from the context of the post.

I have no opinion on the school banning it on school grounds. I would need to have more information and would need to put more thought into it before making a decision. I don't immediately rush into judgements about things like this, and thankfully, neither do the courts.

Furthermore, I am not a "right winger."

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 03-30-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
The post I was replying to did not say it should be banned on school grounds, it just said that it should be banned in general. At least that's what it sounded like from the context of the post.

I have no opinion on the school banning it on school grounds. Furthermore, I am not a "right winger."
If your response to banning the confederate flag is to call someone else fascist, you are a right winger. If you believe so or not. Further more this thread isn't about banning the confederate flag in the US, it's about what happened when an idiot wouldn't remove the idiotic symbol on school grounds when instructed to... The poster you replied to mentioned, "it should be banned" and "He should've been expelled". They implicitly inferred their opposition to this "vile, barbaric, primitive, repulsive culture that was/is Dixie" being expressed on school grounds! I'm not sure what would make you develop a conclusion so far off on a statement that is clear as day...

That said, everything LexusNexus mentioned in her post is correct... The confederate flag is a symbol of racism, a symbol of putting states rights before civil/human rights, a symbol of treachery, and a symbol of someone with an all around low IQ...

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
I think there is a difference between wearing a sports cap in class and having a political/historical symbol on your personal vehicle.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
He should have disguised it as a Che or Black Panther flag - nobody would have said a word.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Irony of you posting that pic, not knowing a single thing about the picture is hilarious.

Please Google "Yeezus", the song titles alone will show you the flaw in your post.
How were you able to ascertain someone's knowledge of a picture in the absence any accompanying commentary whatsoever?

How are you able to find "flaws" in a post that consists solely of a picture?

I posted that picture for comedic value because I think it's hilarious, but yet here you are making ignorant assumptions.

I'm well aware of Kanye's supposed reasoning for using the confederate flag. Maybe the NJ teen should tell the school he's co-opting it to remove the negative connotation and all will be ok.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think there is a difference between wearing a sports cap in class and having a political/historical symbol on your personal vehicle.
Yes, there is a big difference. A sports team never fought to keep slavery nor tried to leave the union which caused the deaths of hundreds of thousand of Americans... I'm glad you recognize this...

Old 03-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
He should have disguised it as a Che or Black Panther flag - nobody would have said a word.
Where is your link to prove this? Do you have at least one example? It seems that whenever a right winger rebuttals they always reply with a "what if" argument... There are specific reasons why debates revolving around civil rights issues are rarely won by conservatives...

Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
If your response to banning the confederate flag is to call someone else fascist, you are a right winger.
No, that makes me a proponent of the 1st amendment. To assume anything beyond that is pure unsubstantiated conjecture. It's very telling, however, that your response someone being a proponent of the first amendment is to label them a right winger in pejorative fashion. Many of your fellow liberals, as well as independents, centrists, libertarians, and others would no doubt take exception to the insinuation that only those on the right support the first amendment.

I support people's right to burn the American flag as well, does that make me a terrorist? Supporting someone's right to say something is not the same thing as agreeing with what they're saying. I'm not sure what you're understanding here.

Quote:
The poster you replied to mentioned, "it should be banned" and "He should've been expelled". They implicitly inferred their opposition to this "vile, barbaric, primitive, repulsive culture that was/is Dixie" being expressed on school grounds! I'm not sure what would make you develop a conclusion so far off on a statement that is clear as day...
"He should've been expelled" is a separate thought in a separate paragraph. Nice try.

Here's the full text of that paragraph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The Confederate flag is one of the most repulsive symbols of unspeakable ignorance. It represents a vile, barbaric, primitive, repulsive culture that was/is Dixie. It is highly offensive and promotes racial discrimination against black people. It is a reminder of this country's greatest shame, and it should be banned.
There is absolutely no allusion whatsoever in that paragraph to school grounds. There is only background information about the confederate flag follow by the unqualified statement "it should be banned." It doesn't say "it should be banned on school grounds." It says "it should be banned."

To argue that it is "clear as day" that that statement refers to being banned on school grounds, when no such qualifier is used anywhere in the paragraph, is completely dishonest.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Where is your link to prove this? Do you have at least one example? It seems that whenever a right winger rebuttals they always reply with a "what if" argument... There are specific reasons why debates revolving around civil rights issues are rarely won by conservatives...
Chicago Teachers Union Strike: Che Shirts, Anarchists Flags and Students as Props
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies