Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 AM

542 posts, read 689,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Christian School Bans Tomboy for 'Direction She's Heading' - ABC News

The lunacy of the Christian fundies knows no bounds. Timberlake Christian School told the grandparents of an 8-year old girl she would not be welcome back because she has short hair, prefers wearing pants, likes baseball cards, and her BB gun. According to the school, she could only return only if "her dress and behavior ... follow suit with her God-ordained identity." No transgender or gay issues here, she knows she is a girl and what that means. When discussing sexuality with a doctor, the grandmother was told she shouldn't worry about that until puberty, to which a school employee told her to find a "Christian doctor".
I would like to know, that if short hair is considered masculine and long hair feminine, why does Jesus get to wear long hair? Surely if he can wear long hair and dress-like robes, a young girl who cut her hair off to donate to a cancer patient can keep it short and wear jeans.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I would like to know, that if short hair is considered masculine and long hair feminine, why does Jesus get to wear long hair? Surely if he can wear long hair and dress-like robes, a young girl who cut her hair off to donate to a cancer patient can keep it short and wear jeans.
Please refer me to where in the Bible Jesus is described as having long hair.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,670,902 times
Jesus almost assuredly had payot.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 AM

603 posts, read 874,547 times
When I clicked on the link I was confused, that little girl did look like a boy.
But in all seriousness, I think at that age kids are going to be kids. I remember tomboy girls who got out of that phase as they grew older. Maybe it would have been more effective for school administrators to have a discussion with the parent/guardian unit about the fact that students and faculty are having trouble distinguishing her gender. That is a valid concern that is more respectful and would have maintained the credibility of the institution.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,841,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Plus sometimes what a parent is told and what they hear and/or choose to focus on are very different
So let's give the school ALL the benefit of the doubt shall we. They can do no wrong!

Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 AM

13,819 posts, read 5,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If their dress code does not prohibit it, then the school has no case, ambiguity sides with the person who didnt write the contract, or in this case dress code.
My point was that the school doesn't need to make a case. Nobody has the right to attend that school, but that school has the right to associate with whom it wishes and to freely practice their religion. Have you seen the student code of conduct from that school? The enrollment contract? Do any of us know all of the facts of the case, or just the one's coming from disgruntled grandma of junior tomboy?

In today's world of the Litigious States of America, and owing to how much the government and trial lawyers hate Christianity in any form, I am pretty sure this school acted according to something written down and signed. In fact, I am about 99.99% sure of it.

And Lil Butch can go to public school or a secular private school if she wants.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
My point was that the school doesn't need to make a case. Nobody has the right to attend that school, but that school has the right to associate with whom it wishes and to freely practice their religion. Have you seen the student code of conduct from that school? The enrollment contract? Do any of us know all of the facts of the case, or just the one's coming from disgruntled grandma of junior tomboy?
Its all on their website:

Timberlake Christian Schools admit students of any race, color or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students of the Schools. The Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of their educational or admissions policies, hiring, or their scholarship, loan, or other schools-administered programs. This statement of nondiscrimination shall appear in all of the schools’ promotional literature.
Timberlake Christian Schools is a religious, Bible-believing institution providing education in a distinct Christian environment, and it believes that its biblical role is to work in conjunction with the home to mold students to be Christ like. On those occasions in which the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home is counter to or in opposition to the biblical lifestyle that the school teaches, the school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or to discontinue enrollment of a student. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, living in, condoning or supporting sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school (Leviticus 20:13a; Romans 1:21-27; Matthew 19:4-6; I Corinthians 6:9-20).

Note that the school reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to make judgment calls with or without evidence and kick out students on a whim if they suspect their lifestyle "is immoral".

I'll agree on one thing - this girl will be better off in a public school. ALL the students of this quack institution will be better off in a public school.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 AM

13,819 posts, read 5,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Its all on their website:

Timberlake Christian Schools admit students of any race, color or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students of the Schools. The Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of their educational or admissions policies, hiring, or their scholarship, loan, or other schools-administered programs. This statement of nondiscrimination shall appear in all of the schools’ promotional literature.
Timberlake Christian Schools is a religious, Bible-believing institution providing education in a distinct Christian environment, and it believes that its biblical role is to work in conjunction with the home to mold students to be Christ like. On those occasions in which the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home is counter to or in opposition to the biblical lifestyle that the school teaches, the school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or to discontinue enrollment of a student. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, living in, condoning or supporting sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school (Leviticus 20:13a; Romans 1:21-27; Matthew 19:4-6; I Corinthians 6:9-20).

Note that the school reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to make judgment calls with or without evidence and kick out students on a whim if they suspect their lifestyle "is immoral".
And there you have it. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

/topic

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And there you have it. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

/topic
Sounds very arbitrary to me. Its all based on innuendo.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,322,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Christian School Bans Tomboy for 'Direction She's Heading' - ABC News

The lunacy of the Christian fundies knows no bounds. Timberlake Christian School told the grandparents of an 8-year old girl she would not be welcome back because she has short hair, prefers wearing pants, likes baseball cards, and her BB gun. According to the school, she could only return only if "her dress and behavior ... follow suit with her God-ordained identity." No transgender or gay issues here, she knows she is a girl and what that means. When discussing sexuality with a doctor, the grandmother was told she shouldn't worry about that until puberty, to which a school employee told her to find a "Christian doctor".
Private schools set their own admission standards. If parents/guardians do not like them, then they find another school, which is exactly what this little girl's grandparents did. The winner in this story is definitely the little girl, who will now get an education, rather than an indoctrination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies