Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I speak French (fluently, since I started learning it in first grade), Russian, Dutch, German, and Spanish. I suppose I throw off the average a bit.

Incidentally, although I can converse reasonably well in Spanish, I almost never use it -- even though I'm in San Francisco (which, according to nativist propaganda, is overrun by scary foreign people because of its "sanctuary city" status). It just so happens that I don't interact with monolingual Spanish-speakers on anything resembling a regular basis.
My, my just when you thought you heard all the terms to demonize those of us who oppose illegal immigration and those who want to play the sympathy card for them a new one pops up...."scary foreign people" when we are actually talking about illegal aliens. So you're ok with American cities aiding and abetting them aka sanctuary cities? Being opposed to illegal immigration while embracing legal immigration is to be a nativist? Really? Bet there are a lot of Mexicans that are mono-lingual Spanish speakers in their own country and those who jump our borders. No complaints about that though, right? If I were to plan to move to a foreign country the first thing I would do is learn their language but since I'm not.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
People in Europe grow up learning English as their second language since early grade school. It's only in this country where so many people think if we do that, then we cease being an English speaking nation last time I checked, German was still spoken widely in Germany, Norwegian in Norway, and Swedish in Sweden. There is only ONE country, and one subdivision of a country, in this entire world, where its native language was almost entirely eradicated and replaced with another within the past 100 odd years. Can you guess which those are? So, I think it's justified to say that, you have an irrational Hispanophobia.
You tell me what other country in the world has allowed millions to invade their country illegally from the same culture/linguistic group. Your analogy is a big fail.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I didn't say "official". I said national de facto. Even congress declared English as our "national" language already when debate came up about making it "official" but the PC crowd in congress didn't want it to be "official".
Why does the US need an "official" language anyway?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...."scary foreign people" when we are actually talking about illegal aliens. .....
Aliens (illegal or not) are indeed "foreign people," and you are clearly scared of them.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The sky actually isn't blue, our eyes just perceive it that way.

What does the color of the sky have to do with the topic under discussion.
If you didn't get it then I can't help you but let me put it to you in simple terms. When you have an illegal invasion by the millions from the same linguistic/cultural group they don't assimilate they colonize instead and compete for dominance against the host country and it's identifying culture and language. So yes, massive illegal immigration from south of our border IS the reason for increased usage of Spanish here. There is no other way to explain it unless you are admitting that even Hispanic citizens are refusing to fully assimilate. There is something very sinister about those who would deny the obvious and I'm sure secretly applauding it.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM

32,063 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
should kids start learning a foreign language in grade school instead of HS? Language is absorbed the most rapidly in the formative years (1-5), but post-formative children are still able to learn a second language at a much faster rate than teenagers. Should it be required for children to spend say 20 minutes a day starting in 1st grade until middle school? It makes since when you think that in that amount of time most kids would be more proficient in a second language, than they would after the 1-2 years of foreign language that is required for most college degrees.

opinions?

I think it should be an elective, not mandatory. I don't think it should be in schools at all though. If you want kids to learn another language then it should be up to the parents to do that.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 PM

268 posts, read 241,165 times
Quote:
Is it raciest now for a country to have a official language? Why aren't you giving Mexico, Canada, or all the other American countries a hard time?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Aliens (illegal or not) are indeed "foreign people," and you are clearly scared of them.
Scared isn't the word it is objection to illegal aliens in our midst not foreign people here legally.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
Is it raciest now for a country to have a official language? Why aren't you giving Mexico, Canada, or all the other American countries a hard time?
Because that's what hypocrites do. These same people who don't want English as our official language have a hidden agenda. English more than any other language has been a part of our identifying culture and heritage. They just can't stand that. The huge majority of Americans speak it. It should take its rightful place as "official".

Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Quote:
Some people fear what they don't know and fear losing what they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies