Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Latin is lineal; Classic Greek is multi-dimensional.

The founders could not have written the Constitution in English without help from both.

Classic Greek is reason and commerce. (Very libertarian)

Latin, is reason applied to force, to enact Government Commerce.
I would be in favor of bringing the classic languages back --- when Americans were at the top of the world was when those were taught in schools.

Texas has already eliminated Algebra II as a graduation requirement because the bilingual graduation rate is being hurt by having too much math.

Last edited by malamute; 04-19-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
should kids start learning a foreign language in grade school instead of HS? Language is absorbed the most rapidly in the formative years (1-5), but post-formative children are still able to learn a second language at a much faster rate than teenagers. Should it be required for children to spend say 20 minutes a day starting in 1st grade until middle school? It makes since when you think that in that amount of time most kids would be more proficient in a second language, than they would after the 1-2 years of foreign language that is required for most college degrees.

opinions?
They desperately need to learn 'legalese'. Lawyer speak is the secret coded language that keps us at the mercy of a special class of rulers that befudle, mislead, interpret, appeal and reverse laws.

No one can even understand the full implication of the legal release they sign in the dentists office.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:51 AM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually there is no evidence of that --- bilingual students here are performing terribly on standardized tests, math and science scores are rock bottom. They have the highest drop out rates of all groups.
i think there is a difference between bilingual student who achieve full proficiency in english and those who do not.

and so spanish speaking students sometimes end up equally poor in english and spanish (for example) in terms of speech, writing, reading. but we're talking about native speakers of english learning foreign languages early on.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWILLY View Post
i think there is a difference between bilingual student who achieve full proficiency in english and those who do not.

and so spanish speaking students sometimes end up equally poor in english and spanish (for example) in terms of speech, writing, reading. but we're talking about native speakers of english learning foreign languages early on.
I had one of my sons in dual language from 1st through 6th grade. It was a mistake, it took him almost until 12th grade to make up for the lack of math. He probably understands some Spanish but he nor his classmates ever speak it.

I'm fully convinced it was a big mistake and I should not have done that to him, he would have been better off in English speaking classrooms where more math was actually taught. Essentially he went to school 1/2 day throughout elementary school.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
People who study foreign languages outside the U.S., actually pick it up.

I think only wealthy private schools in the U.S. can effectively teach foreign languages.

I'd get an educated foreign nanny with kids my kids' age to care for and teach my kids.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 04-19-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 12:16 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I had one of my sons in dual language from 1st through 6th grade. It was a mistake, it took him almost until 12th grade to make up for the lack of math. He probably understands some Spanish but he nor his classmates ever speak it.

I'm fully convinced it was a big mistake and I should not have done that to him, he would have been better off in English speaking classrooms where more math was actually taught. Essentially he went to school 1/2 day throughout elementary school.
we have terrible schools across the board. in europe people learn two languages (and they can actually speak them) besides their mother tongue by the time they finish high school. and those two languages do not impede acquisition of math and science.

it's astonishing how badly we teach languages in this country too.

edit: now that i re-read i see you mean dual language immersion. i don't know enough about that to comment!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:10 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

I think only wealthy private schools in the U.S. can effectively teach foreign languages.

I'd get an educated foreign nanny with kids my kids' age to care for and teach my kids.
I was fluent in Spanish upon high school graduation thanks to block scheduling. I had Spanish for 90 minutes for almost every semester of high school and still had time to take electives, 4 years of math, science, social studies, and English, and even an additional 2 years of French. Unfortunately, my high school has since done away with block scheduling. It was a huge boon for language and math students who wanted to get more than 1 course of their subject in a year.

Had we started learning foreign languages earlier than 7th grade - and even then, Spanish 1 was ridiculously split into two years - I'd say far more students could have walked out fluent.

Now, I will admit my comprehension wasn't spot on until I lived in Mexico because much of the academic Spanish that I learned was taught by people using Castellano or Colombian accents and vernacular as compared to the more useful Mexican, Central American, and Caribbean Spanish. That said, it was still passable and even if I had to ask people to slow down, I was understood easily.

Public school in exurban Georgia - while I'll admit the area was middle to high income, I was not. Hard work and dedication, with a sprinkling of inspirational teachers, is what did it.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Mandarin will be good to learn.
How about Cantonese?

It would even play(not football) in Ohio.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
They desperately need to learn 'legalese'. Lawyer speak is the secret coded language that keps us at the mercy of a special class of rulers that befudle, mislead, interpret, appeal and reverse laws.

No one can even understand the full implication of the legal release they sign in the dentists office.
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:

And that's just it -- if you want to really learn a foreign language, take just one or two semesters of it and then go to the country where that language is spoken and avoid all speakers of your own language. You'll be fluent enough in just 3 months to get around and understand it actually spoken in daily use and make yourself understood.

My niece took 4 years of Spanish in high school and 2 years of it in college and had straight As, I took her to Mexico and she could not understand much at all, nor could she make herself very well understood. She said people don't speak it the way she learned it.

You really don't need years and years sitting in a classroom to learn a language. You can learn it the immersion way as an adult in just a few months -- and you won't have the accent problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies