Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not sure what your response even had to do with this thread...
To me the only real hunters in the world are the ones who are willing to risk their own lives. Shooting an animal in the woods is not hunting, even though their fantasy makes it so.

Bear hunting with a bow and arrow I think qualifies you. The Indians used to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Shooting in the wild is not as easy as someone sitting at a keyboard might think.

The animal is moving and not just in a straight line.

The goal is to get a kill shot.....not just hitting it anywhere.....that takes skill....and by the way it is NOTHING like target practice. Many time you shoot though trees and brush.

And BTW......some do fight back.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
To me the only real hunters in the world are the ones who are willing to risk their own lives. Shooting an animal in the woods is not hunting, even though their fantasy makes it so.
Why is it a fantasy?

"Real Hunters", spoken from true non hunter...thanks for playing.

Quote:
Bear hunting with a bow and arrow I think qualifies you. The Indians used to do it.
They also used guns....

Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

There is where to prove how little you know.

The bows today have high powered scopes....and deadly power....especially cross bows.

If I were the prey I would rather go up against a gun any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOohcn3bhmE

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
In the instance of the wind switching...you will never see anything....they can smell you far further than you can see them....

Aaah god! A memory lane moment there. While hunting in the northern woods/mountain ranges of British Columbia in the early 60's, the only weapon I could afford then was a surplus Lee Enfield .303 with the later military flip up peep sight. Being in the RCN at the time I had access to all the ammo I needed but had to fiddle with the full copper jacketed stuff to make it work for hunting.

Upshot was, the effective range was very short so I had to get closer.

Hunting in the Liard River area with it's peaks and valleys with changing wind direction would have me climbing one side of a valley only to have the wind shift and have to reverse my plan to spend an hour or two climbing down and up the other side to keep the wind in my face. A few days of that to bag one animal was the stuff of Jeremiah Johnson stories.

The sport of hunting when practiced at it's purest is not just going out to your stand with a thermos of hot coffee and waiting for something to walk into your sights. Stalking your chosen prey can take days or even weeks of returning to an area where you've tracked it before and resuming where you left off.

Big cats are especially difficult to go after as they can crouch into a ledge hide and remain absolutely still for hours at a time. I've actually walked a ledge line below another ledge about 60' above me where a Bobcat unbeknownst to me, was watching every move I made until a big jack-rabbit more to his liking (size) lured him out and down the ledge I'd just walked up. That little event drove home the need to carry a partial roll of T/P in my rucksack.

Sport hunting as opposed to sustenance hunting (we surely aren't going to debate the requirement for some to hunt for food, are we?) if done maintaining it's origins is all about the challenge of getting near your prey and not about the actual bag.

We only got to be at the top of the food chain by being better at it. Some of the revulsion to hunting as displayed on here would lead one to believe those folks have no idea how evolution works and left to their decisions we'd still be living in caves, afraid to venture forth to pick the low hanging fruit. One wonders why they're not picketing Kroger's Meat Markets at the mere idea that contained within is the meat gained from repetitively sending a large nail into a cow/steer's brain pan with a shot of compressed air.

The idea that billions upon billions of those animals have been summarily dispatched without any challenge to the dispatcher must surely drive them into paroxysms of anguish. If not, then "hypocritical" does not even come close to describing them.

Last edited by BruSan; 04-01-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah god! A memory lane moment there. While hunting int eh northern woods/mountain ranges of British Columbia in the early 60's, the only weapon I could afford then was a surplus Lee Enfield .303 with the later military flip up peep sight. Being in the RCN at the time I had access to all the ammo I needed but had to fiddle with the full copper jacketed stuff to make it work for hunting.

Upshot was, the effective range was very short so I had to get closer.

Hunting in the Liard River area with it's peaks and valleys with changing wind direction would have me climbing one side of a valley only to have the wind shift and have to reverse my plan to spend an hour or two climbing down and up the other side to keep the wind in my face. A few days of that to bag one animal was the stuff of Jeremiah Johnson stories.

The sport of hunting when practiced at it's purest is not just going out to your stand with a thermos of hot coffee and waiting for something to walk into your sights. Stalking your chosen prey can take days or even weeks of returning to an area where you've tracked it before and resuming where you left off.

Big cats are especially difficult to go after as they can crouch into a ledge hide and remain absolutely still for hours at a time. I've actually walked a ledge line below another ledge about 60' above me where a Bobcat unbeknownst to me, was watching every move I made until a big jack-rabbit more to his liking (size) lured him out and down the ledge I'd just walked up. That little event drove home the need to carry a partial roll of T/P in my rucksack.

Sport hunting as opposed to sustenance hunting (we surely aren't going to debate the requirement for some to hunt for food, are we?) if done maintaining it's origins is all about the challenge of getting near your prey and not about the actual bag.

We only got to be at the top of the food chain by being better at it. Some of the revulsion to hunting as displayed on here would lead one to believe those folks have no idea how evolution works and left to their decisions we'd still be living in caves, afraid to venture forth to pick the low hanging fruit. One wonders why they're not picketing Kroger's Meat Markets at the mere idea that contained within is the meat gained from repetitively sending a large nail into a cow/steer's brain pan with a shot of compressed air.

The idea that billions upon billions of those animals have been summarily dispatched without any challenge to the dispatcher must surely drive them into paroxysms of anguish. If not, then "hypocritical" does not even come close to describing them.
Great post!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
I wonder if she made any of these recipes?

Sweet and Sour Lion
1/2 pound lion tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces

1/2 each yellow, red and green bell pepper

2 rings of pineapple, diced

1 garlic clove, minced

oil for frying

Marinate the lion meat in:

1 teaspoon soy sauce

rice wine to cover the meat

1-2 teaspoons of corn starch

Sesame Lion Backstrap
Marinade:

1/4 cup sesame oil

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoon sweet basil

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1 mountain lion loin (backstrap)

1 pound bacon

Marinate meat for 8 hours. Roll backstrap in sesame seeds. Wrap with bacon. Tie off or skewer. Grill over medium to high heat.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Why is it significant enough to headline that a 'female' hunter killed a mountain lion?

To follow that logic, the gender of the cat should appear in the headline, the expectation in that case would be the expansion of that lead to a story relating female vs female or female vs male violence.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Why is it significant enough to headline that a 'female' hunter killed a mountain lion?

To follow that logic, the gender of the cat should appear in the headline, the expectation in that case would be the expansion of that lead to a story relating female vs female or female vs male violence.
In almost every other species inhabiting our planet, the female is the hunter (huntress) of the species. It's purely a human issue with males needing to believe among their superiorities; one is "provider" based. Probably the greatest movie to dipict this in so vivid a contrast to norms was the "March of the Penguins" where the feamales dissappear for days or weeks at a time to get food while leaving Daddy back home with an egg between his knees!

We'd all get along just fine if we didn't relegate roles based on ancient historical traditions but looked instead to demonstrated capabilities.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
And let me guess...your a vegetarian...right...
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies