Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, there goes one less individual in Harrier's mate pool.
Not so fast, Harrier!

'We have two Schrödinger cats which could be alive, dead, or in 101 other states simultaneously', Huber jokes, 'plus, they are entangled in such a way that what happens to one immediately affects the other'.

Read more: Entering the 103rd dimension: Scientists reveal quantum breakthrough | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
I guess I find these kind of pictures a bit...disrespectful but it's not something I get all worked up over. I don't think this woman is a bad person or anything but it's not a photo I would post.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
In Montana, I shoot wolves and coyotes on sight.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The guys around here run coyotes with hounds......the guys and dogs loves it....the coyotes...not so much....

Have you seen any of these???

Watch Meet the Coywolf | Nature | PBS | Nature | PBS

Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The guys around here run coyotes with hounds......the guys and dogs loves it....the coyotes...not so much....

Have you seen any of these???

Watch Meet the Coywolf | Nature | PBS | Nature | PBS
No.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The tools of today are no different than the tools of the last 100 years re hunting.

Scopes have been used since before ww2, the same calibers are still being used. The most common deer cartridge, the 30-30 has been around since the 1800's

You missed my point of hunting being far less of a challenge today because you can CHOOSE to avail yourself of calibers and chambering that give you ballistics far superior to your grandaddy's 30-30 or 306 or even the venerable 308 if you so CHOOSE.

You are not seriously comparing the optics of a vintage scope to a modern Leupold or Zeiss scope with beautiful clarity even at the perimeter, light gathering, illuminated reticles and digital range readout with solution deflection markings are you? You most assuredly are not saying we all trucked off to the mountains with a modern spotting scope and a bean bag in it's case that gave us all a wider field of view with killer magnification to enable you to spot movement of your prey while still thousands of yards away in your "hide".

Those are the conveniences we never had way back before WWII, or for 60 years after for that matter.

Compare what you know of hunting to someone just getting started today and ask youself if they'd go out and purchase a 30-30 as their first rifle OR a 60 year old 'style' scope with a barely visible, simple crosshair.

I never felt the need to scope a 30-30 because the effective range of that cartridge generally mean't open sights were fine for my younger eyes back when....It would not be my primary choice for serious hunting of larger game. Were I to saddle up and take to the high country on an extended hunting sojourn the 30-30 would stay on it's pegs over the fireplace or perhaps in the saddle scabbard as a panic situation multi-shot back-up. Those served a useful purpose back in the day of a weapon needing to be a jack of all trades while a master of none.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You missed my point of hunting being far less of a challenge today because you can CHOOSE to avail yourself of calibers and chambering that give you ballistics far superior to your grandaddy's 30-30 or 306 or even the venerable 308 if you so CHOOSE.

You are not seriously comparing the optics of a vintage scope to a modern Leupold or Zeiss scope with beautiful clarity even at the perimeter, light gathering, illuminated reticles and digital range readout with solution deflection markings are you? You most assuredly are not saying we all trucked off to the mountains with a modern spotting scope and a bean bag in it's case that gave us all a wider field of view with killer magnification to enable you to spot movement of your prey while still thousands of yards away in your "hide".

Those are the conveniences we never had way back before WWII, or for 60 years after for that matter.

Compare what you know of hunting to someone just getting started today and ask youself if they'd go out and purchase a 30-30 as their first rifle OR a 60 year old 'style' scope with a barely visible, simple crosshair.

I never felt the need to scope a 30-30 because the effective range of that cartridge generally mean't open sights were fine for my younger eyes back when....It would not be my primary choice for serious hunting of larger game. Were I to saddle up and take to the high country on an extended hunting sojourn the 30-30 would stay on it's pegs over the fireplace or perhaps in the saddle scabbard as a panic situation multi-shot back-up. Those served a useful purpose back in the day of a weapon needing to be a jack of all trades while a master of none.
Some things make hunting today harder too.

Less available land. There is just plain more homes and large plots divided into small lots.

There are rules....many many rules.

It is very expensive.....we are very luck that my husband can hunt and fish as he likes.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
She said:

“I am very proud of what I had accomplished that day,” Argys told KCNC.

What a stupid woman. That would be like me saying I'm very proud of swatting a fly. Or stepping on a beetle.

Stupid, stupid woman. No content, no brains.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
She said:

“I am very proud of what I had accomplished that day,” Argys told KCNC.

What a stupid woman. That would be like me saying I'm very proud of swatting a fly. Or stepping on a beetle.

Stupid, stupid woman. No content, no brains.
I guess if you had put the time, money and work into swatting that fly that she did on her hunt.....I would applaud you.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Impressive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies