Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

A court half way around the world from Japan ordered it to stop its scientific research studies on marine life today:

Japan Must Halt Whaling Program In Antarctic, Court Says : The Two-Way : NPR

Japan, the most technologically advanced country in the world, was ordered to stop its yearly antarctic research trip after Australia (not even in the top 10) sued Japan in international court:

Most High Tech Countries - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com

The split decision from the court means that Japan can no longer conduct its research. Australia teamed up with animal rights activists who have been trying for years to put an end to Japan's research program. What will this "court" tell another country it cannot do next? No more chimp research in the US? No research on rats? Looks like today is one step forward for the animal rights people and two steps backward for science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
What science?...That so called research is nothing but an excuse to kill whales for their market place...They also slaughter thousands of dolphins every years...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
1. Japan agreed to abide by the decision before it was handed out.
2. Japan signed a treaty saying they would only do scientific studies
3. Thousands of whales killed a year-and no real science performed.

Look at point #1 and #2. you know...where Japan had previously signed a treaty?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
I don't know much about Japan and it's whaling, but I do know that Japan is the second largest contributor to the UN.. Guess that's just a fun fact.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Thought this thread was a joke. Clearly the OP remains confused.

"Freeze!"
"Uh - I didn't kill my wife. I was researching her. Yeah - that's the ticket."

Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What will this "court" tell another country it cannot do next? No more chimp research in the US? No research on rats? Looks like today is one step forward for the animal rights people and two steps backward for science.
That UN court has no jurisdiction inside the United States, nor over any of its vessels.

They can issue pronouncements at us all they want. We'll issue a few back, if we want to waste the bandwidth, and then we'll continue with our business. If they don't like it, so what?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
1. Japan agreed to abide by the decision before it was handed out.
2. Japan signed a treaty saying they would only do scientific studies
3. Thousands of whales killed a year-and no real science performed.

Look at point #1 and #2. you know...where Japan had previously signed a treaty?
Yes, Japan will abide by the ruling. But it is not for the UN to say how a country conducts its research. Too few animals? Too many animals? Do we need an UN auditor in every study telling every country how to conduct research? Japan did release research studies on the whales.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yes, Japan will abide by the ruling. But it is not for the UN to say how a country conducts its research. Too few animals? Too many animals? Do we need an UN auditor in every study telling every country how to conduct research? Japan did release research studies on the whales.
So if I release a study about some endangered species....and release information that their primary food source is down a couple %.....by killing off thousands of them......thats needed research? Oh and im making massive profits selling the carcasses.

And if it werent for those profits...no research would be conducted....

Am I in business, or research?

Please. This is a foolish thing to try and defend. I mean...really foolish. You just make yourself look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies