Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the punishment be, if any?
Good job, doc! (Pat on back) 73 77.66%
Shame on you, doc! (Scolding but no outright punishment) 6 6.38%
Lose your license. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 11 11.70%
Lose your license, except for practicing in servce of gov't (e.g. VA hospitals) 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Can we ever retire, or would we be "forced" to work until we died? Any vacation time, or will we be "forced" to work seven days a week? Who would provide housing and food for us?
State of Emergency. For the greater good. Call it what you will. Your country needs you now. Will you be seditious or will you comply with the needs of the State?

As for the quality of care, you will be very motivated if the prospect of prison or capital punishment looming over your head if you were to f up. That life and death motivation worked well in Central Europe for quite some time after WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Eventually, it will simply mean that our best and brightest will stop going into medicine.

Why put up with the stress, long hours, and decades of education when their skills and sacrifices aren't recognized, appreciated, and rewarded.

We'll still have some doctors, but they won't be the same.
At least IMO this hasn't happened yet.

Comparing my daughter's soon to be graduating medical class, and my own, class of '76.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I respect your opinion, I just think it's myopic and silly . I see it a different way. People I know who've joined our team who used to be practicing physicians prefer the research aspect of medicine, and have candidly told me during various happy hour excursions that they stopped practicing due to the marginalization of private practice and burdensome regulations and lack of good tort reform. Only one has specifically targeted ACA but the theme remains the same.

You can see it as people who are cowards or just "gave up". I just see it as a logical outcome and we love hiring them. Like I said, they are wicked smart and do better than many code monkeys we hire because they bring domain experience with them. Whatever you think, you might be shocked at just how many land on their feet quite nicely after leaving the act of practicing medicine. The schadenfreude in me anticipates how upset it would make some of the bitter class envy folks out there hoping and praying that doctors have no choice but to continue practicing and just how quickly their opinion on this subject shifts from ambivalence to "there ought to be a law".
When did I say any of the bold? I'm just saying, there aren't *that* many jobs out there, in academic medicine, or in anything else that these men and women would be able to do off the bat. Walmart greeter, maybe, but not much else. And what's with this "class envy" shtick you guys are always bandying about? Did I say that? What law did I propose? That said, I work with a group of doctors in a building with a lot of doctors near an academic medicine center, and I haven't heard any of this nonsense. And I can't stand the term "wicked" anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Eventually, it will simply mean that our best and brightest will stop going into medicine.

Why put up with the stress, long hours, and decades of education when their skills and sacrifices aren't recognized, appreciated, and rewarded.

We'll still have some doctors, but they won't be the same.
What Hoonose said.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We can't be "punished" as we, as physicians, have the right to choose to see whoever we want (except in cases of emergencies on call). Slavery is illegal in America........................ for now. This issue has already been evaluated through the Supreme Court.

If we accepted the lower reimbursing plans, we would go broke. This, due to our overhead expenses, is the reality of medicine.

Due to cuts in medicare triggered by Obamacare, we have cut our medicare population from 40% to 5%. The reimbursement for many things we do was cut 50%; prior to the cuts, we were breaking even on medicare.

MANY of the exchange plans have very low reimbursement (thus lower prices) for physicians. For these plans, about the only place a patient could go would be state or county supported entities such as university hospitals or county hospitals. Oddly, many of the products are listing members of our clinic as providers, when in fact we are not, much to the dismay of patients who purchased these plans.
I truly pity your patients. Let me guess --- you went into medicine because you're a healer and want to help people, right?

Hey, maybe you can make enough "cuts" that you only treat healthy, self-satisfied, white, well-off, conservative males---just leave all those icky sickies to cope for themselves.....

Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO...the self-employed has always had a pretty good deal.....they can write 100% of medical off.

I know the money has to come in the pay the policy.....and that is not always easy.
Self employed cannot write off their own insurance premiums.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not all. If your state participates, some Federal monies are new money created via deficit spending.
Really! You don't understand the fact that ANY $'s coming from State, Federal or where ever IS tax money that is paid to government by people who work for a living! Were you sleeping when that fact was taught in your government class?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US has been in debt in all but one year, 1835.

It's all Obama's fault
Sure is...we used to have enough understanding to "refrain" from throwing $'s around like it grew on trees. Obama is the worst of the worst of the worst. He's nuts and very stupid when it comes to understanding the economic basis upon which this country has become the greatest in the world...well, that's among all the rest of his stupidity on everything he touches.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Paying down debt sounds proper at face value. But not necessarily in the best interests of the economy or the Nation. National Debt is unlike personal or business debt. Debt as it relates to a currency issuer is vastly different than for a currency user.

Panic of 1837 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.optimist123.com/optimist/..._down_the.html

Good grief. Your dreaming. All this ridiculous economic crap being taught and expressed today will lead us to destruction. It looks to me where we have reach the point where the teaching of economics in higher education needs to be prohibited as teaching trash and screwing up reality.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Self employed cannot write off their own insurance premiums.
I do it each year.

Look at a schedule "C".

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

line 29

Last edited by Driller1; 04-03-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I truly pity your patients. Let me guess --- you went into medicine because you're a healer and want to help people, right?

Hey, maybe you can make enough "cuts" that you only treat healthy, self-satisfied, white, well-off, conservative males---just leave all those icky sickies to cope for themselves.....
Better yet...let's just get the Federal Government the he!! out of health care. The constitution does not give the Feds the authority to mess in that area, along with many other areas the Feds are not allowed to mess with. Health is a State issue...not a Federal issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies