Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Some people simply do not like seeing others doing well, regardless of whom they are, unfortunately.

Taking race out of the equation, I agree with this 100%. This kind of thinking transcends race.

I understand the cave people that roam this forum, but I have enough understanding of people to know, that the cave dwellers here DO NOT represent whites in real life. Thank god.

I'm sure there are just as many whites that are happy for this kid as there are blacks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Some people simply do not like seeing others doing well, regardless of whom they are, unfortunately.
For example? Which poster said that they don't want this kid to do well?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
For example? Which poster said that they don't want this kid to do well?
Attempts in justifying that this young person's accomplishment is no big deal.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Awesome...children of immigrants often do well, and Africans tend to be very serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The fact is this kid is not the typical Nigerian. Any white kid that got accepted to all eight Ivy league schools would not be typical white kid, either. What percent of caucasian students can make this claim?
The kid is not Nigerian at all. He's Ghanaian. Different country...smh.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Black females are the group that has the highest rate of college enrollment for 18-24 year olds. They just passed Asian women this year.

There are some method issues for that claim, it is still kind of amazing.

At least that's the claim some are making. I haven't looked into it.

Edit: And I'm becoming more suspicious because I can't find the original data source for that claim.
"Most educated" usually refers to college degree attainment, not enrollment.

I googled that claim and the numbers they quote in those articles don't make sense. The highest enrollment rate of any group was ~9% in those articles. The enrollment rates for 18 to 24-year olds are much higher than that.

I did find this from Pew Research. According to them, the enrollment rates for blacks, whites, and Hispanics are very close, but that of Asians is quite a bit higher:

Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Black females are the group that has the highest rate of college enrollment for 18-24 year olds. They just passed Asian women this year.

There are some method issues for that claim, it is still kind of amazing.

At least that's the claim some are making. I haven't looked into it.

Edit: And I'm becoming more suspicious because I can't find the original data source for that claim.
Highest rate or highest number? Blacks outnumber Asians two to one. Also black women tend to get degrees in softer subjects like sociology and education. While Black men are outnumbered by Black women in college they tend to go for tougher subjects. That's why at the top of the black income scale men out earn women.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM

17,415 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Who said that?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since black people are underrepresented at elite universities, I assume those institutions are all happy whenever they get applications from really bright black people where they can give the green light because of the grades, and not because they feel like they need to admit more minority students in order not to appear racist. I assume that is why all 8 said yes...
I read somewhere that in an interview he said his parents have been very supportive and also demanding (similar to Asian parents I suppose; I read about that yesterday when some new PISA rankings were published, where as usual East Asians were by far the best).

I hope that was put in a pc way and doesn't offend anyone
Africans and Caribbeans/West Indians of African descent are OVERREPRESENTED at elite universities.

Evelyn Hsieh: Following Obama, Students Define "Black" on Ivy League Campuses

Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I was asking which poster indicated that they don't want this kid to do well, not how big of a deal someone thought him getting accepted to 8 Ivy League schools is.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Since black people are underrepresented at elite universities, I assume those institutions are all happy whenever they get applications from really bright black people where they can give the green light because of the grades, and not because they feel like they need to admit more minority students in order not to appear racist. I assume that is why all 8 said yes...
I read somewhere that in an interview he said his parents have been very supportive and also demanding (similar to Asian parents I suppose; I read about that yesterday when some new PISA rankings were published, where as usual East Asians were by far the best).

I hope that was put in a pc way and doesn't offend anyone

You on here on a thread about Ivy League schools. Do you really believe the US has elite universities considering this is what you stated on the World Forum about the USA:

Quote:
I don't think it is, it is basically a bankrupt country kept alive by lots of money transfusions from the rest of the world. It produces little the world wants because the quality is usually insufficient, thus the giant trade deficit. The only thing it got left is its military, but that doesn't help much anymore.
Nor does the world care whether there are 1, 2 or 15 superpowers as long as they don't turn into bullies, which is exactly the US' problem since it has lost all its credibility and moral integrity (if it ever had that to begin with, but now everyone knows).
Except for 2 or 3 good TV series and movies per year US cultural exports are crap as well. The times when the US produced good music was 3 or 4 decades ago. I wish the US made something good again, be in culture, or products or whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies