Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Untrue.

Getting into all 8 is a huge feat and absolutely amazing.

But the way the media is reporting that he's some kind of boy whiz kid is getting under my skin.

He's not. His GPA and standardized test scores are in the range of accepted students to those elite universities.

Additionally, his EC's are not outstanding at all.

Is it amazing that he got into all of them? Yes. Are his stats amazing? No.
Actually his stats are amazing. Most people that get into Ivy leagues schools on merit alone like this kid tend to have amazing stats. What you are doing is comparing amazing stats to amazing stats.

What he is doing is pretty good because he is leveraging the offers against each other to get the best offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Untrue.

Getting into all 8 is a huge feat and absolutely amazing.

But the way the media is reporting that he's some kind of boy whiz kid is getting under my skin.

He's not. His GPA and standardized test scores are in the range of accepted students to those elite universities.

Additionally, his EC's are not outstanding at all.

Is it amazing that he got into all of them? Yes. Are his stats amazing? No.
Since he is black, the typical crowd has to crawl out from under their rock to cry affirmative action. If the kid were white, they would be silent even if the qualifications were identical.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 AM

17,420 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
then dont read the story.

and why are his EC's not outstanding?

also he probably got outstanding recs from his teachers.

give the kid credit, wish the kid well, and move on. why you are so bitter about this kid is beyond me, outside of the obvious, which is him being black and being in the news.
Who's bitter?

Good for him. Yay Kwasi!

The lazy reporting of "near perfect SATs" and saying he's a "boy genius" are overblown to say the least.

His EC's are not quite the caliber of admitted top students. There are no leadership positions mentioned. There are no regional, state or national level competitions or awards mentioned. Nothing of the sort - THOSE type of EC's are typical of admitted top students. Was he a National Merit Finalist?

Could they have left out awards and leadership positions in the reporting? Probably - especially with how sloppy the reporting on this has been in general. And if that's the case - he definitely got a raw deal in the media.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Since he is black, the typical crowd has to crawl out from under their rock to cry affirmative action. If the kid were white, they would be silent even if the qualifications were identical.
No, there wouldn't be a story if this kid were white. If a white kid had the exact same qualifications as Kwasi, he would not have been admitted to ALL 8. He may have been admitted to some, but not all 8, thus no story. Kwasi's race and story definitely played a role in his admission.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM

17,420 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Actually his stats are amazing. Most people that get into Ivy leagues schools on merit alone like this kid tend to have amazing stats. What you are doing is comparing amazing stats to amazing stats.

What he is doing is pretty good because he is leveraging the offers against each other to get the best offer.
His stats are not amazing when compared to other Ivy League admits. I've said that all along.

What boggles my mind is why he applied to Princeton EA. And now Yale seems to be his #1 choice. It doesn't make sense ... which leads me to believe he didn't research the schools at all before he applied.

But whatever. It's a good problem to have.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
I want to watch him while he takes the test over.

That's what they used to do with me.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But but but but, I thought America's Ivy League universities practiced 'institutional racism' and didn't like enrolling black kids with black names, only white kids with 'legacies'? I thought the only way black kids could go to school in racist America was via affirmative action and quotas? You mean that's not really true? Schools will in fact accept exceptional students no matter what their background? You mean we've been lied to this whole time? Well damn.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
A 2250 score on the SAT is a typical score of an accepted student in the Ivy League or Top 20 University.

It's a bit on the low side for some schools.
He's inside Harvard's 25th and 75th percentile range for SAT scores. True a 2250 puts you closer to the 25th percentile than 75th but he is in the game.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Who's bitter?

Good for him. Yay Kwasi!

The lazy reporting of "near perfect SATs" and saying he's a "boy genius" are overblown to say the least.

His EC's are not quite the caliber of admitted top students. There are no leadership positions mentioned. There are no regional, state or national level competitions or awards mentioned. Nothing of the sort - THOSE type of EC's are typical of admitted top students. Was he a National Merit Finalist?

Could they have left out awards and leadership positions in the reporting? Probably - especially with how sloppy the reporting on this has been in general. And if that's the case - he definitely got a raw deal in the media.
This was my minor issue with the story. I hate when they make smart Black kids out to be like zoo animals or a curiosity. In the West African community in the USA his story isn't that unusual. It's just that folks don't apply to 8 schools. The elite schools don't like being "safe" schools for students.

In other stories I have read they said he is a band leader. There's a copy of his college essay floating around too.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Obviously, hence the rare feat.
It's not a "feat" though. It's equivalent to throwing up cooked spaghetti to the ceiling and seeing what sticks. Most people don't apply to many schools.

Last edited by EdwardA; 04-02-2014 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies