Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Who cares if gay people serve in the military? As long as they don't let their lifestyle interfere with their duties I don't see the problem. They shouldn't be showering with the straight men though, I'm not homophobic but I wouldn't want a gay man being in a shower room with me. They also should be tested for AIDS regularly if they are sexually active. Don't flip out about it either liberals, it's a known fact that men who practice the gay lifestyle are at far higher risk for diseases, especially AIDS. It's just a medical fact and people with AIDS should not be in the military. It's not safe.
Jeeeze louise, how old are you? Here's your wake up call Mortimer, if you have showered in the military, the school washrooms after basketball, the shower at your firehall, the shower at your golf club, the shower at your communal swimming pool, the shower at your men's club, the shower......etc., etc.. YOU have showered with gays.

At my advanced age I've come to realize that there are some things in life that go beyond laws and political manoeuvering that have existed since the beginning of time. Discovering at a 30 year reunion that a guy I served with was gay. A co-worker I've known and worked alongside came out after having worked alongside a bunch of us for years without broadcasting any of those "overhyped" tells you folks all seem to think they carry like **** on a bull; has taught me something about tolerance.

Your fears about these folks are ill-founded and pointless. fact of the matter is, you co-exist with them, you have co-existed with them without even knowing, and will continue to do so in spite of your irrational fear.

My father, a WWII veteran, put a lot of this into perspective with a comment upon my brother and I questioning him about "homos" in the military. "Boys; we were not about to insert a point of concern or open a can of worms when you needed everyone to perform to their best. If they did so and we survived, the question then became moot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually Obama went to court to oppose the removal of DADT, he only repealed it after a court ordered him to.

Dont let Democrats rewrite history into Obama being some big pro gay advocate, he even opposed gay marriage.

Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed by statute; both houses of Congress passed it and then it was signed into law by President Obama.

House votes to end 'don't ask, don't tell' policy
'Don't ask, don't tell' is repealed by Senate; bill awaits Obama's signing
Obama signs DADT repeal before big, emotional crowd

Your claim that President Obama unilaterally repealed it, and that this was only done by court order, is complete nonsense.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed by statute; both houses of Congress passed it and then it was signed into law by President Obama.

House votes to end 'don't ask, don't tell' policy
'Don't ask, don't tell' is repealed by Senate; bill awaits Obama's signing
Obama signs DADT repeal before big, emotional crowd

Your claim that President Obama unilaterally repealed it, and that this was only done by court order, is complete nonsense.
Bull crap

Appeals court suspends enforcement of 'don't ask, don't tell' policy - CNN.com

Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
^^^

middle-aged mom, it won't make that much of a difference. Even if the GOP retakes the US Senate, they will not have a filibuster-proof supermajority either in the House or the Senate. Obama will still live in the White House until Jan. 2017, still be able to use his "veto pen," and the Governorships and Mayors of major cities will be divided between the two parties.

I think this topic is moot.

It's like debating and arguing if LBJ was correct to push for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Maybe this should be put in the "History" forum.
I agree. I trend as non partisan as it gets.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sounds like this is your problem. Wear some boxers to the shower if you are insecure with yourself or your comrades.

People with AIDS are probably too sick to undertake the physical necessaries of the military, so I doubt they will be applying. If you are talking about people who are HIV positive, then you are wrong as with modern medications people with HIV should be able to function in the military just fine.
regarding your smart alec first paragraph...........would you say the same to women if Obama ordered men and women to be bunked together during boot camp ?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jeeeze louise, how old are you? Here's your wake up call Mortimer, if you have showered in the military, the school washrooms after basketball, the shower at your firehall, the shower at your golf club, the shower at your communal swimming pool, the shower at your men's club, the shower......etc., etc.. YOU have showered with gays.

At my advanced age I've come to realize that there are some things in life that go beyond laws and political manoeuvering that have existed since the beginning of time. Discovering at a 30 year reunion that a guy I served with was gay. A co-worker I've known and worked alongside came out after having worked alongside a bunch of us for years without broadcasting any of those "overhyped" tells you folks all seem to think they carry like **** on a bull; has taught me something about tolerance.

Your fears about these folks are ill-founded and pointless. fact of the matter is, you co-exist with them, you have co-existed with them without even knowing, and will continue to do so in spite of your irrational fear.

My father, a WWII veteran, put a lot of this into perspective with a comment upon my brother and I questioning him about "homos" in the military. "Boys; we were not about to insert a point of concern or open a can of worms when you needed everyone to perform to their best. If they did so and we survived, the question then became moot."

your last paragraph tells me ..." don't ask, don't tell " .... would be the best way to handle gays in the military

Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So Obama threatens our men of honor.
The higher ranking officer gives orders to lower ranking officers, not vice versa. The lower ranking officer always has the option to resign. Refusal to obey orders on battle field could have more serious concequences which of course was not the case here.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Hmmm... I look at it this way. If I'm in the military in the heat of battle, or if s*** hits the fan in this country do I honestly care about the gender, sexual preference, or skin color of the fellow Americans who are fighting alongside me? No.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Baloney. Military officers take their orders from their generals, not a politically elected president.
When you post stuff like this, that's when you KNOW any argument is a waste of time.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I read that bolded part and got an immediate picture in my head of millions of homophobes screeching in horror at that reality. Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies