Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

We often hear how the south isn't progressive and is behind other regions in various ways. I'm not familiar with the history of all southern states but I think some would be surprised at some of the progressive things that the state of Georgia did before others states.

Examples:

The first newspaper using a native American language, The Cherokee Phoenix, was founded in Georgia in 1828.

Georgia was the first state to give women full property rights (1866).

Georgia was the first state to allow 18-year olds the right to vote (1943).

The Georgia Supreme Court was the first in the nation to recognize a constitutional right to privacy in 1905. The United States Supreme Court did not acknowledge this right until 1965.

Wesleyan College in Macon was the first college in world chartered to confer degrees to women (1836).

Spelman College in Atlanta was the first college in the world chartered for African American women (1881).

Juliette Gordon Low of Savannah founded the Girl Scouts of America (1912).

Georgia elected the first woman United States Senator, Rebecca Felton (1922).

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~wbroadwe/gafactsheet.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
The South is not really any worst off or backwards than anywhere else despite the stereotypes that people falsely believe in. I've been there before, and while I did notice some racism, I also notice some racism in other parts of the country too (such as in Southern California which is a liberal paradise). It's not everywhere in the south either, and it wasn't everyone, I was in the Jacksonville area which is where I noticed it. I however have been to Atlanta and Savanna and found them both to be enjoyable cities, same with Charleston SC which I found to be a very elegant city.

It's like everywhere else, you have your good places and your bad places. You have your good people and your bad people.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Then you have the fact that the south has produced many of America's best writers and musicians.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Back in the old days, there were a lot of radical farm workers. Huey Long types. It's not well remembered today, but disenfranchisement wasn't limited to black people. Poor whites were often hit up with poll taxes and literacy tests for all the same reasons. Somehow, the Right has coopted the populist radical rhetoric in more recent days. Go figure.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
We often hear how the south isn't progressive and is behind other regions in various ways. I'm not familiar with the history of all southern states but I think some would be surprised at some of the progressive things that the state of Georgia did before others states.

Examples:

The first newspaper using a native American language, The Cherokee Phoenix, was founded in Georgia in 1828.

Georgia was the first state to give women full property rights (1866).

Georgia was the first state to allow 18-year olds the right to vote (1943).

The Georgia Supreme Court was the first in the nation to recognize a constitutional right to privacy in 1905. The United States Supreme Court did not acknowledge this right until 1965.

Wesleyan College in Macon was the first college in world chartered to confer degrees to women (1836).

Spelman College in Atlanta was the first college in the world chartered for African American women (1881).

Juliette Gordon Low of Savannah founded the Girl Scouts of America (1912).

Georgia elected the first woman United States Senator, Rebecca Felton (1922).

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~wbroadwe/gafactsheet.htm

I will point out that Rebecca Felton was not 'elected' but appointed to fill a vacancy, and served a total of 24 hours in office.

According to the US Senate website, the first woman actually elected to the US Senate was Hattie Wyatt Caraway of Arkansas: she too had been appointed for a vacancy (death of her Senate husband), but she ran for, and won, election in her own right (Arkansas, 1932).

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > People > Senators > Women in the Senate

Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
The founder of Georgia was James Olgelthorpe, clearly a proto-progressive. He saw Georgia as an alternative to Brit prisons, and a way to deal with what was then called "human offal." He also campaigned against mistreatment of sailors in the Royal Navy.

James Oglethorpe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Then you have the fact that the south has produced many of America's best writers and musicians.
Coca Cola. Pepsi Cola, Kristie Kream and MANY other things came from the South.

Jesse Helms, the Senator the left loves to hate, was the FIRST Senator to have black on his staff.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Coca Cola. Pepsi Cola, Kristie Kream and MANY other things came from the South.

Jesse Helms, the Senator the left loves to hate, was the FIRST Senator to have black on his staff.
Jesse Helms is your idea of progressive??

WTF??

Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
I'm no fan of Jesse Helms. But like most human beings, he was a mixed bag. The current social trend of assigning all persons and organizations to one " side" or the other, turns people into cartoons. Denying that there is middle ground and assuming that your political opponent is inherently evil is a recipe for disintegration.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Back in the old days, there were a lot of radical farm workers. Huey Long types. It's not well remembered today, but disenfranchisement wasn't limited to black people. Poor whites were often hit up with poll taxes and literacy tests for all the same reasons. Somehow, the Right has coopted the populist radical rhetoric in more recent days. Go figure.
A lot of radical movements in the South were more agrarian and populist than progressive. And many had very ugly racial elements in which the elites and landed gentry played poor backcountry whites against equally poor or poorer rural blacks. The founding of Clemson University in South Carolina is a particularly facinating example of this.

Embracing of progressivism didn't really occur until the New Deal which lifted millions of poor Southerners out of rural poverty. Even then that progressivism was mostly economic as social, mostly racial attitudes, only changed by will of the Federal Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies