Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times

Advertisements

As it happens, I remember my scoutmaster's wife well. She was a heavy lady, back before that was such a common sight. She liked to make things on her sewing machine and was fairly involved in the church where the scouts met. They had two boys in the troop. I was a member for a few years, and when you know people that long, you know basic facts like whether or not they are married. It'd be very hard to hide somwthing like that, frankly.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
As it happens, I remember my scoutmaster's wife well.
Wow, amazing! Who would have expected that this guy just happens to have a scoutmaster who often discussed his wife and even introduced little kids to her?! Incredible! What a coincidence! Too bad he wasn't gay ...oh, wait, he was?? What a coincidence!! And he was also the nicest and most competent Scout Master in the state?? OMG! What a coincidence!! This is amazing!!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Not sure what you are getting at. It was a church group, which many (most?) are. People at church know each other and often come with their families. I wouldn't say he discussed her often, but it wasn't a secret they were married either. I presume he wasn't gay because he had a wife and two kids, but it would have made no difference to the troop's activities if he had been. What point are you trying to make?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at. It was a church group, which many (most?) are. People at church know each other and often come with their families. I wouldn't say he discussed her often, but it wasn't a secret they were married either. I presume he wasn't gay because he had a wife and two kids, but it would have made no difference to the troop's activities if he had been. What point are you trying to make?
Wow, a Boy Scout troop with a heterosexual leader that was affiliated with a church? You must have hated them, huh? That's horrible, right?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM

No, I don't care much what other people's sexual orientations are, and I see no reason to exclude or "hate" anybody on that basis. That's been my whole point all along. I'm still having trouble understanding your position. Do you maintain that scouts are unaware of the families of the adults who run their local organization? In my experience, it's usually the parents of one of the scouts, so it's extra obvious. My dad volunteered for a little while too, but he was never the master. Just a parent volunteer.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM

231 posts, read 382,010 times
Here is my take, having a son in Cub Scouts and being a den leader...

At this age, why is sexual orientation even an issue. The Scouting program should be open to all boys as the program isn't designed to turn them in to better straight men but better people who are better prepared and more well rounded for the future.

If you aren't familiar with the program, leaders have to take child protection training every few years. There are things like "two deep leadership" so kids aren't alone with just one adult. With all these steps adults have to take, it is obvious there was an issue before gay scouts or scout masters became an issue.

This is the real world, in order to make kids better people, they are going to need to learn to live with people that are different than them. They will be rubbing elbows with people from all walks of life for the rest of their lives, tall, short, fat, skinny, male, female, black, white, gay, straight. People are different and should be embraced for their differences. We need to learn to live together.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No, I don't care much what other people's sexual orientations are, and I see no reason to exclude or "hate" anybody on that basis.
Wow! If only you had formed a group that someone wanted to join, right? Oh, well ...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
At this age, why is sexual orientation even an issue.
Interesting you say that, since homosexuals often say that they knew they were sexually attracted to men even at ages like 5 and 6. That was to "prove" that homosexuality was innate, so you can't now forget it and go "wow, these 10 year olds' sexual orientation isn't even an issue, right? I mean, that 10-year-old is apparently sexually attracted to other boys, if you buy their claims.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
We need to learn to live together.
Sure, but that doesn't mean we have to live together ALL the time. Like, I can't walk into a women's locker room at the gym and say "hey, we're all different, we need to learn to live together and accept our differences!"

Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM

231 posts, read 382,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Interesting you say that, since homosexuals often say that they knew they were sexually attracted to men even at ages like 5 and 6. That was to "prove" that homosexuality was innate, so you can't now forget it and go "wow, these 10 year olds' sexual orientation isn't even an issue, right? I mean, that 10-year-old is apparently sexually attracted to other boys, if you buy their claims.

Sure that may be the case, but why does it matter? They go there to learn to be better people buy learning skills, doing community service projects and helping others. Why does it matter if a boy is attracted to another boy. That same boy goes to school with other boys and nothing happens, it isn't like he is a monster preying on the youth at scouts. He is just another boy who isn't there to discuss his sexual orientation, but to learn new skills and life tools to be a better person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies