Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM

594 posts, read 345,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by aedubber
There are extreme idiots on BOTH sides of the party ... FACT

This article is from Salon, arguably one of the most extreme left leaning rags on the planet.

You can't call out the Republican party if you do not recognize that extremists have taken over the DNC as well. That would be hypocritical.
The extreme on the left is abortions for any reason, at any time, even after the baby has been born, as long as the mother still wants to kill it. The extreme on the religious left, is to have government ban all abortions and all birth control.

While I dsagree with both of the above extremes, I do think the side that favors the unfettered killing of viable infants and fetus, is a less moral position to take then trying to preserve life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
The morning after pill is not very reliable. A woman I know said that planed parenthood was giving her daughter the morning after pills instead of the normal birth control pills. Her daughter got pregnant.

BTW, how often must teen or tween girl get knocked up that she needs taxpayers to keep her supplied with free morning after pills?
Ahhhh ignorance.

No her daughter got pregnant because she didnt take birth control.

Plan-B is a emergency birth control method that has only a 89% effective rate. It is NOT used for birth control. Planned parenthood does not prescribe them for birth control-they're for people who werent on birth control, had sex, and are worried about being pregnant afterwards-IE either rape victims, drunk idiots, or idiots.

Apparently both you, your friend, and her daughter need to attend a sex ed class.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:24 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by aedubber
There are extreme idiots on BOTH sides of the party ... FACT

This article is from Salon, arguably one of the most extreme left leaning rags on the planet.

You can't call out the Republican party if you do not recognize that extremists have taken over the DNC as well. That would be hypocritical.
That's like saying a thread started by a cat owner discussing cat problems is hypocritical if it does not also discuss dog problems.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM

741 posts, read 764,096 times
“What happened to the Republican Party that I joined?”

The GOP I was affiliated with, when I first began to become politically involved (I was president of my congressional district Teen Age Republican organization) ... wasn't much different than what's happened to the party recently. In the early-1960s, the Barry Goldwater campaign years, the party was greatly influenced by the John Birch Society. Today the party is over-influenced by the Tea Party. Both of them have a lot in common with the KKK, just the sheets over their heads are missing. History repeats itself, as we can see.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
I grew up a Republican, idolized Reagan...looked up to the viewpoints of my parents and their parents.

I am still very much infused with many of those values, patriotism, liberty, responsibility not only for yourself but for your community.

I cannot back the GOP and it is so soul crushing when I go into vote when I generally cannot vote Republican.

The GOP fails to understand how respecting the rights of the individual means staying out of the private and personal lives of Americans (abortion which I believe is wrong should remain legal, gay marriage, etc).
I also believe in planning for an America that will benefit the next generation and that means being concerned over climate change which is backed by 99.99999% of climate scientists. That means funding high speed rail or incentivizing it in the private sector. This means not allowing oil companies to run all over the environment or allowing financial institutions become "too big to fail" where they could bring down the economy of the United States. And this is just for starters...

Enough of the knuckle dragging, anti education, anti intellectual, anti liberty Republican party of today. You guys are NOTHING like the Founding Fathers of this nation, NOTHING.

Don't even get me started on the Democratic Party (even though I think largely outside of social issues they are the same. Beholden to corporate masters to the detriment of small business and the common man in this country.)

Old 06-06-2014, 01:47 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Seems like an idiotic article. I'm an atheist and support legal abortion. Yet at the same time, I see no reason whatsoever why the taxpayers should have to pay for it. If you want to scr*w w/o protection, why should I be the one to fund your mistakes?

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The lunatics took over.

The Tea Party is slightly to blame. While originally not a problem, certain Republican politicians started to identify with the Tea Party but turned out to be utterly insane. Claiming they support grass roots beliefs, they didn't specify how far back they go. Pretty far back. They became more reactionary. So Pro-tradition, than anything not already established as a social norm is wrong, like gays or other gender identities, as well as many religious issues. Basically, they adopted extreme social conservationism. This attracted more crazy people, leading to various republicans making ridiculous remarks. I remember a while back, some politicians said "if abortion is legal, then men should be able to rape women legally." Something like that gives the entire party a bad name, which is a reason why Republicans are loosing support, especially to younger voters who are certainly more socially liberal.

I don't think all Republicans are sexist or incapable of in depth thought, but the loudest ones seem to be. That's the problem, in my opinion.
Which is precisely the reason why we (the GOP) need to forget the social issues, we lost that war ... time to move on to the real issues like the economy, foreign policy, defense, border security, etc

Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Which is precisely the reason why we (the GOP) need to forget the social issues, we lost that war ... time to move on to the real issues like the economy, foreign policy, defense, border security, etc
Agreed. The Tea Party started out that way...until they got off on tangent with the religious right. Social issues are (or should be) personal choices, not the governments. Too many on both sides want to use government to punish anyone that doesn't think as they do. And have been very successful at it.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I really don't know what I'd do if I had to put up with leaders like James Inhofe or Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry. I just don't understand what it is that people see in Republicans that makes them say "Yeah, I think they can lead the country well." We used to have a party here called the Rhino Party. They would include in their platform things like leveling the Rocky Mountains to give Alberta an extra half-hour of daylight. Or there's Doug Henning, a magician of some fame in the 70's who was seriously into astral projection and transcendental meditation and all that garbage. He ran in the 1993 federal election representing the Natural Law party in a riding in Ontario.

I'd trust either bunch more than I'd trust Republicans.
The Rhino Party actually did pretty well in some some Montreal ridings.
Even though it`s a nonsensical party, I'd STILL trust them more than the Bachman, Sharon (a rape baby is God' gift) Angle, Palin, 'I am not a witch' O'Donnell, Pray for Rain Perry or Uzbecki-becki-becki Cain.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd
The morning after pill is not very reliable. A woman I know said that planed parenthood was giving her daughter the morning after pills instead of the normal birth control pills. Her daughter got pregnant.

BTW, how often must teen or tween girl get knocked up that she needs taxpayers to keep her supplied with free morning after pills?
Baloney. Planned Parenthood wouldn't give morning-after pills in lieu of regular BC pills. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies