Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You say it's not a continuously ongoing expense, then immediately admit it's a continuously ongoing expense.
Once every 10-15 years is not a daily expense. Do you have a hard time telling the difference between 1 and 3,652? Is it a math problem?

And street sweepers? Don't make me laugh...

Does anyone even have that service any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
If you think a family of oil barons are derailing public transit because of safety concerns, I have oceanfront property in the Gobi Desert to sell you.
So what's the secret?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Sorry, but the government is there it provide goods and services to its citizens who can't individually attain them, through the use of taxes. .
Since when?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Once every 10-15 years is not a daily expense. Do you have a hard time telling the difference between 1 and 3,652? Is it a math problem?

And street sweepers? Don't make me laugh...

Does anyone even have that service any more?
Do you have a hard time realizing that work is done on roads beside the occasional repaving? The fact is that roads are insanely expensive to build and maintain, and require constant upkeep despite your mind-bogglingly stupid insistence that they incur no costs besides repaving every decade or so.

And yes, streets are still swept. And salted. And plowed. And potholes are repaired. And lines are repainted.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Since when?
Good question.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do you have a hard time realizing that work is done on roads beside the occasional repaving?
Not as much work as you imagine.
Quote:
The fact is that roads are insanely expensive to build and maintain, and require constant upkeep despite your mind-bogglingly stupid insistence that they incur no costs besides repaving every decade or so.
I live on a private road that our HOA maintains itself. Including that and all of our other expenses, including the maintenance of common property, the cost is only $100 annually per household. Can you guess we don't have all the road maintenance costs you ridiculously claim?
Quote:
And yes, streets are still swept. And salted. And plowed. And potholes are repaired. And lines are repainted.
Wow, you live a sheltered life. It's not like that here, at all.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Why are they meddling in the affairs of a state and city they don't even live in?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,997 times
Quote:
It would have to charge enough to break even or turn a profit to not be a drain on public resources. Has the rapid transit project been projected to break even or turn a profit? If not, it's just another black hole that sucks taxpayers' money.
This is a good point, and I know of (I could be wrong) no such project that has been successful in any city, except for the "San Diego Trolley," but I seem to recall reading that even that has not been profitable in recent years.

People like their automobiles, because they take them directly from point A to point B. Any transit system has a specific begin and end destination. You have to figure out how to get to it, and how to reach your ultimate destination when you get off. That probably paying for parking at one end, and perhaps taking a cab where you get off. It's inconvenient, costs you more money and time, and that's why people don't use these systems.

The reason out of state people might be against this project is that (from what I read) it requires Federal dollars. WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY! That means every man woman and child in America is going to be paying for what is likely to turn out to be another boondoggle. I say NO.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why are they meddling in the affairs of a state and city they don't even live in?
They're not. It's locals who are opposed to it: The Tennessee office of Americans for Prosperity

Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
They're not. It's locals who are opposed to it: The Tennessee office of Americans for Prosperity
Quote:
Charles and David Koch live in Kansas and New York, respectively. Their interest in a Nashville transit project doesn't sit well with its supporters.

"The Amp Yes coalition is a coalition of local businesses, local individuals and local organizations that live in the community and have a dedication to finding the answers that make this community a great community to live in," said Ralph Schulz, president and CEO of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce.

"These are the people that drive these roads every day, need the alternative transportation opportunities, know where Nashville's headed and know what kind of community they want Nashville to be."
Yeah, i understand that.

Still though, what in the hell would those two know about local Nashville issues? Nothing.

Just doesn't sit well with me that a couple of yahoos from Wisconsin (or whatever icebox they come from) is meddling in a local Nashville issue.

But whatever...i don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies