Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The gays will demand to be able to wear sequins and other sparkly things.
Sure they will. Name any country where gays have served in the military for a long time, in which they wanted to wear sequins and sparkly things.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Come to my hood in NJ.... I can show you where the black population that lives in a NON ghetto town still tries to claim some sort of " hood " gangsta wannabe look. I live in north NJ , i can take you down to Camden area or up north by Newark and Irvington. Actually i can take you to A LOT of areas where you will see black people being wannabe thugs.

Its amazing when you see a grown ass man , with a family , talking and acting ghetto.. Figured they would grow out of that phase but most dont. They want to be their "own" group of people.
Maybe that is the difference.

I don't know a lot of ghetto acting people, not even in the hood where I live. And believe me, I live in the ghetto. I also do a lot of community work and so have frequent contact with teens. And I live near my old college so I see students and interact with them quite often and young black people do not overwhelmingly wear baggy clothes. That is old school. They are more into the hipster look like how Pharrell Williams dresses with the blazers and fitted pants and such. They are cute to me and I like the new look. My son is becoming more fashion focused as a 12 year old (some girl has a crush on him so he is dressing better!) and so I have to take him to his favorite store - H&M. What I call "the little man's store" lol. There are a ton of guys, mostly black always in there buying tight pants. Their pants are so tight I won't even let my son buy certain pants from there lol. Even though he wants to as that is the style.

But I am just not a low class type of person. I will be confident in my statement that black people as a whole, the majority of us are not "ghetto" (not even a majority of poor black people) nor do we overwhelmingly exhibit low class dress or behavior and many of us are very focused on fashion trends. Baggy is sooooo 1990s.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sure they will. Name any country where gays have served in the military for a long time, in which they wanted to wear sequins and sparkly things.
Canada

Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The vast majority of hairstyles are prohibited to both genders and all races. No one gender or race should be allowed to have whatever hairstyle they want. A White, male aquaintance (former employee) had to cut his dreadlocks when he joined the army. So I guess the army discriminates against White, male douches.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Again, I am so glad i don't have to baby sit anymore.....

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Maybe that is the difference.

I don't know a lot of ghetto acting people, not even in the hood where I live. And believe me, I live in the ghetto. I also do a lot of community work and so have frequent contact with teens. And I live near my old college so I see students and interact with them quite often and young black people do not overwhelmingly wear baggy clothes. That is old school. They are more into the hipster look like how Pharrell Williams dresses with the blazers and fitted pants and such. They are cute to me and I like the new look. My son is becoming more fashion focused as a 12 year old (some girl has a crush on him so he is dressing better!) and so I have to take him to his favorite store - H&M. What I call "the little man's store" lol. There are a ton of guys, mostly black always in there buying tight pants. Their pants are so tight I won't even let my son buy certain pants from there lol. Even though he wants to as that is the style.

But I am just not a low class type of person. I will be confident in my statement that black people as a whole, the majority of us are not "ghetto" nor are we low class and many of us are very focused on fashion trends. Baggy is sooooo 1990s.

I agree with a lot of what you say but the fact and realism is different here in NJ. I can even tell you that since the baggy lifestyle is out, i still see peoples asses hanging out and its only from the black community.I am not trying to point fingers but that is what i witness on a daily basis and its a shame that such idiots ruin it for others

Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
BS...start providing some instances or your claim is complete BS....
The military doesn't have a long history of discrimination? Really?

We didn't even officially integrate until 1948...and it still took SEVERAL years afterward to get it done despite the order that it was to be immediate.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The baggy style is still very much a black thing. Stop trying to pretend it isn't. You seem very embarrassed by your fellow blacks for you to try and go out on a limb defending this.
What's wrong with baggy clothing?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Geeze..if your hair is longer than your collar then just put it in a damn ponytail and bun otherwise cut it short.

Bunch of prima donnas whining about their "styles" being racially discriminating ?
What..White girls don't braid their hair ?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The military has a long history of discrimination. There has always been standards that only affect certain individuals...
As if only folks with hair that is wiry can braid their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies